Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2015, 10:11 PM   #21
Site Team

Re: Which saw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
If you plan on carrying it inside the van, cordless is the way to go IMO. No matter what, a gas powered chainsaw will stink up the van, unless it's brand new and not fueled. Even a good case only reduces the fumes. I definitely have on my to-buy list, even though I have an assortment of gas chainsaws at my disposal. Also, you won't have to problems with altitude jets being inevitably wrong for you altitude.
Not to mention the ethanol mixed in with gas these days does not have a long shelf life before it starts degrading. I've had gas in string trimmers go bad after sitting just a few months.

Herb

Old 02-26-2015, 08:08 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
A battery powered Sawz-all is NOT what I would want to use with a downed tree. Besides, anything small enough to cut with the largest Saw-zall blade, I would just drive over!

I've used mine for doing limbing in my backyard, and eats through batteries fast. Way too fast to be af any use clearing a roadway.

If you want battery-powered, this is probably a good place to start: http://oregoncordless.com/product/chain-saw-cs250/
Just bought one two days ago and received it today. Pretty impressive just looking at it. Real test will come soon! Now to mount it on my Rzr with the Sawgrip which should be here in a few days!
Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:04 AM   #23

I have the ryobi in my van along with there vacuum cleaner other than an oiling issue every now and then both have worked fine for years. When we carried it in the jeep it saw a lot of use at big south fork and LBL only a couple occasion where a bow saw or axe were needed.
Hope this helps
Jim
4x4sporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:49 AM   #24

Thanks to all. My research has pretty much landed me at the decision that I need two tools.

Small gas chainsaw pros:
1. I want one, and can't seem to stop dwelling on it (Stihl MS192T specifically).
2. I really need one because when I cut wood it's an all day affair far away from a charger. My other saws get used too, but are big and heavy.
3. It would suffice as a saw for the van since I won't be carrying it inside, but it's not perfect.
4. It's lightweight, at 7.5# it's much lighter than most of the battery powered saws. They are mostly 9, 10 or even 12 pounds, getting close to the weight of my big saws and they have much less ability for that weight.
5. I can get one new for $279, and I can't find a quality battery saw, plus charger and extra batteries for that little anywhere else. I'm ruling out the 18v stuff because I just don't think it will suffice for my woodcutting needs, so basically I'm meaning the 36 or 40 volt saws.

Cons:
1. Fuel storage issue, not a big one for me though. I'll have mix prepared for anytime it might be needed. I use the mix for many other things around my place year round, mostly my blower.
2. Noise
3. I'm not shelling out for multiple batteries for a cordless saw, too risky and maintenance intensive. No doubt they'd be dead when I needed them, and an emergency is the whole reason I want to carry a saw in the van.
4. My wife and son can't use it, for safety reasons.

Cordless/battery saw pros:
1. Silent
2. Green, but that's not really that much of an issue either. I'm not using it that much.
3. Cleaner and never smelly, can be stored anywhere.
4. They stop instantly when the trigger is released. This is a great way to let me son (and wife when needed) use a chainsaw, and for him a safer way to learn.

cons:
1. Batteries must be maintained and aren't cheap. Yet another thing to remember to plug in and I try to keep most things SMB related off grid. Is it even good to run battery chargers on a MSW inverter?
2. Saws just aren't as robust as gas. The top-of-the-line ones are but they are $7-800 bucks. Not gonna happen right now.
3. Weight, as explained above.

So, basically, I think I'd like both and am trying to decide which one to go for first. If I could borrow or try a battery saw I might be swayed, but I hate to buy something like that and use and possibly return it. I think I will eventually have both types. Tools make me happy.

I also with I could find a few more reviews, Youtube vids, etc. on this one, which is a strong contender on the battery powered side.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_506890-95404-KC ... d=50154344

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:21 PM   #25

don't be scared of the new Ryobi batteries the big ones last forever I was ready to find another option myself before the new batteries came out a couple of years ago. I have been charging mine with and inverter for a while now and no issues . If you are coming thru KY anytime soon you are welcome to give mine a try.
4x4sporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:41 PM   #26

Gas saw - It would seem like you could probably only need to carry one gallon of mix plus what is in the saw.

Do you carry a generator on your trips? If so you mightn want to look at a corded electric saw. There are several manufactures. A friend uses one when he goes camping and really likes it.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:56 PM   #27
Site Team

Garage

Don't even think a battery powered saw will compete with gas powered type. Just ain't gonna happen!!!

I do think they are a good backup or used as a light duty saw. They are not for pullin cord of wood in! I like them for limbing and easy stuff though. They still leak bar OIL

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:24 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie
Gas saw - It would seem like you could probably only need to carry one gallon of mix plus what is in the saw.

Do you carry a generator on your trips? If so you mightn want to look at a corded electric saw. There are several manufactures. A friend uses one when he goes camping and really likes it.
I do carry one Larrie, but I don't want to be attached to a cord all the time. That's a huge limitation for me, especially if I need to climb a ladder at home or get up on the roof to trim limbs etc.

Oh, I know a cordless doesn't compare Dave. I bought the Kobalt 40v 12" saw yesterday, but remember I'm really going to need both. I'm watching Craigslist for a 12 or 14" bar in-tree top handle gas saw. Anyway, my son and I are going to get out and experiment a little today cleaning up from the recent ice storms. I'll update how this little thing preforms. So far, I know this. It was the cheapest and lightest of the 'affordable' cordless saws at only $179 and only 8 lbs. Also, it takes a common Oregon chain which I can replace for about $12 on Amazon. I'm going to go ahead and order a spare.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:24 AM   #29

Garage

My experience with Ryobi is the batteries don't last. I don't mean they discharge quickly, I mean they permanently die quickly. I'm sure all of them are not that way, in deference to those that own the good ones.

I already have the axe/shovel mounted on my rear box. Nothing wrong with getting a little workout and earning your passage! For the frequency that I have needed a saw, I'll just carry a bow saw. However I am in Southern CA and frequent deserts.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:24 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
My experience with Ryobi is the batteries don't last. I don't mean they discharge quickly, I mean they permanently die quickly. I'm sure all of them are not that way, in deference to those that own the good ones.

I already have the axe/shovel mounted on my rear box. Nothing wrong with getting a little workout and earning your passage! For the frequency that I have needed a saw, I'll just carry a bow saw. However I am in Southern CA and frequent deserts.
Thanks Jeffrey. I forgot to mention that the Kobalt has a 5 year 'no hassle' return policy on the battery, saw, or charger. That basically means a return since when you have trouble and go back they probably won't stock the damn thing any more. The fact that the policy is printed all over the box I hope means that they are marketing it specifically keeping in mind that rechargeable batteries generally suck and die sooner than they should. We'll see. The receipt will be kept with the saw, that's for sure.