Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2017, 12:10 PM   #91

That was a game changer. Mocked up the top one last time and taped the gasket onto the edge as well and it looked great! Pulled the top back off, hosed it down, dried it, and sprayed it with raptor liner. Turned out great! we had some issues with the spray gun clogging which made the liner have a coarser finish initially but we got it sorted out in the end.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3011.jpg   IMG_3014.jpg   IMG_3017.jpg  

BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:12 PM   #92

Also as a little side project this weekend I got the wheels sorted out. When I got the van back from Agile I had forgotten to give them the right lug nuts, and I only had two wheel caps. I ordered two more wheel caps for the rear wheels and swapped out all the lug nuts.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3019.jpg   IMG_3018.jpg  
Old 10-16-2017, 12:16 PM   #93

So I am getting closer and closer to the big day when the hole gets cut. Other than the canvas I still need to clean up the side mounting rails and spray those white, extend the U-bars, and attach the gasket to the edge of the top.

Unfortunately I ran out of raptor liner and still have a few spots where I can see a little white so I ordered more to finish that off. I am also going to use that to paint the front bumper and grill.

As far as the canvas goes I should be hearing back this week with an actual price and timeline. Fingers crossed.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:20 PM   #94
Site Team

Great to see the progress on the top!

My fiberglass and Raptor project (my Bronco's hood) is tracking along with yours, just a few weeks behind.

I'm somewhat satisfied with my fiberglass work, and have ordered my Raptor liner. I already have my next Raptor project in mind, the fenders on my teardrop trailer.

Herb
Old 10-16-2017, 12:30 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Great to see the progress on the top!

My fiberglass and Raptor project (my Bronco's hood) is tracking along with yours, just a few weeks behind.

I'm somewhat satisfied with my fiberglass work, and have ordered my Raptor liner. I already have my next Raptor project in mind, the fenders on my teardrop trailer.

Herb
I am not sure the extent of the fiberglass work you are doing, but the fiberglass specific bondo worked really well. I was surprised at how "structural" it felt. I was expecting it to be more of just a space filler. Almost made me feel like I could have gotten away with no matting behind it.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:59 PM   #96

Bring this thing out to the Silverado get together next weekend!
BrianBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:57 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBlair View Post
Bring this thing out to the Silverado get together next weekend!
Unfortunately I can't make it this weekend, hoping I can be at the next one though.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:42 AM   #98
Site Team

Ben, did you have any issues just spraying this outside?

Once again I'm probably over-thinking this and am putting together a PVC pipe spray booth. Looks like you just shot your top with it sitting on the grass. Does it dry fast enough that there's not a huge concern about debris sticking to the wet liner?

Herb
Old 10-18-2017, 10:56 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
Ben, did you have any issues just spraying this outside?

Once again I'm probably over-thinking this and am putting together a PVC pipe spray booth. Looks like you just shot your top with it sitting on the grass. Does it dry fast enough that there's not a huge concern about debris sticking to the wet liner?

Herb
No issues spraying it outside. It was a nice sunny day with virtually no wind which probably helped. I checked it out the next morning and only noticed 2-3 pieces of small debris that I just picked off with my fingernail, and with the textured finish it was impossible to notice.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:50 AM   #100

Got some more stuff done this past weekend on the van. Started off by removing and painting both bumpers and the front grill, and putting the final coat on the poptop. Did everything with raptor liner.

Turned out really good. I have some new headlights coming from vantage optics which is why I didn't paint the stock headlight housings so the front will look even better once those are in.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3046.jpg   IMG_3051.jpg   IMG_3054.jpg   IMG_3055.jpg   IMG_3048.jpg