Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #131

Re: 2013 E350 New Build

Looks great Skinny. Thanks for posting the progress pics. It's interesting to see just what goes into a project like this and you're skills and attention to detail are second to none!

Newbie question: how did you attach the nailing boards (furring strips?) to the van itself, and where? Are these screwed in to the areas where the body is double-walled or has pillars? Just curious...usually by the time I see in the inside of a converted van, all of that stuff is covered up by walls and trim.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #132

Skinny: Looking great! It's probably a little late, but here is an idea for joining your panels/hiding the seams:

This is what SMB uses for the headliner panels. I haven't located anything similar on the inter-web thingy, but if anyone knows what this stuff is called or where to find it please let me know.

.........and my heart goes out to all the little naugas that gave their lives for this project....haha
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:21 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
.........and my heart goes out to all the little naugas that gave their lives for this project....haha

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naugahyde
Attached Images

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #134

Quote:
Skinny: Looking great! It's probably a little late, but here is an idea for joining your panels/hiding the seams:

This is what SMB uses for the headliner panels. I haven't located anything similar on the inter-web thingy, but if anyone knows what this stuff is called or where to find it please let me know.

Thanks.
That is just a paneling T molding. You remember all the wood paneling that was used in houses in the 60's-70's? Any building center should have it.
skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadzima
Whats that roof rack doing still sitting on the ground, what's the hold up skinny???? JK

Walls are look awesome, your work is impressive!!!
Thanks Shadzima.
I'm gonna need some help to get that rack up on the roof. What's your schedule look like?
Old 11-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by lndshark
Looks great Skinny. Thanks for posting the progress pics. It's interesting to see just what goes into a project like this and you're skills and attention to detail are second to none!

Newbie question: how did you attach the nailing boards (furring strips?) to the van itself, and where? Are these screwed in to the areas where the body is double-walled or has pillars? Just curious...usually by the time I see in the inside of a converted van, all of that stuff is covered up by walls and trim.
Thanks for the compliment Indshark.
The backing is just screwed to parts of the interior layer of metal that I left in. I just drilled a pilot hole and attached with stainless steel screws.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA
Those dash boards and fitting things into them can sap a guy's energy quickly!

Your Naugahyde seams look good---nice fit there. Will you use some sort of screw head finish washers under them or perhaps those upholstery buttons?

On your side barn door and fitting the floor there: My van is only for work/cargo and it was an advantage to extend the plywood floor over the side foot well. I did have to carefully measure to allow the doors to close properly since I'd added plywood/FRP door trim panels. This gives me a bit more space inside and since I have self-fabricated running boards entry/exit isn't an issue at all. Something to think about.

I've also modified both side doors to accommodate small storage spaces. Not a lot but it does allow storing seldom-used but important tools close at hand and securely stowed.

Good call on fitting the side boxes----your mock up didn't account for the window height but otherwise it looks to be fitting together much as you'd planned.

Nice progress!
Thanks JW.
I had ordered some black Truss screws for the panels. The should be here today.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #138

Added the third layer of insulation on the drivers side. These panels are ready to be installed for the last time. I left it off where the panel will attach to the framing or metal. I also cut some backer strips and covered them to slip behind the panels where they join together. It should help keep both panels to follow the same curve and stay flush with each other.
Installed the front headliner and cut the panel for the back headliner.

Cut the wall panel for the passenger side and have it ready to cover up tomorrow. I thought I'd try this method out instead of building another panel to cover up the column.
Attached Thumbnails
DPP_0174.JPG   DPP_0175.JPG  
Old 11-22-2013, 09:53 AM   #139

Looking really good!
Thanks for taking the time to share the pics, info and answer everyone's questions!
I know it's helping me with ideas for my van and I'm sure plenty of other's as well!
Looking forward to more!
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:54 AM   #140

Quote:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_8567-293-M.DB11 ... facetInfo=