Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2016, 12:13 PM   #1
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
2005 Ford E-350 V10 buildout featuring CCV/BOR

Here we go. I've been approached by friends and strangers alike to help them find, conceive, spec and oversee van projects in various shapes and forms over the years.
This has led to many discussions and research, both with various up-fitters and through referencing this forum, where some (most) of you have much greater knowledge and experience than myself, and along with it, the fine sense to share it with the rest of us here on the forum.
So, I decided several months ago, foolishly or not, that there may be a market for something like this, as there seems to be a growing number of people that are looking at getting into a SMB type vehicle for their adventures, and a seemingly short, and getting shorter, aging supply available on the market.
So I decided to concentrate this build, and any others, using the Ford E-350, specifically, ones with a gas V10 or diesel 7.3L, but the 7.3L seem to be getting harder to find without them being older, higher milage, and generally beat up or the good ones not being snatched up by Rallypanam or 1der!!
I'm going to be using local up-fitters, in my case, CCV and Boulder Offroad. So, for the first project I found a nice, super clean, city maintained 15 passenger with rear air (seats already removed) EB 350 with a V10 with 80K on the clock. I plan on adding 4X4 with a dana 60, "50" style interior and a CCV insulated mid height top, bumpers/wheels/tires/lights/stereo w/nav and other goodies.
I'm in the process of insulating the walls and installing new front carpet. As of now, I would like to avoid adding a propane system, I'm trying to find the gas version of the Espar heater and figured a portable stove will be the solution for cooking/hot water, being able to be used indoors or out. Well, that's all for now, feel free to comment, looking forward to posting updates as things progress, no going back now, I've gutted the interior, pics coming, much easier to post them from tapatalk......

CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:59 AM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Can't add too much to your plans so far but best of luck with your project---as always we'll be looking forward to photos and progress reports.

On another note please use paragraphs to break up the wall of text---its very difficult to read through.

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:16 AM   #3

Dang Rick, that thing is clean! You gonna keep the D-9 moniker?

2010 Chevy AWD home build
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:57 AM   #4
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
JWA-thanks for the input, I've added some breaks in the text, right or wrong.

D-9 is already removed. I am amazed how clean it is, the underside and engine bay look brand new. It is widely known that if you are looking for a clean used vehicle, city, county or government vehicles are generally very well cared for with routine maintenance done on schedule and they usually rotate out the fleet.
This van was used by a nearby town as a prisoner transport, you can still see shadow of the letters on the paint and it has fill plugs where the emergency lights were mounted on each fender and remnants of a communication/location system. It may have even been also been used as a support vehicle, as the bench seats and rear carpet were already removed.
I am planning on performing a full cleansing with a smudge stick to rid it of any lingering bad juju.....I've already pressure washed, stay tuned........
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:37 AM   #5
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
If that's a bit of surface rust I'm seeing on the topside of your rear area floor I'd use POR-15 products to kill it off forever.

FWIW that rust can/does form due almost exclusively to the OEM mats (front & rear) absorbing moisture into the padding, it never evaporating and staying very wet against the floor sheet metal pretty much forever.

Treating it with POR-15 (silver is my preference due its high solids content) will save a lot of worry and concern the unseen floor is rusting away.

Of course if you live where there's no humidity disregard ^^.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote