Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2017, 06:03 PM   #51

It would have been really close to $140 if it wasn't for the 40% sale they were having. We will have to measure my canvas and compare to this top, but It is probably really close.

I feel like I remember someone saying that CCV sewed them a new canvas for their SMB poptop. That could also be an option.

bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:42 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
It would have been really close to $140 if it wasn't for the 40% sale they were having. We will have to measure my canvas and compare to this top, but It is probably really close.

I feel like I remember someone saying that CCV sewed them a new canvas for their SMB poptop. That could also be an option.
Totally forgot about the 40% sale. That was huge. I shot an email to the Indiana sportsmobile people asking about the canvas after the sportsmobile west group told me they don't do that.
BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:28 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Without a doubt. I got my first one for $140 cause that's what they charged for a pickup camper shell and they figured it was worth the same. I didn't argue. But that's double!

As for new canvas, I'm sure SMB doesn't have new canvas for a 78 top, assuming it's different. But I'd call them. And when that goes nowhere, find a commercial sewer or convertible top repair place and show them the top.
Yeah I just heard back from sportsmobile in Indiana and the tops changed in 1992 so any canvas they can make won't match anything before that. They basically told me they can't help me with the project, but I am going to take some measurements when I get home so see exactly how different it is from bemerritt's top. I have a feeling it would fit with just some slight tweaking.

I also reached out to a local boat and auto custom canvas shop to see what they can do.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:44 PM   #54

Garage
^^^ as long as your making it custom, do a triple canvas like ccv does. especially if you plan to winter camp. basically a thin layer of foam with a layer of canvas on each side.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:37 PM   #55

Here is the top mocked up on the van in the driveway. Also how we drove it home haha.

Here it is mocked up on another van in the junkyard, yes, we carried it over our heads down the aisle to a 92+ RB to see how it would fit.

the donor

Old 09-12-2017, 10:14 AM   #56

Big week for the van. Dropped it off last night with John from Agile to get a RIP kit and limited slip installed. I also bought SCMatthew's American Racing wheels that he had for sale a little while back and will be running those with BFG KO2s. Might even get it back in time to take it out this weekend!

Will post some pics after its all done.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:16 AM   #57

Picked up the van this morning!! Looks and rides awesome, big thanks to John at Agile. Almost time to start getting into the interior work.

Bemerritt and I are going to try and shape the old fiberglass top this weekend and I am working on a promising lead for a new canvas. The goal is to get all the major structural stuff done before starting the interior so I only have to do it once.

Also, the wife and I have a week long trip planned for the first week of December and she is requesting the solar, fridge, and heater all be in place by the time we go. Time to get to work!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2882[1].jpg   IMG_2884[1].jpg  
Old 09-15-2017, 10:26 AM   #58

nothing has a wife happier than warm toes and cold drinks
Old 09-18-2017, 10:20 AM   #59

Did some work on the top this weekend and had some promising results. We started out by cutting about 1/2" off the both side edges of the fiberglass. We came up with a 1/2" based on how the top looked after we drove it home, didn't want to cut too much off.

We started cutting with a jigsaw which didn't get us very far. Basically melted the teeth off the blade pretty quickly. Switched over to the circular saw which was much better.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2885.jpg   IMG_2886.jpg  
Old 09-18-2017, 10:23 AM   #60

Once we had the initial 1/2" cuts done we put the top on the van and started "shaping" the edges to the roof line. Apparently the 3rd gen roofs were very flat, while the 4th gen roofs angle downward at the front.

We had to switch back to the jigsaw so we switched out the blade and adjusted the speed. Much more successful than the first attempt.

As you can see the measurements we took and our approach overall was pure precision.....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2887.jpg   IMG_2888.jpg