Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2015, 05:29 PM   #31
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogone View Post
Why does the header read sportmobile forumS... emphasis on the S is mine... every other reference is to forum... sans S?

I like the overall look, and props for puttin' Jage's van on the header!

Good point. Fixed.

Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:32 PM   #32
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
My album is missing too.

Please find all my pics that invested a lot of time uploading to this formerly ad-free and pure community. It's a shame it changed.

We're working on this - please be patient.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:37 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
'Adblock' is your friend.
+1

Also works on iOS if you don't use Tapatalk.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:56 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
We're working on this - please be patient.
No problem Janet. I'm looking through my bigger threads and looks like my pics are there, but my album is missing.

My angst over the platform change is not aimed at you personally.

86Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:02 PM   #35
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
No problem Janet. I'm looking through my bigger threads and looks like my pics are there, but my album is missing.

My angst over the platform change is not aimed at you personally.

Yes, I know. Change is umm.. unsettling. The software change was a necessity - it was getting ancient and unsecure. The old site is backed up and we will re-import the images just takes some time to do...
Old 12-08-2015, 06:30 PM   #36
Site Team

Just and FYI regarding the ads. As previously mentioned when the ownership change took place we plan to provide users who helped support the site in the past (coins) the ability to turn off the Google ads. We are also going to review accounts of members to try and find a way to give members who didn't have any coins a free 5 year upgrade if they have been recently active (past year) and posted X times or more. I suspect most active "regulars" will get a free account upgrade and those missed the marked (too few posts in the past year) can easily upgrade for an inexpensive amount (under $20 for a year). Soon we will get some stickers made with Sportsmobile Forum and when a member pays for an upgrade they can turn off ads and get the stickers by mail.

I understand that ads are not the greatest but they help forum communities become self sustaining. We do things right with regular backups, we test the backups regularly, use high powered servers, content delivery networks, provide native apps (coming soon), etc. All those things cost money and the ads provide these services without asking you all to step forward to pay for them. A business that is loosing money will ultimately get neglected but one that can sustain itself can keep reinvesting to make it better and ensure it will still be in business decades later. This is a special community and we don't want to change the vibe or ambiance but we do want to ensure that it remains online and free to use for decades ahead.

Ad Blockers work too. In the end we want this to be a symbiotic relationship for everyone where we can all provide value to each other and help foster this awesome community.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:39 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
I use an ad supported business model to keep the forums running. I know some people have donated to keep these free resources online so we'll setup an option for them to access the sites without the ads. I understand this is a change from the past but it's hard to sustain a site on donations only.

Andy
Still planning to do this?
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:02 PM   #38

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
Soon we will get some stickers made with Sportsmobile Forum and when a member pays for an upgrade they can turn off ads and get the stickers by mail.
Hmmm. Please elaborate.
firedude67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:35 PM   #39
Site Team

So far I don't like the changes. I particularly don't like the ad videos at the end of a person's post. In the past videos inside someone's post had to do with the post. So when I see the video ad I think it is related to the post. I can't stand clicking on something I think is going to be interesting and then find out it is an advertisement. The thing I liked most about the old Forum was it was ad-free. The ads are a significant dis-incentive for me to get on this Forum every day like I have in the past.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:13 PM   #40
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmcintire View Post
So far I don't like the changes. I particularly don't like the ad videos at the end of a person's post. In the past videos inside someone's post had to do with the post. So when I see the video ad I think it is related to the post. I can't stand clicking on something I think is going to be interesting and then find out it is an advertisement. The thing I liked most about the old Forum was it was ad-free. The ads are a significant dis-incentive for me to get on this Forum every day like I have in the past.
Hopefully we'll have a way around that if you're a active member. I'm still seeing a slower "choppy" movement when I try to scroll when moving from topic to topic. It seems like nothing wants to move until the ads load. I did add a new bookmark and that did help with the loading, but the site overall seems slower. Guess I was used to click-boom and now it seems to be click-------------boom. Maybe it's my browser. I played with loading and it varies from 4 seconds to 9 seconds in the general section alone. Seems the only thing that changes besides the time are the ads. {edit} just checking the edit function [edit-2] working fine

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote