Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #21

Re: 2006 Duramax Build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
I noticed when I pulled the tape that it wanted to pull the dip off (that I wanted to be there) as well.
86Scotty,

Did you let the PlastiDip dry before pulling the tape? I seem to recall seeing videos on https://www.dipyourcar.com/ that indicate it is best to pull the tape soon after spraying, before it is completely dry.

Haven't used PlastiDip myself yet, but I am thinking of a few projects. Worth checking out on their website.

Hope this helps.

Brent

Old 04-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyford
Great tip on the cruse control I will be buying the new switch tomorrow.

Ron
I hope it is as easy as a swap for you as it was for me. I've been fortunate with all three of my GM vehicles when it came to adding features such as electric seats, Cruise control, power windows, etc... with the factory harness already being fitted with the options. But I have read that it isn't always that easy and that sometimes the harnesses in the vehicles are not always equipped with the features regardless of what the vehicle came optioned with. But so far in my experience the harness's have always been fully optioned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBrian
Awesome build! Thanks for sharing.
My Pleasure, I've gotten more from reading other people's builds so far than I myself am able to share. Just glad I'm able to contribute something!!
Old 04-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by copescobra
Great build.

may I ask where you found the folding bed concept as I am looking for something similar?

I am in CA and hope you can advise where one can locate it....thanks
I bought it from a interior customizing shop called "Relaxed Customs in Thousand Oaks. Not sure how much of a mark-up I had to pay for it but I paid $795 for it. I don't know if they sell things retail as their business is installation but you might give them a try. If not they could tell you where they got it from I'm sure. I had them do the Rhino linings of my floors so I dud have some business with them.

But those beds are the same that are used and installed in Toy Haulers and Enclosed Trailers. I'm sure they are quite easy to find in that market/industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your build so far! Looks great!

Plasti-dip question. I just recently bought a can and masked off a couple of small parts I wanted to dip. I noticed when I pulled the tape that it wanted to pull the dip off (that I wanted to be there) as well. Did you go along your mask line with a razor blade or did it just peel evenly with the blue tape?
I was using some crappy older regular masking tape, so I'm not sure if that was part of the problem.

Thanks
Like vwteleman mentioned you can either rip it off the tape while it's semi-wet but you'll have to re-tape it once it dries for the subsequent coats that need to be applied. (Labor intensive since you might have to do that 4-5 times if not more)
Or get a plastic razorblade and cut along the line. It doesn't work as well as you'd think as the blade dulls really fast so if you have alot to do like I had you'll run out of blades. You can also try a real razor blade but that's playing with fire because too much pressure will cut into the paint!
I wasn't too concerned with the quality of the lines because I'm just using it as mock up to see how I like certain looks. I actually ripped off the plasti-dip off the hood the other day because I didn't like it. I like it better without the painted cowl. If I did the R/T stripes like I had planned I think it would of looked better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwteleman
86Scotty,

Did you let the PlastiDip dry before pulling the tape? I seem to recall seeing videos on https://www.dipyourcar.com/ that indicate it is best to pull the tape soon after spraying, before it is completely dry.

Haven't used PlastiDip myself yet, but I am thinking of a few projects. Worth checking out on their website.

Hope this helps.

Brent

That method works great if your doing small areas, but if you have to do the whole rockers like I was doing than you will make the job extrememly labor intensive!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #24

2006 Duramax Build thread

Got it. Thanks!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:50 PM   #25

So I finally got a new toy today!!!!

It's a bigger Nutsert Tool. I have a smaller one that I've used when building my Race Truck but needed a bigger one for some of the things I want to do with my Van.
So I decided to try it out with these Bike Cradles that a buddy of mine made for his van but no longer uses.

So I started drilling some holes in my floor with a 1/2 drill

Put two of the Riv-Nuts in the holes

And then Nut-serted that sucker down!!

Reason I'm doing it like this is so that when I'm not hauling my motorcycles around I can unbolt the cradles and there will be no attaching points sticking up out of the floor as a tripping hazard, as well as it's alot easier to install and remove the cradles without having to get under the van with a nut while someone inside the van tighten down on the bolts.

You can see how flush they are in this picture, there are two Riv-nuts up forward by the brown box, you can barely see them but they are there if you look.

You can see them better in this pic

So after all said and done I have two removable cradles...

