Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #91

Re: 2013 E350 New Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorvon
I would by the adapter for the stereo wiring. They make life easy and if shopped online they are pretty cheap. Otherwise, cut and splice.

If you cut and splice, use solder or the heat shrink butt connectors.
Thanks,
I just sent Kenwood and e-mail to see if they make one. I've had no luck finding one for this application online.

skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #92

Hey Skinny,

does this help?

I found a 2013 E-series wiring manual on Ebay for about $35. They are really good references to have around for the stuff you're doing.

Make sure that any of the twisted pairs you're relocating are put back together correctly. Some of that stuff may be related to the CAN bus and the whole system is sensitive to resistance. I can't tell from your pictures if you snipped anything that could be a problem but I thought I'd warn you if you didn't know. Personally, I wouldn't cut and re-splice any of the CAN wires due to the communications issues it can cause.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:04 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks
Hey Skinny,

does this help?

I found a 2013 E-series wiring manual on Ebay for about $35. They are really good references to have around for the stuff you're doing.

Make sure that any of the twisted pairs you're relocating are put back together correctly. Some of that stuff may be related to the CAN bus and the whole system is sensitive to resistance. I can't tell from your pictures if you snipped anything that could be a problem but I thought I'd warn you if you didn't know. Personally, I wouldn't cut and re-splice any of the CAN wires due to the communications issues it can cause.
That's awesome, thanks. I'm going to have to get one of those manuals. And no, I didn't know anything about the CAN wires. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Cheers
Old 11-13-2013, 04:25 AM   #94
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny
I hope I'm not color blind. If I am, JWA is going to have to come and help me out. It was his idea after all to relocate this wiring harness. ;-)
I'll come runnin'----you're right this was my "bright" idea!

On my most recent re-route I accidentally crossed a black and very dark brown wire. It didn't take me too long to get a bright white LED lamp on the bundle---the mistake showed up quite plainly then.

Maybe needless to say once everything is spliced check all stop, tail, license and turn lights---don't forget the HMSL or third brake light too.

Looking good-----do you have a hoped-for date of completion?

PS: Sent you a PM about something---check your inbox!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #95

100% spend the money on a stereo wiring adapter. Crutchfield has them, and I'm sure other places do, too. It makes wiring up the stereo pretty painless. You can sit at your kitchen table and do it there, then just take the stereo out and plug it into the OEM harness. Super easy and clean.

I recently installed a new double-DIN unit in my dad's 2011 Ford work van. Here are the parts we got from Crutchfield. BTW, when you buy a stereo from Crutchfield, they include all the necessary parts for free; a good deal. They also provide vehicle-specific, detailed install guides. I highly recommend them for auto audio purchases.

Ford wire harness 120705520 $7.99
Ford/Lincoln/Mercury kit 120955812 $9.99 (this is the dash trim plate that you'll need if installing a double-DIN unit)
Chrysler/GM/Ford antenna adapter 12040CR10 $7.99 (you'll need this adapter to adapt the OEM antenna plug to the Kenwood's antenna input; they are different)
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
100% spend the money on a stereo wiring adapter. Crutchfield has them, and I'm sure other places do, too. It makes wiring up the stereo pretty painless. You can sit at your kitchen table and do it there, then just take the stereo out and plug it into the OEM harness. Super easy and clean.

I recently installed a new double-DIN unit in my dad's 2011 Ford work van. Here are the parts we got from Crutchfield. BTW, when you buy a stereo from Crutchfield, they include all the necessary parts for free; a good deal. They also provide vehicle-specific, detailed install guides. I highly recommend them for auto audio purchases.

Ford wire harness 120705520 $7.99
Ford/Lincoln/Mercury kit 120955812 $9.99 (this is the dash trim plate that you'll need if installing a double-DIN unit)
Chrysler/GM/Ford antenna adapter 12040CR10 $7.99 (you'll need this adapter to adapt the OEM antenna plug to the Kenwood's antenna input; they are different)
Thanks BrianW, I got the stuff ordered from Crutchfield.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny
I hope I'm not color blind. If I am, JWA is going to have to come and help me out. It was his idea after all to relocate this wiring harness. ;-)
I'll come runnin'----you're right this was my "bright" idea!

On my most recent re-route I accidentally crossed a black and very dark brown wire. It didn't take me too long to get a bright white LED lamp on the bundle---the mistake showed up quite plainly then.

Maybe needless to say once everything is spliced check all stop, tail, license and turn lights---don't forget the HMSL or third brake light too.

Looking good-----do you have a hoped-for date of completion

PS: Sent you a PM about something---check your inbox!
Thanks for the link, JW. I got one ordered. I'm shooting for the first part of January to be finished.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #98

Installed the diesel tank today.

Started building the battery box. I still have to weld on some 45 deg. braces and the angle on the other end for the bolts.
Attached Thumbnails
DPP_0127.JPG   DPP_0131.JPG   DPP_0135.JPG  
Old 11-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #99
Site Team

You are a man possessed. That extra diesel fuel tank is interesting and super cool. Where did you get it from?

Make sure you take into account how to safely lower that battery box. Full of batteries that thing will be heavy.

Herb
Old 11-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
You are a man possessed. That extra diesel fuel tank is interesting and super cool. Where did you get it from?

Make sure you take into account how to safely lower that battery box. Full of batteries that thing will be heavy.

Herb
Hi Herb, "possessed?" lol
I am on a mission. ;-)
I got my tank from the link below.
http://www.coyote-gear.com/tanks.html