Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2009, 03:45 PM   #1

Where do you hang your solar shower?

Heading for a long weekend and will be using a bag-style solar shower for the first time. We have a privy tent in which the showering will take place, but can't figure out just where to hang the bag. Any suggestions for a place on the van that would work?

Would 40lbs be too much to hook over the end of an open back door?

Eventual plans for a PVC tube mounted to the roof, but I'm busy enough building cabinets and mounting solar panels right now

Cheers,
Mike.

mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:14 PM   #2

Re: Where do you hang your solar shower?

Roof rack, or just the corner of the roof. I don't *think* it needs to be hung, ie can place it flat on the roof. Since the shower head will still be lower than the bag, it should work.
40lbs on a door would be fine, but easily enough to put it out of alignment if all bolts aren't perfectly torqued. Don't think it would be very hard to make /find a clip or C-clamp so you could use the roof gutter.

I made a PVC one from 4" drain pipe, about $50 in parts and 2 hours to build, holds 6 gallons. Dead simple.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:37 PM   #3

Thanks!

I started with them up on the roof (makes it pretty hard to lift the top, with 80lbs of water and a solar panel!) which would have worked well, but the hoses from the bags weren't long enough.

Ended up hanging a bag from the awning support pole when the awning was out, but wasn't super stoked with having that much weight on the aluminum leg. I'll add some tubing to the shower before next time, and pop it back up on the roof.

Cheers!
Mike.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:47 PM   #4
BC

I've placed mine on the roof for heating while driving (flat near rack securred with straps,etc), but the best place-- and where it seemed to spend most of its time this summer -- was just hanging off the ladder on the right rear door. That proved to be a perfect set-up for both heating when it was hot enough (altho not as good as direct sun on roof) AND dispensing water easily off the back, where it could also be supplemented with on-board shower/water. Not sure what your set-up is but if you have a spare tire or a ladder on the back, that's a good option.
BC is offline   Reply With Quote