Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2022, 11:35 PM   #11

Garage
I guess the theory that there was another toilet originally is as good as any. When we bought the van, from a very brief second owner, we got the owner's manual. This contraption is not mentioned anywhere and isn't on any of the diagrams. The rest of the bathroom, kitchen and holding/fresh water tanks are diagramed as one would expect. Well, thar she blows!

Amy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 11:38 PM   #12

Garage
The whole van is standard SMB 2001 set up except for this. Maybe I'll get around to removing it to free up precious space---for now I need to get the water out of it. Gross.
Old 07-17-2022, 11:42 PM   #13

Garage
there's a y next to the current Thetford---one to the vent and another down below the van to a capped pipe right next to the standard SMB black water exit. Not at all connected to the current toilet, which looks to be original and I thought it was until this.
Old 07-17-2022, 11:43 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gahamby View Post
That last shot is a bilge pump.
can't imagine why that would be necessary when I have the standard SMB bathroom set up. I guess we'll never know!
Old 07-17-2022, 11:47 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marret View Post
Me either. Looks more like a drain pipe rather than a vent. I assume you confirmed the vent and positively traced. What type of battery(ies)? Could be closed if not needed.

Your second post photo looks like a water line.
It does terminate outside the van so I guess this is a black water pump/bilge pump and can't imagine why it was there. You were right and I needed to look more closely under the van. It takes up alot of room and empties right next to my standard SMB bathroom holding tank.
Old 07-18-2022, 03:52 AM   #16

Garage
Strange. Glad you were able to trace it and get some clarity. Sounds like an unused part of a previous system as you said and the drain included a vent.

If the top and bottom/exit are capped, should be able to remove.

The vent could be re-purposed especially if you wanted to do a composting toilet.

At least with my van, the SMB documentation is really generic not specific to my build except for component manuals.
Old 07-18-2022, 07:39 AM   #17

Are you saying you no longer have a black water tank style toilet? Can you tell witch way the hand pump moves water. From gray to black? It might have been added to aid in cleaning out the tanks. I can see moving water from gray to black, but obviously going from black to gray would not make a lot of sense.

The three online manuals (1998,2004, and 2008) that are linked to in this forum all have a section on the gray and black water tanks. In a quick glance I did not see anything about the questioned bilge pump.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote