Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2023, 10:58 AM   #21

Garage
Great Looking build so far!

I would also recommend regearing especially if you are going any bigger in tire size. Also, I would look at a 5Star tuner to get your speedo and shift points all back in line. Now being on 35" the speedo is 100% accurate and the van is more lively than it was before my 4x4 conversion.

aarcaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 09:00 PM   #22

Thanks aarcaris! Those are all of the list! I am planning to get a dif locker soon (trying to decide between air or e locker) and have it re-geared at the same time. I am sticking with the 33s for awhile but it needs the extra torque for sure! Can you change the tune on the 5 star on the fly? It would be cool to have a towing long distance (best mpg) map and Hoonivan map!

boywonder - I actually can't believe that he finished 5 miles of hell on that bike haha. He did mention how scary the brakes are. Drums are just so sketchy.
h.grenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 09:28 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.grenade View Post
Thanks aarcaris! Those are all of the list! I am planning to get a dif locker soon (trying to decide between air or e locker) and have it re-geared at the same time. I am sticking with the 33s for awhile but it needs the extra torque for sure! Can you change the tune on the 5 star on the fly? It would be cool to have a towing long distance (best mpg) map and Hoonivan map!

boywonder - I actually can't believe that he finished 5 miles of hell on that bike haha. He did mention how scary the brakes are. Drums are just so sketchy.
Why not cable actuated Ox locker? Simple, easy to use, very few things to fail.
motovan_mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 10:06 AM   #24

Garage
5Star Tuning is actually just the company that makes the tunes and they sell the tuners with them already set up. The one I got is an SCT X4 Tuner which comes with 3 tune options. I believe you can load multiple tunes, but to switch you have to turn the engine on and off and go through a sequence on the controller. They sell another SCT Livewire TS+ which is more expensive, but I think it may have the ability to do more on-the-fly adjustments.

As for the rear locker, I would also suggest OX lockers. I went with an electric cable actuated OX Locker on my rear and so far have been happy with it!
aarcaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 03:13 PM   #25

Nice van! I also live in Central Oregon, so I will wave if I see you. I also have a white EB with a Weldtec lift....pretty awesome IMHO and I have only gotten stuck twice, once in deep snow, and once in very deep mud...but we usually travel with friends who can pull us out so we know what we can and cannot do when we are travelling alone. Lastly I ALSO have a love for motorcycles, and central Oregon is a great place to live for it. Haven't been riding (or racing) much at all lately but hoping to get back to it. I restore British motorcycles as a hobby, but between young kids, work, van projects, adventuring, and a global pandemic, I haven't made motorcycles my priority.

A couple of my Greeves, a '67 Challenger for motocross, and a '65 Scottish for trials. I have too many motorcycles, but these are quirky and generally crowd pleasers.
lmpetersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 04:10 PM   #26

motovan_nm - I didn't know ox did electric activation lockers. I have heard great things about them. I have a driver's swivel so I don't want anything coming up through the floor. I see one for a 35 spline axle but I don't know the specs on mine its a 2011 with axle code of 34. Not that helpful. haha

Thanks aarcaris - I will look into it for sure.

lmpetersen - Nice van! haha I love the flexible solar panel on the hood, nice touch. Good to know that it's capable in 2WD. We haven't tested it yet but are planning to tear it up soon! We should all plan a van day trip somewhere offroad just for fun. Also nice bikes. I have a 1981 cb750 cafe racer that is still a WIP but man old bikes are a huge amount of effort haha
Old 02-26-2023, 08:18 PM   #27

Not a great progress week but not for lack of trying. Interior is painted, I made a base for the kitchen cabinet and started cutting the upper wall panels. Hopefully I will have something more exciting to show next week.

Masking x painting interior parts that wont be covered in trim panels

One more task crossed off the list!

I need to get my flooring in but I'm sure you can see the problem haha
Old 02-27-2023, 09:07 AM   #28

Looks great, just sent you a private message regarding interior panels. The snow that we got wasn’t helpful but I was able to get a major project done on mine as well, ironically adding a diesel heater which I highly recommend to anyone.
Old 02-27-2023, 08:11 PM   #29

Thanks. Nice! Is your van Diesel and you tapped the tank or will you just carry a small rotopax or something?

I have a propex 2200 waiting to go in. I almost went Espar or chinese Amazon ripoff but I always have a small BBQ and sometime a propane firepit so I figured we will have to have propane anyway.
Old 02-27-2023, 08:28 PM   #30

Mine is gas. I got a Chinese one a few months ago and I really spent a lot of time trying to decide where to mount it. I wanted the tank outside the van, hidden, and secured but I also didn’t want to cut a hole in the van for a filler neck and all of that…maybe eventually. So for now, I bought a smaller tank and mounted it to the rear crossmember. Considering they don’t need to be filled often, and I can almost sit all the way up under there, I just use a transfer pump and fill it up from another gas can. Pretty slick and out of the way. I mounted the heater itself behind the rear wheel well, passenger side.