Old 04-11-2013, 12:16 AM   #26

Just did a Down Pipe swap on my Van, took me all of 40-45 minutes to do which is ridiculous considering how long it takes for Truck guys to do the same swap! Gotta love the dog house!! :jest:

Step 1:

Remove Seat

Step 2:

Remove Glove box

Step 3:

Remove Dog House

Step 4:
Wipe down and Dustbusting!! (A clean Van is a happy Van)

Step 5:

Remove Heat Shield

Step 6:

Remove Down Pipe

Step 7:

Install Down Pipe

Step 8:

Put Dog House, Glove Box and Seat back in
Old 04-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #27

!
webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #28

Garage

great build! love the black accents with the plastidip and black wheels. clear corners really sets it all off too. very clean look. well done!

did you do a larger exhaust at the same time, or is it not needed with the duramax? was there any seat of the pants difference with the dp?

and i know what you mean with the install. took us 3-4 hours and a portapower to make enough room for a 3" dp on a buddies f350. get to looking at mine and looks like it will take all of 5 minutes for a 4" dp on the van, lol. whats easy on the van is hard on the truck and visa versa. i dread the day i need to replace glow plugs or injectors...

any feedback on the tires? ive got a set on the way and there are mixed reviews around these parts on them. i couldnt pass up the price for 5 and dropped tha hammer a few days ago.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbmac
Awesome. That thing is clean! How many miles? What does the downpipe swap do? Lower EGTs? I was not aware of that upgrade, but then again I had an '08 with all of the smog stuff. Keep up the good work, looking great!
Thanks!! I bought it last summer with 103K miles and right now it's up to 122K (I like driving it!!)
Reason I swapped it out is because the stock pipe is restrictive. This is a important modification for people who plan to really push their engines and make alot of HP. I'm not so much looking to push this engine but it will help it breath easier which in addition to a few other mods will net me more MPG's. The new DP has less bends, kinks and hard 90 degree bends and the pipe isn't crushed in certain areas.

Here's a comparo of the two pipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
great build! love the black accents with the plastidip and black wheels. clear corners really sets it all off too. very clean look. well done!

did you do a larger exhaust at the same time, or is it not needed with the duramax? was there any seat of the pants difference with the dp?

and i know what you mean with the install. took us 3-4 hours and a portapower to make enough room for a 3" dp on a buddies f350. get to looking at mine and looks like it will take all of 5 minutes for a 4" dp on the van, lol. whats easy on the van is hard on the truck and visa versa. i dread the day i need to replace glow plugs or injectors...

any feedback on the tires? ive got a set on the way and there are mixed reviews around these parts on them. i couldnt pass up the price for 5 and dropped tha hammer a few days ago.
Thank you, yeah I'm digging the black accents and wheels too. Whenever I get around to re-painting this thing thing it will hopefully tie everything in together really well! But that won't be for a while yet.
And yes, reason I'm doing the DP is because I am re-doing the exhaust next week as well as getting the Van tuned. The Duramax was de-tuned from the factory because of the 4L80E transmission that they mated it to instead of it being fitted with an Allison as in the trucks. Exhaust and tune really wake this thing up and hopefully will net me an additional 3-4 mpg. Right now I'm seeing around 19 so my goal is to be in the 22-23mpg range but to do that I needed a free'er flowing exhaust. But right now with just the DP the only difference is you can hear the turbo whistle a little better which as my screen name suggests...I love!!
I dread the day I have to do injectors, plugs or gaskets as well, when that day comes I plan on simply taking the Van body off the frame. No way do I feel like contorting myself for 3-4 hours! Lol

Tires I really like but I'm not a person who has much experience with different types and kinds. I wanted something that was suited for highway driving and towing and capable to a point in dirt, gravel and sandy conditions. An off-road buddy suggested these and so far I really love them. They are very quite on the highway at speeds, to where I can turn the radio off and barely hear them and only if I specifically listen for them. However being the first time I've ridden with tires this knobby, I was unused to the flex they provide when making long turns at speeds such as on a freeway going about 70. You can feel the knots flex which changes the turning angle of the vehicle. Took me a minute to get used to it but it's good now. But overall impressions are very positive, they ride really well, are not noisy, grip well and so far I've been pleased!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #30

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

This is just my experience,
I just-as in today had to replace my torque converter. I only have 130k on my Van, The reason is because even with my Dura Max being detuned it still has to much power for my transmission 4L85E. Heck they even put the Allison behind the 8.1 gas motor which didn't have any where the torque my Dura Max has stock.

I have thought many times about getting more power however I have never needed it and I have a heavy foot.

I have a stand alone Allison Transmission and at some point I am going to install it, maybe next winter.

I would like to at some point do some exhaust work but man it's quite and runs so good I just haven't done it yet.

Ron