Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2013, 12:38 AM   #51

Re: 2006 Duramax Build thread

Just like Christmas... as a kid I used get these plastic models... PT109, various cars, remember those> Paint and glue. I'd stay up all night. We don't need no stinking delayed gratification!

I think my last glass of wine is showing!

Looking good!

2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:03 PM   #52

Thanks PatO!! I'm liking this beefier look very much!!
So I got a rush of excitement to get the front bumper done about 90 minutes ago just as the sun was going down and ran out to Home Depot and rented a angle grinder and tore the bumper off:

Ground down the portion of the crossmember that sticks out from the frame rails:

And threw the TDK bumper on, got a couple bolts on and...ran out of light! LOL

She's on there with most of the bolts in, none of them tight nor is the bumper aligned. It was too dark to tell what I needed to do or how to proceed so I will pick this up in the morning at first light. I need to run down and get 4 washers at Home Depot as well but other than that it shouldn't be too much longer.

Why I decided to do this at 7:30 at night I have no idea!
Old 05-13-2013, 07:21 AM   #53

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin
Why I decided to do this at 7:30 at night I have no idea!
^^^ because "still plays with cars." i do the same shit. start projects hungry and tired knowing damn well i wont get it completed before darkness hits. usually stop when im so hungry im shaking or theres so much blood i faint, lol.

looking awesome man! look forward to the finished pix of the front. Rear turned out really nice and the matching spare is a nice touch.

going along with the blackout theme, have you thought about tinting the taillights and third brake light? Would make that look like one universal piece that goes around the rear doors. its pretty easy to do yourself
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #54

So... ALL DONE!!

Got the bumper sorted out today, had to run to Home Depot and get a few washers but lining it up took a bit longer than expected. I also got the Lower lights installed and wired up. I'll have to do a better job of adjusting them but in order to do so I'm gonna have to get some washers/spacers first. So onto the pics...

Here's the bumper on and lined up w/out the lights in them yet:

The Gap on these bumpers is super tight, perfect even!!

And then with the lights installed:

Fogs on:

Fogs and DRL's:

And then with the HID's:

So what's the verdict? Bumper look good? I love the Rear and really like the front, but it's got a little bit of growing to do on me before I actually full on Love it!
Old 05-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
^^^ because "still plays with cars." i do the same shit. start projects hungry and tired knowing damn well i wont get it completed before darkness hits. usually stop when im so hungry im shaking or theres so much blood i faint, lol.

looking awesome man! look forward to the finished pix of the front. Rear turned out really nice and the matching spare is a nice touch.

going along with the blackout theme, have you thought about tinting the taillights and third brake light? Would make that look like one universal piece that goes around the rear doors. its pretty easy to do yourself

Tell me about it!! You and I have that same thing where we don't eat. I've done that more than a few times, spent all day wrenching on my project and never even stop to eat. Get headaches and dizzy and nauseated and bloods everywhere and I still don't wanna stop working!! LOL

Thanks, I posted pics of the bumper, let me know what you think, changes the look of the Van pretty drastically. I do plan on tinting the brake lights just haven't gotten around to it, maybe tomorrow if I can find a place that sell quality tint material. I've seen some crappy DIY jobs so I want to make sure that I do it right the first time. I plan on getting a reverse back up camera in the 3rd brake light so I'll probably have to do that one over again eventually but no biggie. Got any suggestions on brand of tint and where to get it?
Old 05-13-2013, 10:11 PM   #56
Site Team

Bumpers look great IMO. Just take some time getting used to the extra length when you park your van.

Herb
Old 05-14-2013, 03:48 AM   #57

Not just the bumpers but the whole van is coming together nicely!

My Build Thread
SCBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:25 AM   #58

Garage

^^^ I completely agree with this statement!

Quote:
Tell me about it!! You and I have that same thing where we don't eat. I've done that more than a few times, spent all day wrenching on my project and never even stop to eat. Get headaches and dizzy and nauseated and bloods everywhere and I still don't wanna stop working!! LOL
yep, same exact stuff. get excited for end result and space off nourishment. i may not realize it, but the wife keeps a lot better track and it seems like right when im about to get sick and pass out, she pops her head out and says "are you hungry yet?" love that girl

Quote:
Thanks, I posted pics of the bumper, let me know what you think, changes the look of the Van pretty drastically.
bumper looks awesome, and fitment is very impressive. very tough looking setup. im willing to bet if the van was lifted a bit, youd love it 100%, but i feel where your coming from on the front. most times when you see a bumper that big and aggressive its on a huge lifted pickup on 35's (or bigger).

