Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2018, 07:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibike View Post
I'm in a similar situation, looking at AT tires for a 2wd van, and I'm leaning hard towards the KO2. I had all season tires on a previous pickup, and after the third puncture on dirt/gravel roads I went AT and never looked back. I had Toyo AT2s on my last two vehicles, but I really like the looks, prices and reviews of the KO2s. 99% sure thats where I'm headed.

As far as size, I REALLY want to go 285/75R16 on the factory wheels. I have a set of Moog 880 coils in my garage which hopefully will get me close to 2" higher than stock in the front. I have the sad suspicion I'll only be able to swing 265s, however the guy who had my van last kinda butchered the inner fender lip where he attached some mud flaps. So I may be better off trimming a bit anyway....
I run 285/75R16 on my 2wd E350. I had Agile put on their RIP kit which John told me would give me about 2"-2.5" of lift, so 2" just might be enough.

BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
Not sure if they're still a favorite or not, but I was super impressed with the set of Cooper Discoverer AT/3's that I ran in size 245/75r16 on my non-lifted E250 for a couple years. Quiet, awesome (straight) tracking on the highway, and long-wearing. Got em in the rain/ice only several times but they were certainly sure-footed and confident.
I run the Cooper AT/3 tire on my van. They are definitely quiet and they handle very well. They get great reviews too. They're not the most aggressive tread for an AT, but they seem to perform well and the price is right.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:18 AM   #13

Have 66,000 on 305/70/16 KO2's
Attached Thumbnails
231.jpg  
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:34 AM   #14

re: 2wd tires

I just put a set of BFG KO2's on my 2001 non-4x4 E250. I also got new Mickey Thompson Deegan 38 Pro 4 wheels. I like the looks and I'm hoping I love the performance, but they are still brand new. I'm heading out next week and will be driving a bit off the pavement so time will tell. Here's a shot of how they look.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180622_175815.jpg  
YoTerryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:14 PM   #15

Thanks everyone for the input. I ended up getting the KO2s. The AT3s were very appealing, but with the rebate the KO2 ended up being only a little more.
jpau00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:23 PM   #16

Glad you did. I’ve had 3 sets now, on different vans. Latest was on my work van, a Transit T350. They were as quiet as highway tires until about 50k and I replaced at 65k with lots of life left, I was just tired of the noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJJ View Post
I run 285/75R16 on my 2wd E350. I had Agile put on their RIP kit which John told me would give me about 2"-2.5" of lift, so 2" just might be enough.
That's awesome, I was wondering if the RIP kit would work on a 2wd van. I may just go that direction! Did they change out I beams or radius arms, or was it just springs and shocks?
ibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:28 AM   #18

What size did you end up going with?

I've always read that 265/75/16 are the largest that will fit stock wheels and suspension. Though I've also read that you'll get a little bit of rub, too. How safe of a bet is it to go with that size?

I'm facing the same issue right now: looking at the BFG KO2 vs. Discoverer AT/3. Like jpau00 said, the deal at Discount Tire might make this an easier decision.

I also think that I'm looking at the same style of use as the OP. The vast majority of the mileage on these things is going to be highway miles. But I want to be capable/safe when it comes time to get off the road for camping or when we find ourselves on some of the sketchier dirt/gravel/mountain roads (weather hits, etc.).

I feel like based on what I've read, I won't be going "wrong" with either set. Obviously, the KO2's have achieved this "legendary" status. Is there any reason, other than cost, to consider something else?
STP821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 03:03 PM   #19

I went with the stock size. I have an older van a didn’t want to do anything to fancy right now. In a couple of years I’ll either get a new van or get a lift on this one. Then I’ll play around a bit.

Some posters mentioned they thought the AT3s were quieter and provided straighter handling on the highway.
jpau00 is offline   Reply With Quote