Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2019, 10:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by whith View Post
i like all these. I don’t like getting a you been thanked email that tells me i have a pm that i was thanked that i have to click on to remove the notification showing me that i have a pm that i was thanked. I don’t like that.....
^^^^this^^^^

Old 01-14-2019, 10:48 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
I hate 'likes'.. The stupidest and most juvenile part of our culture.

I don't believe anyone will like this or like me!

^^^ I liked it and ill say thanks.

back before fb people would just type out how much they liked something. id rather people took a couple of seconds out of their day to really say something rather than a button that generically likes something. but unfortunately, we are getting lazier and lazier so like buttons now have their place. this is one reason forums are getting less entertaining for me. people would rather hit a thanks or a like button that take the time to communicate their actual feelings about something.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:33 PM   #13

Garage
I dislike "like" buttons.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:00 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
back before fb people would just type out how much they liked something. id rather people took a couple of seconds out of their day to really say something rather than a button that generically likes something. but unfortunately, we are getting lazier and lazier so like buttons now have their place. this is one reason forums are getting less entertaining for me. people would rather hit a thanks or a like button that take the time to communicate their actual feelings about something.
Totally agree! Conversations are slowly becoming void of Personality with the introduction of Text messaging and options such as the "like" button...at least Emojis can (to a degree) clarify the intended "tempo" of the delivery - IMO still no substitute for the inflection in a persons voice & body language
Old 01-14-2019, 02:06 PM   #15

My favorite is now when i get a reply from an iPhone user it says that "bill laughed". Or whoever. Like, what?!? There is a button for telling someone you laughed?
KyleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:32 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahamby View Post
I dislike "like" buttons.
If we had a Like button, I would Like this post of yours.

Sarcasm aside, I agree. I don't have an issue if we have the Thanks option and/or a Like option, but I would rarely, rarely ever use either. I'm on another forum that uses a "Reputation" feature if someone posts a useful How-To article or something, but while I might somewhat prefer that, I don't sleep better at night knowing someone gave me Rep points or Liked something I posted.

I'm not against any of these options, and if they are available, I just won't use them.

Herb
Old 01-14-2019, 03:01 PM   #17

Garage
^^^ I use the thank button at least a few times a week. especially if what I wanna say is something that's already been typed out 15 times prior (im usually late to the parties). I do want people to know that I appreciate whatever effort they took to post about. especially if its something that pertains specifically to me that I had been on the lookout for.

Im not saying I wouldn't use a like button either, but I would much rather hear someone's thoughts about something (positive or negative) rather than an easy button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
... IMO still no substitute for the inflection in a persons voice & body language

^^^ I completely agree. took me years to start texting for the same reasons. still hate it, but you have to conform in some ways to keep up with the jones's.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:20 PM   #18
GAR

Thumbs down

“Like” buttons...

Is it not bad enough that we “post up” on a forum rather than “meet up” regularly to discuss ideas & solutions? Now we need a “Like” button??

Drop and press-out 25 Burpees! ...Now see how much you liked that!

I’m of the persuasion that leaving a little note is best. I don’t need a pat on the back everytime I post something. I left FaceBook years ago because of all the millennial snowflakes that took offense to everything, even if it didn’t apply to them.

Gar
GAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:44 PM   #19

How did “liking” something become equated with being a “snowflake”? Ugh. Ok, so don’t call it a “like.” Call it a “thank” button that doesn’t require the big process of the current “thank” procedure.

In many help-based forums, a like button allows members to vote up better answers over others. It can be a useful tool.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:48 PM   #20

Here’s the problem, sometimes one just simply wants to say “thanks”. Maybe it doesn’t have to be a “like”. I don’t do any social media of any sort, but I often simply “thank” people in real life in the world without including a dissertation along with it. We can’t do that here.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote