Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #1

WHAT IS THE BEST CB RADIO and ANTENNA TO BUY?

I will be getting a CB installed in my SMB in a couple of weeks in addition to up grading my OME radio. I have a 2M and 440 MHz hand held Ham radios and FRS hand held. I have read all the threads on CB radios and antennas but some of the info may not be current. But, a whip antenna breaking a solar panel is good info.

I have a great person, Stereo John, to install everything. He recommended Cobra 29 and a FireStik 3 ft antenna that can bend 90 degrees. It is removable with a wrench.

The biggest issue I have had is where to mount a CB without a mic cord hanging in my face maybe that is solved. Go to the following web site scroll down to NEWS on the center left.
https://www.cobra.com/index.cfm

If the van radio with a CD/DVD player I get is a single din, I would have space under it. Has any one mounted a CB there?

Daveb and Zeta talked 50 miles apart. What do you have today? Could you talk that far away because one of you have a AM/SSB radio, or, because of your antenna?

Angel

2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:09 PM   #2

Re: WHAT IS THE BEST CB RADIO and ANTENNA TO BUY?

Hi Angel,

A couple weeks ago I installed the Cobra 75 WX ST. I chose that one because there is no visible radio box, it has a small box hidden behind the panel under the steering wheel. All I have is the mic cord coming out of the panel. All the controls are in the mic. I also installed an external speaker up near the ceiling. So far I like it. I can tell you more about it when I get back from the meet-up in Death Valley.

Talk to you later,
Woody
Old 03-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #3

I'm a big fan of the cobra BT 29- it's top notch as a CB and the bluetooth for hands free is a nice option (it helps to hold the cb while on the phone which is not illegal, and a normal bluetooth headset is better for long conversations if you know you'll be talking, but for driving and picking up a call or whatever the CB is better than fumbling with the headset)

My actual favorite CB is a radioshack model that isn't made anymore.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:28 AM   #4

I'm with Woody on the Cobra 75. I don't use a CB that often, and couldn't find a mounting location I liked. I mounted the cigarette pack size unit behind the passenger side dash and just plug in the mike when I need it. Very happy with the unit. Fifty mile range with a CB is very unusual, don't count on it. That's what your ham is for. A mount below a single din radio sounds like a good idea. I use a Wilson antenna that I screw on the roof bracket when needed.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:49 AM   #5

Today my rig went into the shop to have installed:

Solarcon 8 Tunable CB Antenna Whip Magnet Mount/Cable 50 Watt Black Coated Whip - Solarcon A-108PM

Cobra 29WXNWST Nightwatch 40 Channel CB Radio.
I hope to have the CB mounted on the overhead and tuck the cord into the overhead space.
Will also get a PA speaker behind the grill, to call my dog when he is on a walk-about.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:43 AM   #6

bigdog,
By "tuck the cord into the over head space" are you referring to the mic cord? How are you going to keep it from hanging in your face or are you going to tuck it in after every use?

Where are you going to mount your antenna?

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #7

The mic cord will be tucked into the cubby hole/compartment. These compartments are part of the overhead....just above the windshield. The mic will set on the CB unit, or between the pass. And driver side compartments. So yes it will have to be tucked in after use.

The antennae will be mounted just above the CB. It will easily clear the penthouse and solar panels.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:55 PM   #8

Speaking of... my antenna is mounted opposite the radio antenna. Not the ideal position but it works well.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:30 AM   #9

WHAT IS THE BEST CB RADIO and ANTENNA TO BUY?

I have a cb and magnetic antenna on my old truck and was going to hook it up in my SMB. I was trying to figure out the best place to run the wire. If I were to (a) magnetize the antenna to the front before the PH, would I be able to easily run my wire through the Canvas window? And or (b) through the side pop out. My only concern is the wire going down over the gutter and not having a good enough seal on the window. Help and suggestions would be great. And a big 10-4 good buddies.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #10

Hi Angel
Your Cruisertop kind of rules out the top for an antenna location. Other than what Jage suggested about (opposite side from the am/fm antenna) you are left with either a bumper mount or a sidewall mount. I would go with a rear bumper mount and try and protect it against tree branches or brush that may come into play. I did have a short 1/4 wave 2m antenna set up opposite the am/fm antenna for a while. It worked fine, wasn't too obtrusive. But I would not want a hamstick in that location.

I have a remote 2m mic mounted on the doghouse so the mic cord does not hang in my face. I just installed a CB on a temporary basis for the DV trip next week. The base is mounted directly behind the drivers seat with the mic mounted on the sidewall just above my head.

charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote