Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2019, 01:02 PM   #141

Garage
Terrific work. Thank you so much for the photos and workflow explanations. It’s really helpful and will save me considerable time this winter.

p.s.: As a woodworker, I love that you put the effort into those nice dadoes even when they were going to get covered up. Cool.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:46 AM   #142
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthayn View Post
JWA, you are right about cutting into the van. I think back to my first cut, which was cutting the holes in the van walls for the windows. I was very hesitant and concerned, but then I reminded myself that CCV was going to cut out half the roof, so a few more holes was no big deal. Cutting into the interior door panels was pretty easy, considering that they will be covered.
If I didn't know better I'd think your "before" photos were mine---I did much the same layout before whipping out the jig saw. IIRC I didn't cut enough away in one door so had to cut again--didn't want to go too far.

In my case I used 3/8" plywood with an ABS FRP pebble texture solid sheeting which was then attached with 1/4" SS truss head screws to PlusNuts or slotted body rivet nuts as they're AKA. This way I can remove them a number of times if necessary which has happened. Adding the powered dead bolt locks was one time.

FWIW I used the factory plastic covers as found on bare bones cargo-only models. From the profile to locating the mounting holes those are just about perfect.
Replacing latch cables or any other inner door maintenance is fairly easy.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:08 PM   #143

Final Touches

There were a several small projects I needed to finish on the van before we leave on our 3 week trip through Lake Tahoe and then up to the Columbia River Gorge.

I didn’t do a great job of documenting the details with pictures, but they are pretty simple projects.

First was taking advantage of the space available on the upper half of the barn doors. Earlier I had installed a vinyl covered panel. I build a couple of spice racks/shelfs to mount below the paper towel dispenser on the 40 door. I included a couple of bungee cords to hold everything tight when shutting the door or during travel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2055.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	29446

Name:	IMG_2056.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	29447

On the 60 door I added a maple board with several small spring clamps. We will use these to hold hats, hand towels, etc. I also added mirror with a swivel arm to keep the princess happy. She likes to look at herself.

Name:	IMG_2054.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	29448

Name:	IMG_2060.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	29449

I could not find a hand towel rack that I liked. Everything was too large and the wrong color/finish. I wanted something clean and simple. So I built one from some 1/4” metal rod and a couple of 2” metal disk that I welded to the bent metal rod.

Name:	IMG_2058.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	29450

I added a bungee net in the nose of the poptop. Since at this location there is just a 1/4” of fiberglass covered with carpet, I could not screw anything to the poptop. So I made a frame to hold the netting and then used Velcro to attach it to the carpet. I am not too sure how well this will hold up, but we only plan to put light weight items there (jackets, towels, etc). It does take advantage of some wasted space.

Name:	IMG_2057.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	29451

I made a couple of fabric covered wood and foam pieces that will fill in a few gaps between the finished walls and the cab of the van.

Name:	IMG_2053.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	29452

Name:	IMG_2052.jpg
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	29453

Name:	IMG_2051.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	29454

And finally a picture of the grandkids. The frame is a license plate frame that our son had made for us.

Name:	IMG_2059.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	29455

I still Need to figure out how to add some AMP Powersteps, but that will have to wait for a while.

We leave on our trip tomorrow, so we can see how the van works for us on a longer trip.
cthayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:15 AM   #144

I dig that repurpose of the personalized license plate ring. Very cool idea.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:18 AM   #145

Garage
Nice work! Would enjoy hearing more about the “wood and foam” pieces.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:42 AM   #146

The wood was just 3/16”plywood that I cut to fit the shape and covered with fabric using spray adhesive.

There were some 3-D spaces that I needed to fill. Mostly above the B pillar on both sides.

Name:  IMG_2063.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  18.5 KB

For these spaces I used some scrap 2” foam left over from insulating the van. I used a hacksaw blade to cut out varying shapes to make layers throughout the 3-D profile. I glued the layers together and then used a course rasp to get the final shape.

Once I had the final shape I stretched and glued the fabric to cover the shape.

Name:	IMG_2061.jpg
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	29494

Sorry I didn’t take any pictures of the process, but there are probably examples online.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:44 PM   #147

Garage
Nice, thanks much!
Old 10-05-2019, 12:14 PM   #148

2012 E-350 EB V10, 4x4, CCV Top

A Few More Small Projects

After our 3 week trip in northern CA, NV and Oregon, I came up with a few more small projects to complete.

First, was a door hook to hold open the 40 door. After building a prototype from 1/4” plywood, I used a piece of scrap UHMW plastic to make the hook. A nutsert in the door and a machine screw inside a 1/4” bushing was used to attach the hook to the door. A piece of adhesive back velcro is used to hold the hook to the door.

Name:	IMG_3111.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	29903

Name:	IMG_3112.jpg
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	29904

Second, in our search for a more comfortable bed, I decided to try a slat/spring base from IKEA.

The original CCV bed was made from 1 fixed and 3 separate plywood panels. On each panel was a 3” thick foam pad. This original design was a pain to set up and take down whenever you moved the top up or down, or set up the bed. Also, 3” of foam were not going to make it as an adequate mattress.

I made a modification to the panel bed, using 3 piano hinges and 2 gas struts. You can see the details in post #92 of my build thread.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-20698-10.html

Name:	IMG_3113.jpg
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	29905

I also replaced the 3” of foam with a 4” foam mattress from Amazon. The 4” foam was a big improvement, but by morning my shoulder and hip would be aching.

So I decided to try a IKEA Luroy slatted bed base. To get a good fit, I bought the queen size base ($90) and modified it to fit the CCV bed. I had to cut the base into sections to allow the folding action as I raise the bed. I also cut down the wooden base, so the overall height was about 2”.

Name:	IMG_3116.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	29907

Name:	IMG_3114.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	29906

Name:	IMG_3117.jpg
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	29908

Name:	IMG_3118.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	29909

It seems like a good modification. We are planning a 3 night trip on the White Rim Trail in a few weeks. That will be a good test of the comfort.

I also thought out a few hacks with the MaxxFan.

First, shut all the windows and doors and set the fan at 100% to exhaust the van. Then as I lower the CCV top, the resulting lower pressure in the van will suck in the fabric sides as the top lowers. I use to lower the top 80% and then go around the van with a stick to poke the fabric up under the top, as I lowered the top the rest of the way.

This got me thinking about the air pressure in the van. Like most vans, after a few miles on a dirt road, the dust works its way into the van. We get a layer of dust when ever we spend time on a dirt road. My theory is by using the MaxxFan to pump air into the van, this will give the van a higher internal air pressure. This pressure will keep the dust from coming into the van. We will need to keep the windows closed to keep the internal pressure higher. I have only tried this for a short section of dirt, so I am looking forward to try this on our WRT trip later this month.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3114.jpg  
Old 10-05-2019, 05:30 PM   #149

Garage
That’s like a high end hotel bed! I love it
Old 10-06-2019, 06:00 AM   #150

Garage
Looking great. I'd be interested to hear how your positive pressure method works to keep out dust. Thanks for posting.