Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2018, 08:22 AM   #81

Perv... I like it.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:27 AM   #82

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:50 AM   #83

Interior Wall Build

I finally had time to do more work on the inner walls of the van. As every E-series van owner knows, there is not a straight, flat, or coplanar surface anywhere on the interior of the van. It appear the van narrows and tapers down towards the rear of the van. This made it very difficult to get a good fit and I probably put on 3 miles of walking between the van and the saw in the shop.
I started by adding some horizontal wood stringers to the walls. The bottom wood piece was screwed to the bottom of the pinch weld. The middle was screwed to the inner van wall and the top was bolted to the upper part of the wall using some nutserts. Since there are some wires that run through the top chamber of the wall, I did not want sharp screw points risking damage to the wires. I don’t think it is a big risk, but why take chances. I also had to remove the wood pieces a few times, so I was glad to have machine screws.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3801.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	21466

Name:	IMG_3802.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	21467

Next was cutting the walls from some 3/16" plywood I had. I plan on covering the walls with padded fabric, so it did not matter what the walls looked like. First step was building templates to capture the profile of the wall interface with the B-pillar trim, gas fill hump and wheel wells.

Name:	IMG_3805.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	21468

Name:	IMG_3807.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	21469

I made 3 separate templates, and then connected them with some wood strips. This gave me one template that would fit on a 4x8 sheet of plywood, and keep the 3 templates in the right place.

Name:	IMG_3809.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	21470

Once the template was ready, I traced the shape on the plywood and cut it out with the jigsaw.

Name:	IMG_3811.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	21471

Of course the first cut was not quite right, so it was many trips back to the shop to fine tune the fit.

I framed the windows with some 1/2" poplar. After building the frame I held the frame around the windows and scribed the outer van wall to the frame.

Name:	IMG_3842.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	21472

I cut the outer wall profile on the window frame with the bandsaw. It took two times to get a tight fit to the wall. I used some double-stick tape to hold the frame in place and scribed the inner was profile, using a thin piece of wood as a batten to mark the profile.

Attachment 21474

Name:	IMG_3846.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	21476

This worked pretty well and I am happy with the fit.

I attached the frame to the metal outer wall with some Lexel silicone. With the window frame mounted I attached the plywood walls and used a flush trim router bit to cut the opening in the wall for the window.

Name:	IMG_3854.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	21477

To be continued
cthayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:56 AM   #84

Interior Wall Build pt 2

For some reason, I am having troubles posting pictures so I had to break this into two posts.

I added some vertical stringers on the driver side where the two sheets of plywood meet to provide more support. I added a few other vertical stringers on the passenger side to support the wall cabinet that will be added later. These stringers were screwed to the horizontal stringers and the cut to the inner wall profile.

I don't know why the first two are rotated, and I don't have time to figure it out.

Name:	IMG_3884.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	21478

Name:	IMG_3887.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	21479

Name:	IMG_3972.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	21481

Finally done.

Name:	IMG_3973.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	21482

Name:	IMG_3974.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	21483

For now the walls are temporarily in place. We have a camping trip this week and will take the van. Later I will have to remove the walls for the insulation and wiring.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:06 PM   #85
MSD

Garage
Nice work looks great. ��
1997 E350 7.3l 2wd - Sold
MSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:38 AM   #86
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthayn View Post

I don't know why the first two are rotated, and I don't have time to figure it out.
Most forum boards limit photo display to an aspect ratio of 800(w) x 600(h) pixels--from the look of your rotated images they're "too tall" to display properly oriented.

Without editing or "transforming" the original or copied image to meet forum limits they'll show up sideways.

They are nice photos though---great progress and thanks for sharing with us.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:48 AM   #87

That makes sense. I usually take pictures in the landscape orientation, but for some reason took these two in the portrait orientation.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:49 PM   #88

I have not had much time lately to work on the van. Between work, family, home projects and work and vacation travel, I have not had an open weekend to work on the van for the past 10 weeks.

I finally found a few evenings to do some work.

I never really understood the purpose of the 4 panel bed on the CCV top. I can see some advantages, but it seems that it was more of a problem for us, than an advantage.

So I converted it into a 2 panel bed. The panel in the rear is permanently attached and I combined the other 3 panels into a single unit. I used a couple of 1”x 2.5” pieces of maple screwed to the underside of the panels. I attached the large panel to the fixed panel with a piano hinge. I also hung a couple of 1” wide webbing straps to hold the panel up. The straps are connected into the bolts that hold the top to the mechanism. Now after the poptop is raised, we can lift the bed and hold it up out of the way. Pretty simple and it seems to work for us. I thought about using gas shocks to hold up the bed, but I thought I would try the simple way first.
Attached Thumbnails
91CCB2F4-F301-4E39-A77F-1941FADCA19B.jpg   D97FCAA1-C49F-48AF-A879-17F8A7B2F6EA.jpg  
Old 09-27-2018, 09:14 PM   #89
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Nice, I’ve been trying to come up with solutions for our panels too, we’ve got the RB-50 so one large fixed panel in the rear and 2 smaller up front. The only issue is that we usually like to flip the 1st smaller front one up and out of the way onto the platform for more standing headroom when the top is up or down. It would be nice for us to be able to completely suspend both or at least the 1 smaller panel from the ceiling, not just hooked from one end.....like what SMB does with their bed panel.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:47 PM   #90

It was nice to have the smaller panel and just lift them out of the way, but it was tiring to get them back into place. With the large hinged panel, it is quick to raise and lower, and it doesn’t mess up the bedding.