Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2015, 09:21 PM   #1

Window screens

I saw this on another site. Wire framed screens, looks easy to make. http://www.instructables.com/id/Automob ... ow-Screen/

Old 03-15-2015, 11:58 PM   #2

Re: Window screens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasrandall
I saw this on another site. Wire framed screens, looks easy to make. http://www.instructables.com/id/Automob ... ow-Screen/
If you are contemplating constructing screens like these i will offer a tip . If you chuck one end of the wire in a drill and secure the other end in a vise or locking pliers and rotate, it will straighten and stiffen the wire making it retain it's shape. Twisting will make a crooked piece of wire straight as an arrow .
Old 07-30-2015, 11:03 AM   #3

Re: Window screens

I came up with a pretty simple design for screens that are easy to make, install and stow away. The design is basically a rectangular bag that goes upside down over the top of the door and has inside finished dimensions of 36" W x 30" H with a slit on one side. When not needed they can be folded or rolled up and stuffed in a door pocket. Version 1.0 was essentially a single side of a bag with a little material that wrapped around door edges, but they were hard to install and would not stay in place if the door was opened.

I used mosquito netting (finer than window screen), which is a little more restrictive to air flow, but we have traveled enough to frequently experience very tiny creatures that can get through standard window screen material. If you are lucky to live in Seattle, you have Seattle Fabrics, which has a huge selection of outdoor fabrics.

To finish an edge it takes two folds of about 1/2" each and then stitched near the inside edge of the folded material---that uses 2" of material. So the raw piece of fabric should be 36+2+2" = 40" wide by (30+2)*2 = 64" long. It is helpful to use an iron set at about "polyester temperature" to make the two hem folds and then put pins across the width of the folds to keep the seem together while you sew it. I have a sewing machine, but am NO WHERE NEAR what you would call a seamster! Below are photos of the screen. What looks like a bar in the photos is rubberized magnetic tape that is just strong enough to do the job you should be able to find in any standard fabric store. I prefer it over those strong Neodymium magnets that can damage the screen and paint during installation and removal.

Follow these steps:
1) Hem one of the long sides (it will be the front edge of the screen).
2) Fold the fabric in half with the crease along the 40" width.
3) Hem the side opposite the side hemmed in 1), seaming together both sides of the fabric together (this will be the rear edge)
4) Hem the remaining unhemmed edge, which after 3) is about 72" long and will be the bottom edge).
5) Align the edges of the side hemmed in 1) and sew them together without any more hemming for about 10" starting at the crease described in 2) OR BETTER YET you decide exactly where to stop the stitch by putting the bag on one of the doors, studying the photos to see how that edge needs to ride along the rear edge of the side-view mirror.
6) Done! After you sew up the second one you should notice that either one will work on either door!
7) If you really think you need to do it, you could cut the bag on the diagonal above the mirror and somehow seam it, but I like just stopping after step 6!
Electrical: 4 cf fridge, nuker, water heater, compressor
Propane: stove top, furnace Travel: https://www.lugnutlife.wordpress.com
coyotearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 05:10 PM   #4

I had a similar idea...

but a total lack of seamstress skill.

I ended up with baby carriage bug nets over the top of door held with magnets.

There was no sewing involved, but it doesn't look as neat as your product.
zardac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:14 PM   #5

I’m working on a set right now. And yes, Seattle Fabrics is a great source! Best of all you can order from wherever you are and have it sent.
I do a lot of sewing, so I would suggest using gros-grain ribbon edging folded over once, instead of folding the screen itself several times. It’s less bulky,
and a lot sturdier for whatever type attachments you plan to use, and you also waste less of the screening,
as well as cutting and sewing to fit where you want it to go.
You can do the same thing with the metallic insulation pieces.
Good Luck,
ConnieKat
ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote