Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2009, 03:54 PM   #1

Campsite Posting Section

I would like to suggest adding a section to the SMB Forum where we can post the location of boondocking camp sites. I don't necessarily want to share my great finds with the entire world wide web so I would propose limiting access to this section to Forum Subscribers. This way we are only sharing with the most dedicated forum member, this will also provide an additional incentive for member to support the forum.

Another idea is having a requirement that someone post a campsite in order to maintain access to this section. This way everyone who is using it is also contributing.

I am not sure how we would organize it, I think at first we could have a thread for each state and then maybe split them into small regions as they grow. I don't really know the technical details behind how the forum works so I don't know what is possible.

I would be willing volunteer to moderate the section to be sure the posts are in keeping with what we decide is appropriate.

Please post your thoughts as to whether this is something you would use and contribute to and if you have suggestions on how to organize it and control access.

Thanks
John

Old 10-20-2009, 05:14 PM   #2

Re: Campsite Posting Section

We've had our SMB for about 9 months now, and while we've found some cool offroad sites, finding others is a neverending quest for us. We live in the San Francisco Bay area, and while its easier to find great locations a 4 hour drive away, in the Sierra Mountains, its more difficult to find anything closer to home. Providing that the information is restricted to active members, I would be happy to share some of our finds, for the insights of others.

I think this is a great idea.
Yubariver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:06 PM   #3

I think its a very good idea as well, and I would participate. Perhaps there needs to be a form to standardize the information.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:00 PM   #4

Made a test section below Homemade/Groundup. No forms, but it's restricted to Subscribers only at this time. (Well I made an exception for myself )

Note that Yubariver will not be able to see the section or any information within, nor will they be able to post.

Don't run off and send the forum money just for this. It's only a trial and I stand by the fact that a subscription "provides no tangible benefit above what you receive for free." I dislike the idea of an inner club in the forum and I encourage people to contribute in ways that does not get them a subscriber banner.

I welcome any better solutions. Please PM Geoffff and tell him I welcome any better solutions.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:33 PM   #5

Jage, I think that I must have confused being Registered with being a Subscriber. Actually, after a bit of website searching, I am still confused about the difference between subscribing to a topic, and being an actual Subscriber. Is there a set yearly fee involved in subscribing, or is it on a donation basis? Where on the site can I go to do this?

Frankly, I would gladly pay some reasonable amount to get the scoop on great camping sites...it is probably cheaper and more accurate than various 4x4 books out there, and a whole lot cheaper than driving around aimlessly looking for spots.

My dream is to find some great out of the way spot where I can get to in under 2 hours, essentially allowing us to impulsively go somewhere just for a night. I'm sick of ReserveAmerica and the fact that every good California State Park site near us is booked 7 months in advance. Given that we have an active dog, National Parks are out of the picture and even the leash laws in many State Parks and their adjacent trails are overly restrictive; Aaaaargh.
Yubariver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:09 PM   #6

Jage will probably get back to you but he set up a PayPal donation function some time ago to help defray the costs of hosting this site. Those who donate are thus "subscribers"...
Old 10-21-2009, 08:18 PM   #7

Hit the SUPPORT link above and read through it, that should give you all the info about becoming a subscriber. Feel free to ask questions.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Made a test section below Homemade/Groundup. No forms, but it's restricted to Subscribers only at this time. (Well I made an exception for myself )
No one has posted there yet, can anyone see it? Did I bung up the permissions?