Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2013, 01:45 AM   #31

Re: 2006 Duramax Build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyford
This is just my experience,
I just-as in today had to replace my torque converter. I only have 130k on my Van, The reason is because even with my Dura Max being detuned it still has to much power for my transmission 4L85E. Heck they even put the Allison behind the 8.1 gas motor which didn't have any where the torque my Dura Max has stock.

I have thought many times about getting more power however I have never needed it and I have a heavy foot.

I have a stand alone Allison Transmission and at some point I am going to install it, maybe next winter.

I would like to at some point do some exhaust work but man it's quite and runs so good I just haven't done it yet.

Ron
Swapping in an Allison transmission would be pretty sweet!! There's a few people that have done it but it does require a different TCM and wiring. Your also gonna have to cut up that trans tunnel up a little bit but that just gives you an excuse to use that grinding wheel a little more!!

Sorry to hear about your TQ letting go, that's just really weird though as it's not the weak link in a 4L85E. But yeah I'm gonna be careful with it and maybe put a shift kit in it before too long.

I'm doing exhaust this coming week so I'll take a before and after vid of it. But I'm not keeping the muffler or cats so I know it's gonna be really loud.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #32

webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #33

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

I think the TQ went because of me not dropping it to #rd when climbing hills with a load. I own a towing company and in the winter I do alot of long distance with the van in fact today Im leaving for DC then drop down to KY and back to Jackson. I would say this winter I have put 40,000 on the van pulling Powerwagans and Land Cruisers. I also have to admit Im running 75-80 pulling this stuff. However I need to do this trip in 6 days so not time to slow down.

Funny how living in Jackson Hole I was only able to find 2 trannys 4L85Es (thought I was got to replace it,) and I was in a hurry turned out I burnt out the TQ clutch in over drive IE needing to drop into 3rd while climbing with a load. IM pulling 10K. I believe this will be the last long heavy transport trip for the Van (BETTY) the wife says i need to buy a truck if im going to continue doing the long trips.
I just think this is the last one.

Ron
Old 04-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #34

Old 04-12-2013, 10:16 AM   #35

yes 2 in fact but i didn't know.

Ron
Old 04-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #36

I have a built 4L80E for my race truck, paid a pretty penny for it 5 years ago but it's been lasted behind a 1000hp motor and a 1200hp motor (both gassers) and it's still running good with no problems. I'm a fan of the 80E's and I know how much abuse they can take even in stock form with a cooler and a shift kit like your saying. If your gonna do a tranny swap why not put a 6L90E back there instead? I know it's no Ally but it would require alot less work in the long run.
What are you gonna do with your Van? You gonna keep it or sell it to get the truck?
Old 04-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #37

Oh no never selling it.
I would just add to the fleet.
However the business has grow that I really dont need to do anymore long distance stuff. just ,maybe the occasional Power Wagon. I think the only long distance is going to be with the wife and dog while my employes take care of everything else.

I also dont anticipate needing to do any thing else to my van except maybe redoing the inside this summer.

Ron
Old 04-14-2013, 09:35 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbmac
On another note, now that you have cruise control, try switching it on while you are idling in park to see if the high idle switch is enabled. It should be.
Cool, I didn't know it could do that. Gonna give it a shot today. Does the motor have to be cold for that to actually work or will that work at all times when in park?
Old 04-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #39

Old 04-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbmac
Should work anytime. Beats the ghetto rig 2x4 I had between the seat (power seats) and the accelerator pedal before I knew that I had the high idle switch. Yes, the turbo does free up and increase boost as the oil warms up...
Just tried it and nothing. Put the Cruise on and engaged it as if I were setting the cruise and nothing happened!! :/

Is it really bad to drive around with the motor being cold? I do it all the time because I don't have 10 minutes to wait everyday.

Got the correct LBZ blocker plate!!

I'm gonna wait until I get the SPADE controller before slipping this thing in that way I don't have to worry about the check engine light. Should be here tomorrow I hope.