Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2015, 02:40 PM   #11
Site Team

Re: Which saw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
...One of these will be going on my front bumper soon as well, but an axe is still not the preferred tool IMO to cut down a basketball diameter oak tree.

http://www.amazon.com/Hi-Lift-Jack-HA-5 ... multi+tool

Personal preference, but I prefer the MaxAx over the Hi Lift version, as I think it's more of a solid attachment.
http://forresttoolco.com/the_max.html

Sometimes you can find a good deal on a military (OD green) version. Here's a not-so-good deal on one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NIB-MAX-AX-TOOL ... 335wt_1161

Herb

Old 02-24-2015, 03:01 PM   #12

Here is my choice and it serves me well. You can seem to find all kinds of firewood even around popular campsites that is 6 to 8 in in diameter. This little saw will cut 3 days worth of firewood with one battery. I also have a second battery and a 12v charger. I have never run out of power yet. They are available at Home Depot and the new Lithium batteries are super. They are quiet also so they don't attract attention. You can have your firewood cut before anyone is even aware of it. I never get the gas models out anymore even around the house. This thing earns it's keep. I see now that they have a 40volt model.

Paul
Old 02-24-2015, 04:58 PM   #13

A battery powered Sawz-all is NOT what I would want to use with a downed tree. Besides, anything small enough to cut with the largest Saw-zall blade, I would just drive over!

I've used mine for doing limbing in my backyard, and eats through batteries fast. Way too fast to be af any use clearing a roadway.

If you want battery-powered, this is probably a good place to start: http://oregoncordless.com/product/chain-saw-cs250/
Old 02-24-2015, 05:15 PM   #14

I have cut six inch diameter branches with an electric saws all and it is no fun. Chain saw works better and is much faster.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:16 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage

We use the Oregon and Stihl battery powered units at work and they preform really well cutting power poles. They don't do as good as a gas model but not bad and do great in trees. My issue is they are messy and large. A Sawzall sucks cutting anything over 3 inches IMO no matter what blade you use.

I've thought about a small battery power chainsaw but feel a 6 inch bar would be fine for my needs. I'd only have it for firewood and I prefer smaller sized cuts. Not a fan of things that require oil but it sure would be a handy tool. I do carry a 21" Sven saw, a Max ax and a hand maul.

Attached Images

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:46 PM   #16

Hmmm, I'm really liking the idea of the cordless chainsaws. Looks like that might be a good addition to the van, and I could add a light or other tool with the same batteries. What I'm liking is that they are virtually silent. Does anyone know if the chains are easily removable for sharpening like a regular saw? I have a chainsaw sharpener from Harbor Freight and it may be the best tool I ever bought from them.
I am going to look in to a Ryobi probably. I've seen the Oregon, Husky, and other higher end battery chainsaws and they are much more than the Stihl gas saw I am considering.

What I wonder is if one of these will suffice for the cutting and clearing I need to do around the house.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:03 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage

IIRC one of the ones we use/tested has a sharpener built in but don't quote me.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:22 PM   #18

Once again OBC comes through with the best advice. Check 'em out:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-14-...stomer_reviews

https://www.ryobitools.com/search/ou...query=chainsaw

And check out the reviews at Home Depot (some of the Home Depot reviews are hinky but others are impressive):

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors-...5yc1vZbxa8Z1aw

No fuel to carry (but you would still need bar oil).
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:29 PM   #19

The video of the Oregon showed a built in sharpener. I've got to figure out how that works! Brilliant.

Also check out sawgrip.com. I'll be adding one to my Rzr.
Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:56 PM   #20

If you plan on carrying it inside the van, cordless is the way to go IMO. No matter what, a gas powered chainsaw will stink up the van, unless it's brand new and not fueled. Even a good case only reduces the fumes. I definitely have on my to-buy list, even though I have an assortment of gas chainsaws at my disposal. Also, you won't have to problems with altitude jets being inevitably wrong for you altitude.