Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2016, 01:04 PM   #1
Gone Traveling

Question One Question

Does the 2015 Ford Transit Connect qualify as a Sportmobile?.. if not would there be room for us little guys off in the corner somewhere?.. microCargo Expedition vehicles?

LostInTransit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:35 PM   #2

Garage
the term sportsmobile is a brand. if they dont offer anything for the transit, then i would have to say no.

that said, this forum is called a smb forum, but it caters to everything campervan (and other cool camping rigs) related and welcomes those of us without the brand name with open arms. in my eyes, you are welcome here with whatever you plan to get away from the general public in as long as it sees some actual camping
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:40 PM   #3
Gone Traveling

hah so I would assume, sleeping in the back of our van would qualify as camping?.. and we tend to do this at camp grounds.. except for a couple of times while in the neighbors back yard in West Virginia near the new river. The idea is that we do have camping gear in the cargo area of the van.. and it's ways there if and when the desire hit's us. So I'm having a feeling that this could be the wrong forum for what we're looking at doing.. Not vandwellers either.. Just oddballs I guess..
Old 02-25-2016, 02:45 PM   #4

There are a few oddballs here... you'll fit right in.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:22 PM   #5

The tagline for the forum reads:

The premier site for Van and SMB enthusiasts.

That came from Jage - the demigod who started this forum!

And, since at least 2 (probably 4) of the admins don't even own Sportsmobiles, anybody who has an interest in vans or Sportsmobiles is welcome.

Welcome aboard!

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
the term sportsmobile is a brand. if they dont offer anything for the transit, then i would have to say no.

that said, this forum is called a smb forum, but it caters to everything campervan (and other cool camping rigs) related and welcomes those of us without the brand name with open arms. in my eyes, you are welcome here with whatever you plan to get away from the general public in as long as it sees some actual camping
^^^Word^^^

Camping is a very general term. And Sportsmobile owners don't necessarily camp in theirs. Many are work vehicles and offices. Many are special needs transportation. Many are just fancy tow rigs. If you've slept in your van in campgrounds then you're camping. In fact, apparently in our culture if you park anything in a Walmart parking lot and sleep in it then you are camping too.

Oh, and I really dig the subtle toaster avatar.

Welcome!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:28 PM   #7
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Oh, and I really dig the subtle toaster avatar.
Aww Now you've done it.. I have reach deep in to those hidden zones and extricate that toaster story..

The story goes.. just 2 days after buying the 2015 Ford Transit Connect, (we put 14K down and we're now left with a mere 4K worth of finance charges) it was one Sunday morning and my wife asked that I make some toast for breakfast.. I reached into the closest, grabbed the ole toaster and placed it on the counter top.. we both stopped and looked at the toaster.. Yep you guessed it.. The van looks like our ole white T-FAL toaster or vice versa.. Since then the name stuck and have the decal on the rear window to prove it.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:05 AM   #8
Gone Traveling

Allrighty then.. I've created a group yesterday "Micro Expedition Vehicles" and will start posting there, for the time being and at least until the forum decides to create a topic area for the smaller vans. Surprising or I'm just not seeing it, am I the only group in that section?. Just wondered why no one has used the group posting option yet.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:42 AM   #9

Well, that's probably because of the name 'Sportsmobile Forum'. As stated above, we aren't generally a picky bunch but about 95% of folks here are Sportsmobile owners, with the rest just being fans or home builders. Most of them are building out full sized vans like Sportsmobiles, and more and more are getting into the newer Sprinter/Promaster/Nissan/etc. offerings. There is a lot of activity with smaller vans in the '2 and 4 wheel drive camper van' section on the Expedition Portal. I recommend you check it out if you haven't, but as stated above you are welcome here. You may be the first but micro-campers out of the newer, smaller vans like yours are definitely getting more popular so you won't be alone for long.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:29 AM   #10
Gone Traveling

@86Scotty.. Actually that is the reason I'm here, the EXPO mentioning.. I've attempt to post there several times only to have my post removed or be warned that what I'm posting is or has vendor type overtones. I'm not a vendor and maybe I'm not coming across as I should when posting topics. Oh well, I will see how this goes and hang here for a bit just to see if the microvan following increases. I think at other TC communities, allot of members simply do not know what direction to take the TC.. At first I wanted a overlander.. but couldn't find the right wheels or those willing to help me locate them.. then I approached the stance community.. these guys lower their vans/vehicles.. I've since come full circle (back to the overlander concept) But I've already made one mistake.. purchasing the wrong size tires and it's too late to change that. I'm hoping the storage idea will get the overland build back on track.