Quote:
I do plan on tinting the brake lights just haven't gotten around to it, maybe tomorrow if I can find a place that sell quality tint material. I've seen some crappy DIY jobs so I want to make sure that I do it right the first time. I plan on getting a reverse back up camera in the 3rd brake light so I'll probably have to do that one over again eventually but no biggie. Got any suggestions on brand of tint and where to get it?
whenever ive bought spray tint off the shelf (havent been able to find it last time i looked though), it was super light and took way more product than it should have. last few times i just went to a paint shop and had them mix me up some and put it in spray cans. usually if you buy a quart of clear, they will add black and it fills three high quality spray cans. most autopaint shops know the "magic" combination to get it right these days, but id call around first. usually those shops with a slammed dually on air out front know whats up, lol. i have a buddy that just did the tails on his crv, ill have to ask him where he found it or if he had it mixed. ill let you know.

EDIT: talked to this guy and he said he uses VHT nightshade off the shelf stuff. three light coats and then a few layers of dupli-color clear coat. photo of finished product.

personally, i would have sanded off the lettering, but that could be an issue where you live. with all the cheapo aftermarket replacement lenses around anymore, some officers will look to make sure they have the DOT stamp on them.

also, when your applying it, you cant dust it on like regular spray paint. you have to lay it on pretty thick, like right on the verge of running thick, otherwise its ends up looking foggy.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:59 AM   #59

So I've learned a few things concerning lights the last couple weeks. First is that HID's do not do well in Halogen projectors. They do a fine job in lighting up the road, but they also light up everything else including other motorists and oncoming traffic, which isn't cool IMO. Apparently HID's need to be in projector housings which unfotunetly nobody makes for our/my van!

However, I found these online and Ordered some Projector lens to try to fix the light scattering issues...

It's a universal kit meant to convert halogen housings to projector housings. Hopefully I can split the headlight housings without too much issue and convert the halogen housings to projector housings. I'll try to do it this week if I have time but this week is gonna be a bit busy for me. We'll see but I'm looking forward to doing this so I no longer blind other motorists.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:05 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Bumpers look great IMO. Just take some time getting used to the extra length when you park your van.
Herb
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBrian
Not just the bumpers but the whole van is coming together nicely!
Thanks guys!! It's slowly coming together and starting to round into shape. Still have a ways to go though! I plan on doing some asthetic/aero modifications to the front bumper hopefully this week to help tone down some of the aggressive look of it. I don't want to lift this van, on the contrary I want to put it on bags and lower it but retain the ability to lift it when need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
^^^ I completely agree with this statement!

yep, same exact stuff. get excited for end result and space off nourishment. i may not realize it, but the wife keeps a lot better track and it seems like right when im about to get sick and pass out, she pops her head out and says "are you hungry yet?" love that girl

bumper looks awesome, and fitment is very impressive. very tough looking setup. im willing to bet if the van was lifted a bit, youd love it 100%, but i feel where your coming from on the front. most times when you see a bumper that big and aggressive its on a huge lifted pickup on 35's (or bigger).

whenever ive bought spray tint off the shelf (havent been able to find it last time i looked though), it was super light and took way more product than it should have. last few times i just went to a paint shop and had them mix me up some and put it in spray cans. usually if you buy a quart of clear, they will add black and it fills three high quality spray cans. most autopaint shops know the "magic" combination to get it right these days, but id call around first. usually those shops with a slammed dually on air out front know whats up, lol. i have a buddy that just did the tails on his crv, ill have to ask him where he found it or if he had it mixed. ill let you know.

EDIT: talked to this guy and he said he uses VHT nightshade off the shelf stuff. three light coats and then a few layers of dupli-color clear coat. photo of finished product.

personally, i would have sanded off the lettering, but that could be an issue where you live. with all the cheapo aftermarket replacement lenses around anymore, some officers will look to make sure they have the DOT stamp on them.

also, when your applying it, you cant dust it on like regular spray paint. you have to lay it on pretty thick, like right on the verge of running thick, otherwise its ends up looking foggy.
Thanks for the heads up on the window tint! I will tackle that job after doing the healight mods. The projects and things to-do on this Van just don't stop!!

I also was able to wire in a Trailer Brake Harness to go along with my 7-pin connector so now I can tow the heavy trailers without having to worry about overheating my brakes. Very stoked about that!!