Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2022, 02:38 PM   #1

Portable A/C units for van

Hi, Anyone know if there are any portable A/C's that work well in a van? Appreciate hearing any info or recommendations. My concerns are how big they are and what sort of venting is possible depending on window style. I’m thinking a modified window connection would be necessary. Wondering if anyone has seen or used a ‘chillwell’ a/c. Thanks

dogsandcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 05:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Really depends on what you want. Some people like water coolers but there is no way I'd want one. I need something that kills the humidity as well as lower the temps. A few here have tried small 110AC window units while running a 2000w generator. Others have tried to use those roll around portables. I had looked into those for a cargo trailer project I just built but you have to exhaust the hot air. Roof type RV models require a bit more than what a 2000w generator can handle. In my research I've found a few true compressor driven portables that can run off a battery pack. One is called an Eco Wave Portable but I don't know about how or if it requires venting the hot air and/or water if it accumulates it. Some are designed for tents such as the eenour qn750 portable and another is Zero Breeze. Not sure how well they would work in a van. Good luck on your quest.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 06:02 PM   #3

portable ac's

Thanks for your info.
Old 06-06-2022, 06:15 PM   #4
Orv

Garage
If you get a portable A/C, try to find one with a two-hose setup -- a separate air intake and exhaust for the condenser. Single-hose portables take air to cool the condenser from inside the van and exhaust it outside, which means you're constantly pulling in outside air.

I'm putting together a cheap bucket-style portable evaporative water cooler (aka "swamp cooler") to try out on my next trip, but I frequently camp in desert areas with humidity in the low teens or even single digits. I don't have a generator and camp in places without electrical hookups, so this is pretty much the only form of cooling with a low enough power draw to be practical for me; the one I'm building will draw around 20 watts, which is reasonable to support with batteries. However, evaporative coolers have some important constraints; they're one-pass (you don't recirculate the air, you need to keep pulling in fresh from outside), they require quite a bit of water, and they only work when the humidity is very low.
Old 06-07-2022, 11:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orv View Post
If you get a portable A/C, try to find one with a two-hose setup -- a separate air intake and exhaust for the condenser. Single-hose portables take air to cool the condenser from inside the van and exhaust it outside, which means you're constantly pulling in outside air.

I'm putting together a cheap bucket-style portable evaporative water cooler (aka "swamp cooler") to try out on my next trip, but I frequently camp in desert areas with humidity in the low teens or even single digits. I don't have a generator and camp in places without electrical hookups, so this is pretty much the only form of cooling with a low enough power draw to be practical for me; the one I'm building will draw around 20 watts, which is reasonable to support with batteries. However, evaporative coolers have some important constraints; they're one-pass (you don't recirculate the air, you need to keep pulling in fresh from outside), they require quite a bit of water, and they only work when the humidity is very low.
Good info thanks
Old 06-07-2022, 11:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
Really depends on what you want. Some people like water coolers but there is no way I'd want one. I need something that kills the humidity as well as lower the temps. A few here have tried small 110AC window units while running a 2000w generator. Others have tried to use those roll around portables. I had looked into those for a cargo trailer project I just built but you have to exhaust the hot air. Roof type RV models require a bit more than what a 2000w generator can handle. In my research I've found a few true compressor driven portables that can run off a battery pack. One is called an Eco Wave Portable but I don't know about how or if it requires venting the hot air and/or water if it accumulates it. Some are designed for tents such as the eenour qn750 portable and another is Zero Breeze. Not sure how well they would work in a van. Good luck on your quest.
Thanks, checked out your recommendations. Wondering how to vent with various window configurations because the seal has to be complete.
Old 06-07-2022, 01:44 PM   #7

[QUOTE=dogsandcats;311729]Thanks, checked out your recommendations. Wondering how to vent with various window configurations because the seal has to be complete.[/QUOTE

I made my filler with 1 1/2” pink foam board
3/4” plywood deck on door with an adjustable paint pole for the leg to the ground
Black van and it will freeze you out
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 02:02 PM   #8

There is a new player in this market. It's called a Fresair and is supposedly a 'better' swamp cooler type roof air. Check it out, no affiliation btw:

https://fresair.com/
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 02:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
There is a new player in this market. It's called a Fresair and is supposedly a 'better' swamp cooler type roof air. Check it out, no affiliation btw:

https://fresair.com/

I actually have a Fresair and was going to install it but I came across the Cruise and Comfort AC.
I initially chose the Fresair since it was only 5 inches high and it could fit under my roof rack but the Cruise and Comfort will actually go inside the van and not on top which I really like, but pricey $4500.
The Fresair was about $1500.
I’m planning to post the Fresair for sale for $1200 just in case anyone here is interested, message me.
Old 06-07-2022, 02:33 PM   #10

Thanks for the update.