Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2015, 08:08 AM   #51

Re: 2010 Express AWD build,The Gnarvan

Excellent write up on the steering column swap. For me, cruise is a must-have item.

2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:05 AM   #52
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Man, I didn't even know Au-ve-co was still around. I bought some of their epoxy a few years ago and it was the best around. It was about $25 for a small amount but worked amazingly well.

Lookin' good!

Au-Ve-Co is pretty much the "gold standard" when it comes to aftermarket automotive fasteners such as clips, retainers, trim washers & screws---their catalog is extensive and impressive.

The site Clipsandfasteners.com uses the on-line version of Au-Ve-Co's catalog so they're my go-to guys for so much these days. A Ford F-Series clip I replace frequently costs me >$10 for a box of 15---dealer cost EACH is over $5!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:54 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
Excellent write up on the steering column swap. For me, cruise is a must-have item.
If I don't use it on long trips I always tend to drive way over the speed limit. If it keeps me from getting one speeding ticket the cost and effort will be well worth it.
TeleSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:19 PM   #54

A little more progress on the interior. I finished the headliner and installed and partially wired the interior lights:

I painted the trim ring for the MaxxFan black. I wired the lights to turn on in pairs. I am thinking I will put three switches on the pillar behind the side doors, one for the front lights, one for the middle, and a three way for the back lights. I will have another 3-way near the rear cargo doors for the rear lights.
Attached Thumbnails
019 (Small).JPG   016 (Small).JPG   021 (Small).JPG  
Old 09-02-2015, 10:28 PM   #55

I went with these lights from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OD ... UTF8&psc=1
They are 110 lumen 2.75" round lights. They can be snapped into a 2 1/8" hole in panels around 1/4" thick, but also have 3 holes for screw attachment hidden under the covers. They put out plenty of light and I like that they put out a warm white light not too white.
Here are the lights on in the dark.

This is what the lights look like.

Attached Thumbnails
024 (Small).JPG   013 (Small).JPG   014 (Small).JPG  
Old 09-02-2015, 10:43 PM   #56

With the headliner in I started on the wall furring strips and cut and fitted the plywood floor. I used 1/2" baltic birch for the floor and wall furring strips.

I then carpeted the wheel wells and hump for the fuel filler. I am using a VanTred rubber mat under the plywood. I was originally just going to just use the VanTred with some added insulation, but it didn't extend all the way to the walls and didn't stay in place well. It does flatten the floor nicely and has some r-value.

The plywood was reinstalled and I covered it with a OEM rubber mat after removing the insulation backing. The mat was little wrinkled in the picture after being folded up for a while, but flattened out after sitting for a day. I will eventually glue it to the plywood.
Attached Thumbnails
032 (Small).JPG   034 (Small).JPG   036 (Small).JPG  
Old 09-03-2015, 05:01 AM   #57
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

If you do glue the OEM mat to the plywood use one of the pressure-sensitive adhesives, that like used for "carpet tiles" in commercial buildings, over concrete floors.

I really like your overhead LED lighting too---very efficient, enough light for most tasks---well done!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:57 AM   #58

Thanks for the link on the lights. Those are nice! Added to my ever growing Amazon wish list.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:02 PM   #59

I made some progress on the van.
Got the wall panels cut and fitted. I am using 1/4" alder plywood.

This took some thought and tinkering but came up with a way to transition the walls to the headliner. I used 1/2" Baltic birch on the bottom and 1/4" on the side. The corner is rounded at about a 1" radius. The bottom sits flat and screws into the bottom of the sheet medal wall/roof transition. The side sits at a 60* angle and attaches to a piece of 1x2 with a 60 * bevel on the side. This part has machine screws with a nut on the backside. The 1x2 has holes that they push into., the screw heads will be covered with the tan vinyl that covers the whole piece. The vinyl will match the factory plastic trim pieces at the front. The 4 bottom screws will get tan plastic caps.
Attached Thumbnails
025 (Small).JPG   036 (Small).JPG   035 (Small).JPG  
Old 10-11-2015, 09:07 PM   #60

I started work on the cabinets. Here is the beginning of the face frame. All 1x Alder.

Here are the three dividing panels for the front cabinet out 1/2" Alder ply. The piece with the bend in it is for behind the driver seat.

Attached Thumbnails
037 (Small).JPG   038 (Small).JPG   039 (Small).JPG