Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2019, 04:57 AM   #11

Got a 99 dodge 3500 smb myself.
Quick question how is the ac connected in the rear window?
Like the rack also. Do you have any problem with raising the roof with the rack?
Thanks and nice rig!

Kmadden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:11 PM   #12

Good to see an A/C install like that. It inspires me to consider a similar arrangement on my '94, perhaps above the window if I can find a suitable unit.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5314.JPG  
Old 07-20-2019, 01:20 PM   #13

It might work. Measurements indicate workable area on that door panel and I've found several physically small 5,000 BTU units that might fit. Plus, the van is already beat so I might not mind punching holes in it in order to test out ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5318.JPG  
Old 07-20-2019, 08:50 PM   #14

I’d be worried hanging the weight of an AC unit on those door extensions, as there is no top latch or hinge (that I can see) to secure the weight to the body.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:12 AM   #15

I realized that after staring at the pic for a while. Through the door lower down below the window would definitely provide more support.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:26 AM   #16
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by campism View Post
Good to see an A/C install like that. It inspires me to consider a similar arrangement on my '94, perhaps above the window if I can find a suitable unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
I’d be worried hanging the weight of an AC unit on those door extensions, as there is no top latch or hinge (that I can see) to secure the weight to the body.
As Brian says you don't want that much hanging unsupported weight on those doors--even if it were supported its still not a good idea.

Extended height doors aren't built all that well in the first place which makes them poor candidates for any sort of modification such as hanging even the smallest of an A/C unit. I have two vans with those doors and they're actually a bit scary how fragile they seem to be, at least above the factory configuration that fits a standard van with stock roof height.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:39 AM   #17

I’ve had a spare tire and mount hanging off those factory hinges for years on numerous Dodge vans and I don’t think a small AC unit would even match the weight.

If I were to try this proposed AC install I would put in a new set of GMC van hinge pins from Dorman which I understand are made with a hole for, or already have installed, a grease zerk fitting. Grease it regularly and enjoy the cool.

Some of the door load will be transmitted across the striker to the opposite door when closed. So the ultimate load only exists on two hinges when the door(s) are opened.
Old 09-19-2022, 02:37 PM   #18

Does anyone have pictures of or have a dodge sportsmobile or 1500 van build with a rear 3rd bucket seat? We have added a little one to the family and are trying to explore options to install a rear bucket/captains seat with factory seat belt vs selling our van to get something that will carry all three of us.
stx4wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote