Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2022, 10:45 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutefreedom View Post
I actually have a Fresair and was going to install it but I came across the Cruise and Comfort AC.
I initially chose the Fresair since it was only 5 inches high and it could fit under my roof rack but the Cruise and Comfort will actually go inside the van and not on top which I really like, but pricey $4500.
The Fresair was about $1500.
I’m planning to post the Fresair for sale for $1200 just in case anyone here is interested, message me.
I too am intrigued by the Cruise'n Comfort AC. I saw a photo on their website with it mounted under a large expedition truck. It seems way more bomber of a unit than anything that goes on the roof etc...Can you update this thread when you install yours and let us know how it went and how it works. Thanks.

clicker44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 10:55 AM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlParr View Post
Hey Chris,
That is why it works for us, cooling the bed area at nighttime. Not usually in the vehicle during the day unless we are driving anyway.
When "off grid" we charge it using AC through the inverter/solar/house batteries. Charging it while driving seems to work fine. I bought their adapter so you can run the unit and charge the batteries at the same time, although there is no need to run it while driving, it is useful when on shore power.
It is 24 volts, but the AC adapter takes care of converting it. I did see some "hard wire" options that convert your 12v to 24v, but, for us, it is not necessary at this time.
Overall, we are satisfied with its ability to keep the van cool enough to sleep comfortably off grid overnight. In our van, it is mounted out of the way, requiring minimal setup, so we keep it with us for those trips when the temperature could get uncomfortable.
Thanks much.
Old 06-12-2022, 10:19 AM   #23

AC

I have been eyeing the Zero Breeze Mark 2.
texasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 10:48 AM   #24

6000btu’s, $149.00, half a day to install. The only downside is it needs shore power or a 2000w generator, but it works great although I wish it was a bit more powerful. Due to size constraints it was the biggest unit I could fit. I can get a 15deg delta in about 40 minutes, going from 90deg’s inside to 75degs. Placing reflectix in the windows really helps when in the sun, mostly the windshield.
Attached Thumbnails
5BB784C9-6F6A-490C-87E6-11C093EB929A.jpg  
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 03:07 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
6000btu’s, $149.00, half a day to install. The only downside is it needs shore power or a 2000w generator, but it works great although I wish it was a bit more powerful. Due to size constraints it was the biggest unit I could fit. I can get a 15deg delta in about 40 minutes, going from 90deg’s inside to 75degs. Placing reflectix in the windows really helps when in the sun, mostly the windshield.
It looks like you worked at reducing the stick out and have the Center of Gravity of the cooler well inside of the van.

There are new U shaped window air conditioners that are more efficient and probably approaching the efficiency of a mini-split because of the inherent separation of the condenser and cooling unit.

If you are worried about stick out these are going to be a little worse, but given how far yours is in, the U shape might be another option. The "U"'s come in two variants, where the backbone is at the bottom or alternatively at the top. The top backbone might be the better option for a van application. For example, with the Top backbone you could potentially have the glass cut to retain some of your visibility because the AC would mostly hang below the bottom of the window.

https://www.perigold.com/GE-Profile%...RoCi6wQAvD_BwE

I'm also wondering if a 200 amp-Hr lithium system, would not be enough to run A/C for 5-6 hours on a 5K BTU unit.

They are now building at least one rooftop air system that includes lithium batteries as in some locals it is illegal to set and idle a big Semi just for a cab air.
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 10:51 PM   #26

I've been eyeballing this guy from Dometic: https://www.dometic.com/en-us/profes...tx-1000-262672

Just wish you could mount it horizontally for a rear window install. Don't think the compressor would like being rotated 90 degrees however.

Unless I missed an option, the split systems are all quite a bit larger capacity.

'05 Pleasure Way Excel TS V10, still boring and 2wd
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 07:05 AM   #27

There are more 12 volt roof mounted options coming on the market. Many for the aforementioned trucker market. If you have a good battery bank set up, you can probably run one for quite awhile. In general, a roof unit will be the most efficient.

I've been eyeing the Zero Breeze Mk 2 unit as well. I like that it's a dual-hose system, so it's just cooling the air in the van vs. pulling air from outside and then cooling it, which should make it considerably more efficient and effective for its size. My WAG is it would be best used if you can curtain off the sleeping area and thus reduce the volume of cooling needed.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 12:28 PM   #28

My Two Satang (google satang lol)

I have a 19 foot Class C with built in Gen and roof air
press a button and i get cold air

Was camping a while back- 100 degrees
Cranked up the AC, and took a while to get rig cold
Comfortable until me or kid went outside a few times

Installed a second Max Air
now can draw out air from both or one in and one out

Camped a bit a ago, same heat 100 degrees
Mr Max Air kept the rig comfortable without the noise AND fuel