Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2022, 04:02 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post

What section should I start the thread in?? Electronics, camp fire, or maybe drivetrain?
Right, could be several subforums, but I like drivetrain or electrical/electronics.

Maybe we need a new subforum for EVs.

Old 12-08-2022, 10:24 AM   #12

Definitely interested. I've been pondering an EV conversion to a 92-08 E-series into a moderate range daily driver.

My thought would be to pull the body off the frame and then completely re-build/re-work the frame to be more EV specific. An perimeter type frame tends to be easier for battery fitment than a ladder frame. And helps to protect the battery bank from side-impacts.

Another option would be to buy a Mach E and do a body-swap, although when I saw one of those yesterday in a parking lot, I was surprised at how small it is. I'm not sure how easy it would be to adjust the Mach E "roller skate" wheelbase.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 12:48 PM   #13

I don't think I ever watched the build to completion, and I do remember safety coming second or third in a lot of ways, but this guy was working on converting his VW bus to electric with some help from EV West not too long ago:
Motorwerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 12:58 PM   #14

Interesting, but seems counterintuitive to the camping mission. Need good range into areas with no service (let alone high voltage electricity). Seems like the last place for an EV.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 06:30 PM   #15

Garage
^^^ I agree for the immediate future, but eventually the technology will improve and it will be a decent option. More efficient solar and more efficient batteries. Time will tell. I like the idea personally. I feel like a big ole hypocrite driving my loudass 7.3 in the woods seeking peace and quite...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanF View Post
My thought would be to pull the body off the frame and then completely re-build/re-work the frame to be more EV specific. An perimeter type frame tends to be easier for battery fitment than a ladder frame. And helps to protect the battery bank from side-impacts.
^^^ exactly how we did our 64 galax-e.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorwerx View Post
I don't think I ever watched the build to completion, and I do remember safety coming second or third in a lot of ways, but this guy was working on converting his VW bus to electric with some help from EV West not too long ago:
Too cool, I’ll watch that when I have a chance. I’d pee myself if any air cooled old school bus like that handed me my ass up a grade or from a stoplight, lol.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 11:38 AM   #16

Count me in too. Would be interested to follow this. I think a lot of us here are always interested in van anything even if it's not always camping specific.
Old 12-11-2022, 07:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
Interesting, but seems counterintuitive to the camping mission. Need good range into areas with no service (let alone high voltage electricity). Seems like the last place for an EV.
I totally agree, I just want to see it done. EV conversions are neat and lots of E-series vans are used for local delivery/service work which IMO is the only place EV makes sense.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 10:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorwerx View Post
This guy is pretty flaky, with minimal knowledge and skills. He takes almost no safety precautions, welding without a shirt, etc. and continually screws things up.

He has a current video about traveling cross-country in his bus but broke down the first day out (I didn't watch it).

There are other videos by people with better skills on a number of types of vehicles. Some are based on kits, but I haven't seen any econoline or other van conversions. Here's the first of a series by a guy converting a Hummer:

My concern for a SM or home conversion van is re-charging. It makes all the sense in the world for a delivery van but what do you do in the boonies?
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 03:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post

My concern for a SM or home conversion van is re-charging. It makes all the sense in the world for a delivery van but what do you do in the boonies?
In theory - big solar array set up at camp; assuming one will be camped for a few days without moving.

Realistically - more of a local trip van and not for trips into the boonies (which is how I would use one).
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote