Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2021, 02:21 PM   #1

Angry Danhard A/C Problems

I have a Danhard A/C installed by Sportsmobile. It is seldom used and when I need to use it, it does a poor job of cooling, if it works at all. After one frustrating attempt to use the system, I learned from Sportsmobile that there are two tiny circuit breakers beneath the bench seat. I found one that was out, clicked it back on and the system ran when I briefly tested it. So I thought the problem was fixed, but I never needed to run the system again for a long time. During my most recent trip, I tried to run the system again, when on ground power. The A/C ran for a few minutes and went off. Recalling the tiny CBs, I checked and one was off. I reset the CB and tried again. The system runs and cools, but for only 4-8 minutes before throwing one of those CBs again. The CB feels warm and will not reset until it cools for a few minutes. Does anyone have experience with this and know what might be causing this condition?

KenInRockwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 08:43 PM   #2

A good thread on Starcool is here:https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...nfo-26005.html

I included a relay flowchart that was in that link. The small circuit breaker you are talking about feeds the fuse block and relay panel discussed in this thread. I would check to make sure the fuse panel is OK. The circuit breaker is supposed to be 40 amps, it doesn't appear the that individual fuses are blowing so, I would look at the circuit breaker first.

The other circuit breaker goes to your house distribution fuse panel. I believe it is also 40 amps.

If it isn't the breaker, you can follow the flowchart, and turn things on as individually as you can. That might lead you to what items might be drawing more current then expected.

-greg
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Starcool relay panel flow chart.pdf (1.47 MB, 14 views)
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 07:34 PM   #3

If you have external 12v aux fans make sure they both are turning and are not seized. Both of mine were and caused the same symptoms as what you’re seeing. The resistance from the seized fans would trip the small breaker.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 05:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
If you have external 12v aux fans make sure they both are turning and are not seized. Both of mine were and caused the same symptoms as what you’re seeing. The resistance from the seized fans would trip the small breaker.
Both fans are turning, but I had that problem after taking my Sportsmobile on its first muddy road. Since then I've put a cover over the fans. The cover comes off before running the A/C.
KenInRockwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 04:42 AM   #5

One of the most common reasons why an air conditioner works for few minutes and then shuts down is the lack of freon. If you are running your air conditioner with the engine running, then check the color of the liquid. If the liquid color is yellow, then you will need to refill the freon, or it will cause major damage to the system. If the liquid is clear, then it means the compressor is not working, which can be caused by bad bearing, loose pulley, damaged fan, fan clutch or bad fan motor.
Jonathan Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 09:39 AM   #6
Site Team

Garage
Just to clarify do you have the newer Danhard unit or the older Starcool model?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a/c, circuit breakers, danhard