Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-06-2022, 02:38 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 21
Portable A/C units for van

Hi, Anyone know if there are any portable A/C's that work well in a van? Appreciate hearing any info or recommendations. My concerns are how big they are and what sort of venting is possible depending on window style. I’m thinking a modified window connection would be necessary. Wondering if anyone has seen or used a ‘chillwell’ a/c. Thanks
__________________

dogsandcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 05:27 PM   #2
Site Team
 
daveb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Turlock Ca
Posts: 10,300
Garage
Really depends on what you want. Some people like water coolers but there is no way I'd want one. I need something that kills the humidity as well as lower the temps. A few here have tried small 110AC window units while running a 2000w generator. Others have tried to use those roll around portables. I had looked into those for a cargo trailer project I just built but you have to exhaust the hot air. Roof type RV models require a bit more than what a 2000w generator can handle. In my research I've found a few true compressor driven portables that can run off a battery pack. One is called an Eco Wave Portable but I don't know about how or if it requires venting the hot air and/or water if it accumulates it. Some are designed for tents such as the eenour qn750 portable and another is Zero Breeze. Not sure how well they would work in a van. Good luck on your quest.
__________________

__________________
2006 Ford 6.0PSD EB-50/E-PH SMB 4X4 Rock Crawler Trailer

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 06:02 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 21
portable ac's

Thanks for your info.
dogsandcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 06:15 PM   #4
Orv
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 539
Garage
If you get a portable A/C, try to find one with a two-hose setup -- a separate air intake and exhaust for the condenser. Single-hose portables take air to cool the condenser from inside the van and exhaust it outside, which means you're constantly pulling in outside air.


I'm putting together a cheap bucket-style portable evaporative water cooler (aka "swamp cooler") to try out on my next trip, but I frequently camp in desert areas with humidity in the low teens or even single digits. I don't have a generator and camp in places without electrical hookups, so this is pretty much the only form of cooling with a low enough power draw to be practical for me; the one I'm building will draw around 20 watts, which is reasonable to support with batteries. However, evaporative coolers have some important constraints; they're one-pass (you don't recirculate the air, you need to keep pulling in fresh from outside), they require quite a bit of water, and they only work when the humidity is very low.
__________________
N8SRE
1990 E-250 Sportsmobile w/ penthouse top, converted when new by SMB Texas.
Orv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 11:16 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orv View Post
If you get a portable A/C, try to find one with a two-hose setup -- a separate air intake and exhaust for the condenser. Single-hose portables take air to cool the condenser from inside the van and exhaust it outside, which means you're constantly pulling in outside air.


I'm putting together a cheap bucket-style portable evaporative water cooler (aka "swamp cooler") to try out on my next trip, but I frequently camp in desert areas with humidity in the low teens or even single digits. I don't have a generator and camp in places without electrical hookups, so this is pretty much the only form of cooling with a low enough power draw to be practical for me; the one I'm building will draw around 20 watts, which is reasonable to support with batteries. However, evaporative coolers have some important constraints; they're one-pass (you don't recirculate the air, you need to keep pulling in fresh from outside), they require quite a bit of water, and they only work when the humidity is very low.
Good info thanks
dogsandcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 11:22 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
Really depends on what you want. Some people like water coolers but there is no way I'd want one. I need something that kills the humidity as well as lower the temps. A few here have tried small 110AC window units while running a 2000w generator. Others have tried to use those roll around portables. I had looked into those for a cargo trailer project I just built but you have to exhaust the hot air. Roof type RV models require a bit more than what a 2000w generator can handle. In my research I've found a few true compressor driven portables that can run off a battery pack. One is called an Eco Wave Portable but I don't know about how or if it requires venting the hot air and/or water if it accumulates it. Some are designed for tents such as the eenour qn750 portable and another is Zero Breeze. Not sure how well they would work in a van. Good luck on your quest.
Thanks, checked out your recommendations. Wondering how to vent with various window configurations because the seal has to be complete.
dogsandcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 01:44 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Kitty Hawk
Posts: 372
[QUOTE=dogsandcats;311729]Thanks, checked out your recommendations. Wondering how to vent with various window configurations because the seal has to be complete.[/QUOTE

I made my filler with 1 1/2 pink foam board
3/4 plywood deck on door with an adjustable paint pole for the leg to the ground
Black van and it will freeze you out
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 02:02 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
86Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: TN
Posts: 9,538
There is a new player in this market. It's called a Fresair and is supposedly a 'better' swamp cooler type roof air. Check it out, no affiliation btw:

https://fresair.com/
__________________
-Eric

2022 Transit T350 AWD cargo on order
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 02:26 PM   #9
Member
 
absolutefreedom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
There is a new player in this market. It's called a Fresair and is supposedly a 'better' swamp cooler type roof air. Check it out, no affiliation btw:

https://fresair.com/

I actually have a Fresair and was going to install it but I came across the Cruise and Comfort AC.
I initially chose the Fresair since it was only 5 inches high and it could fit under my roof rack but the Cruise and Comfort will actually go inside the van and not on top which I really like, but pricey $4500.
The Fresair was about $1500.
Im planning to post the Fresair for sale for $1200 just in case anyone here is interested, message me.
__________________
Romeo
absolutefreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 02:33 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 21
Thanks for the update.
__________________

dogsandcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sportsmobile SIP or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×