Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2017, 03:10 PM   #21

Sweet. Or get the $2000 poptop in CO.

Difficult to move windows.

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:28 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Sweet. Or get the $2000 poptop in CO.

I PMed that guy as well, might go with this one purely based on location and being able to drive and pick it up. Also depending how the interior pics look it might be more enticing for the seats and such
BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:16 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Any specific reason why this is the case? Also difficult but doable or difficult and better off buying new windows?
Old 06-19-2017, 04:26 PM   #24

Garage
Passenger van bodies are formed for the windows. The cargo vans aren't. You'd have to weld in the proper recess for them to work. Way too much work when you can buy crl windows that damn near fit directly into the spot the passenger vans would go.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:42 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
Passenger van bodies are formed for the windows. The cargo vans aren't. You'd have to weld in the proper recess for them to work. Way too much work when you can buy crl windows that damn near fit directly into the spot the passenger vans would go.
Ahhhh I see. Thanks for responding!
Old 06-19-2017, 04:51 PM   #26

Although not cheap I also recommend using CRL windows. Installation isn't overly difficult. Just nerve wracking.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:01 PM   #27

Garage
^^^ once you measure 400 times it ain't so bad, haha. Also member 1der can get the crl windows for a good price.

Np man. I really wanted an oem window at first as well.

I have a list of pn's for a few crl windows designed for passenger window locations at work. I can post them up tomorrow if your interested.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:07 PM   #28

Shenrie is right of course, and besides there is nothing good about stock windows which would make it worth your time. Aftermarket windows are made to go in blank sheetmetal and they offer lots of benefits over stock such as screens and that they all open. Stock offer only visibility. Go aftermarket. The work isn't worth it.

If you do decide to try anyway, I think Vivalavida (Username Pschitt, real name Claude) put passenger windows in his cargo van. I've seen pics from a distance and seen the van in person but I didn't look close or ask how he pulled it off.

Oh, and by the way, if you've got a donor SMB why not just do a body swap? YOu get it all then, but it is quite a job. Ujoint can tell you how hard. He separates bodies all the time. He'll probably talk you out of it like he did me.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:14 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
^^^ once you measure 400 times it ain't so bad, haha. Also member 1der can get the crl windows for a good price.

Np man. I really wanted an oem window at first as well.

I have a list of pn's for a few crl windows designed for passenger window locations at work. I can post them up tomorrow if your interested.
That would be great if you could post those, thanks!
Old 06-19-2017, 05:19 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Shenrie is right of course, and besides there is nothing good about stock windows which would make it worth your time. Aftermarket windows are made to go in blank sheetmetal and they offer lots of benefits over stock such as screens and that they all open. Stock offer only visibility. Go aftermarket. The work isn't worth it.

If you do decide to try anyway, I think Vivalavida (Username Pschitt, real name Claude) put passenger windows in his cargo van. I've seen pics from a distance and seen the van in person but I didn't look close or ask how he pulled it off.

Oh, and by the way, if you've got a donor SMB why not just do a body swap? YOu get it all then, but it is quite a job. Ujoint can tell you how hard. He separates bodies all the time. He'll probably talk you out of it like he did me.

I guess if the interior is really nice I could think about a body swap. unfortunately the one pic I posted is all I have, still waiting on those interior pics. Given that it is a '95 I imagine it not being in the best of condition and mostly wanting to strip things out that are still useable and putting in my current body.

The guy did say it was a standard chateau interior passenger van with 4 captain chairs. Also the top has the 3 piece bed as well.

The other appealing part about it is it still runs and is in CA so I can just go pick it up and drive it back with everything attached as opposed to renting a trailer and towing the other guys poptop back from CO.