Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2013, 05:42 PM   #41

Re: 2006 Duramax Build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbmac
Should work anytime. Beats the ghetto rig 2x4 I had between the seat (power seats) and the accelerator pedal before I knew that I had the high idle switch. Yes, the turbo does free up and increase boost as the oil warms up...
Just tried it and nothing. Put the Cruise on and engaged it as if I were setting the cruise and nothing happened!! :/
Did you have the parking brake on?

You may have to have a dealer (or independent shop with GM Tech-2 terminal) enable the feature. That's how Fords are. You can connect switches on your own for high-idle, but for using cruise buttons it has to be enabled. Dodge diesels also requires the cruise buttons to be enabled for high-idle.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:40 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Did you have the parking brake on?

You may have to have a dealer (or independent shop with GM Tech-2 terminal) enable the feature. That's how Fords are. You can connect switches on your own for high-idle, but for using cruise buttons it has to be enabled. Dodge diesels also requires the cruise buttons to be enabled for high-idle.
I'm not sure if I did or didn't. I'll try it again both ways next time. If not I can see if I can't get a buddy to enable it with his tech-2.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:11 PM   #43

webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:55 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbmac
Darn, I was hoping it would be a piece of cake. Sorry for leading you astray.
No worries, now I know that the high idle switch could be tune related, I'll see if I can't get it done with my tuner. Would be a nice addition to have on cold cold days!
Old 04-18-2013, 01:03 AM   #45

So here's a few pics from my exhaust swap that I had done yesterday. I had two reasons for doing this...
1) I just got a 100hp tune done so it's putting out a heck of alot more torque and opening up the exhaust and increasing the pressure differential across the turbine blades is always a good thing. And in doing so it also increases my Fuel economy. Last tank before fill up was 18.5 mpg, I'll update on my first fill up on any gains which I'm hoping will be at least 2-3 mpg.

2) I wanted all that extra room that is between the drive shaft and the frame rails that was otherwise being used by the MASSIVE exhaust system.

So without further ado here's my stock exhaust before getting pulled out:

And here's what was built in it's place...

Looking forward and up to the Down Pipe

Looking back and to where the pipe leads over the passenger frame rail

And then looking back from the outside passenger frame rail

Here's the loop when not installed

For some reason I don't have any pics from then on, but it opens up to 4" from that point and then dumps before the passenger rear tire out at a 90. I painted it black so it's less visible but I might redo it in a few weeks/months depending on how annoying or how much I enjoy the rumble.

Here is all the free space that was opened up with the bulky and extensive exhaust removed, I plan on putting in a fresh water tank, a compressor and air tanks, a generator and then where the spare tire used to be I will install one of the floor boxes that are accessed from the inside of the cargo van.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:39 PM   #46

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

I installed the cruise control today works perfect. thanks

Ron
Old 04-26-2013, 01:22 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyford
I installed the cruise control today works perfect. thanks

Ron
Yeah?? Sweet! Glad it worked out for you! Not all the vehicles are wired the same so I never really know who can or can't do it just by plug and play. You shoulda done that mod a long time ago considering how many miles you put on that van!! Lol
Where did you find the stalk? New or used? I bought mine at the stealership and overpaid for it!
Old 04-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #48

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

Where did you find the stalk? New or used? I bought mine at the stealership and overpaid for it! [/quote]

I got it a the local stealership as well how ever it was only $60.00. connections and a very small town.

Ron
Old 05-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #49

So Update Time....

MY BUMPERS FINALLY ARRIVED!!!!

They arrived on Friday and I called the Distribution Center which is 40 miles away and asked when they would deliver it and they said they would deliver it on Monday and I said F-that and drove down there and picked them up!!

I love how versatile my Van is!! Was able to load up the palette no problem even with my tool shelf.

450lbs of bumpers!!

Packing wasn't too great though, the bumpers were rubbing on each other a little bit...

But I can fix that with some Paint, no biggie.

I couldn't even get them unloaded before I unwrapped them!!
I like them alot and the powder-coating match the tires perfectly! Welds are solid and well done, cuts and angles are also spot on, really from a quality aspect I'm very very pleased with them!

So, time to get to work...

Time to take the old one off...

I did this swap by myself with no jacks or lifts which was pretty dumb...lifting a 200lbs bumper while trying to put bolts through the back of it was not the most brilliant things I've done.

But I got it on...

Bumper fit flawlessly, went on perfectly straight and all the gaps are identical all the way around, very pleased with the fit!

Picked up some Locking Lug Nuts and got my Spare tire mounted, also picked up some black shackles for the bumpers and Installed my Ball Mount, didn't do it on purpose but everything is blacked out, love it!

All that's left to do for the rear one is get some 3 or 4" lights to mount inside the bumper. I'll look around to see if there's anything cool.

Haven't done the front one yet as that involves cutting a cross member out and some grinding, probably do that one on monday!
Old 05-11-2013, 11:47 PM   #50

I also swapped in some HID's. My stock headlamps were on their way out and more or less could not light up much of anything, if I got on roads without street lamps it really became an issue.
So...

Before:

And after:

I feel alot more comfortable and relaxed driving with these lights now, very happy with them. And I'm still gonna add some Fog lamps as well as a light bar up top. This thing is gonna put out some light when I'm done!!