Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2018, 08:22 AM   #1

2000 E350 5.4 2wd Build Log

Found this E350 from a family that has owned it the last 18years.... Had 10 foster kids and was the family vehicle. The PO was also the manager of an auto service shop and had good record of all maintenance done throughout the years. Perfect candidate for what I want to do with it. I've had it 2wks now and have been driving it every afternoon and it is mechanically really sound. Body wise - only 1 little ding on the front fender.

It is 2wd with the 5.4 V8, rear ac, power windows/mirrors/locks. It had some running boards which I took off. I also removed the rear seats/carpet.

Since I got it, I have put on some Atturo Trail Blade AT 265/75/16 tires on black steel wheels. I have a 2" leveling kit on the way and some bilsteins for the front. Hoping to have the leveling kit on next week. Also started tinting the windows but have a few left to finish.

Future plans are to eventually get some Sienna non reclining buckets for the front & a sienna bench for the 2nd row. Would like to add a bed in the rear and have a portable ac unit inside. Will post pics as all that extra stuff comes along.

Here are some pics of it the day I got it.

SWLAmarshrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:27 AM   #2

Pics with new wheels/tires

Pics with the new wheels/tires and a fresh wash. On the passenger side, some white interior latex paint spilled on the carpet and dripped onto the bottom panel of the van. It peels off fairly easily but just haven't cleaned it up all the way. I also noticed a white wire running from front to rear on drivers side. Not sure what that was for but planning to get that tucked away or cut off soon too. With the tires, the rake on the front is pretty noticeable. Hopefully the 2" leveling kit will clean that look up. I got the pucks for the front with the bilsteins because it rides really good as it is and I didn't want to stiffen the ride by going to the moog springs.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:01 AM   #3

Welcome and congrats on the new to you rig. Looks really nice with the new wheels and tires. I also have an EB passenger 5.4. It's a solid platform. My build is constantly evolving and I'm already planning v2. Good luck with yours.
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:24 AM   #4

Nice van. I'm not sure if you plan to pull or replace that carpet but my first E350 came from a big family too and when I pulled the trim and the carpet I found out why it had an unusual smell inside. It wasn't smoke and it wasn't pets. Dried puke 2-3 places. I would toss it.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:39 AM   #5

lol well if I hadn't already tossed it I definitely would after reading that haha. Yeah already scrapped it. I got some insulation sheets that stick on and plan to do the floor, walls and roof. Then will go back with something like laminate over some plywood on the floor
Old 07-26-2018, 05:55 AM   #6

Subscribed! I too just picked up a 2wd e350. Thinking of some very similar upgrades. Are you going to do the swivel seats too? I have a cargo and want to pick up captains chairs for the second row and swivel the front and rear seats with a table in between them...
rnm115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:17 AM   #7

Swivel fronts are awesome. I have them for driver and passenger. It gave me more floor plan options. I have a set of Siennas in the second row, but fixed not swiveled. When I turn the front seats around it creates a nice space for conversation, drinks/meals, etc. for 4 people. One of the best and easiest mods I've done.
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:04 PM   #8

I'm thinking if I do the swivel, it will only be for the passenger but I may change my mind on that. Wanting the sienna bench for the 2nd row with the sienna track so I can slide it forward/rearward
Old 07-30-2018, 01:08 PM   #9

First trip

Made my first little trip with it 400 miles roundtrip pulling a 6x12 enclosed trailer loaded to go race some jetskis. No issues at all and averaged 11mpg. Had cruise set at 65 most the time. I'll note that it didn't seem to pull it in 4th gear with ease - although my trailer was loaded down it isn't that big of a trailer or weight too much. Not sure if I should look into regearing in the future to make it stay in 4th with my trailer or not. It's not like it was constantly hopping back and forth from 3rd to 4th, just if I bumped up cruise more than 1-2 clicks, it was jumping down to 3rd to accelerate.

Hoping to get the 2" lift on the front this week and I have big roll of grey wrap coming in today to wrap the whole thing with.

Before I took my trip, I managed to get some 10mm thick foam/aluminum sound dampener put down on almost all of the floor. I got some "kilmat" to put on the walls. Will eventually do ceiling also.

38000385_10156581547218256_3380668535066853376_n

38013766_10156581546343256_485984551793852416_n