Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2020, 07:15 PM   #11

Ravensix, thank you! I’m excited to post more about it as I make more progress and make design changes along the way and in the future

Wisco150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:49 AM   #12

Ravensix thank you!

I printed the first panel in PETG filament material which will tolerate higher temperate and be more forgiving than PLA but somewhat easier than ABS to print. I modified my design slightly to allow the stainless bolts to be recessed for a more finished look.
Attached Thumbnails
05F4FADB-236C-4FBA-BFD2-354C747DCE92.jpg  
Old 07-18-2020, 11:02 AM   #13

Hi all, in case anyone happens to be following this, here’s a quick update. I finished printing 3 of the 15 small panels to create a modular door panel for one of the barn doors. It takes about 8 hours of print time per panel but I’m happy with the overall fit and finish. I put a quarter in one of the pictures for size reference.
Attached Thumbnails
706DCDB1-084A-4A2B-828C-E6FC51A4CB76.jpg   695ED561-B2A4-4672-A366-450FFB9474B1.jpg  
Old 07-18-2020, 02:52 PM   #14
Site Team

What a great idea, love to see this come together. I can't wait to see it all installed.

Herb
Old 07-19-2020, 08:05 AM   #15
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Another question, somewhat related but slightly off topic.

Is it practical from a for-profit POV to continue 3D printing these? Or is the idea to refine the design and have them produced in metal using a laser cutting service.

At 8 hours each seems the time required would be somewhat prohibitive---or am I just that impatient?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:53 PM   #16

Thank you for the comment Herb!

JWA on the printer I have, given the limited size I can print I would say it is not practical from the for-profit point of view. It’s somewhat time consuming to get each individual print started and since they’re will be 15 small panels making up a single larger panel that time adds up quickly. The overall cost of materials, in this case PETG and some hardware, is relatively low. This is my first real experience with 3D printing and my goal/plan is to come up with a. pattern door panels to water jet out of stainless and then design and use the 3D printer to make accessories and attachments for the panel to mount various gear/components,, a fold down shelf (the fold down shelf was suggested by another member here) to allow the panel to be as versatile and customizable as possible
Old 07-20-2020, 05:24 AM   #17
JWA

^^ Okay so I see how you're already ahead of me on this---I like the idea where your panels would be "modular" or able to be quickly customized to fit an end users needs.

Sprinter's and Transist's all have doors that might benefit from your creations---just sayin'.................
Old 07-20-2020, 08:30 AM   #18

JWA I’m definitely not opposed to working on a design for a Sprinter or Transit

I would be curious to get some members input on what their preferred material for the main panel (similar in design to the picture in my first post on this thread). The options I’ve considered are...

-Stainless steel
-Aluminum
-Painted or powder coated sheet metal
-Wood

Any input or suggestions appreciated
Old 07-21-2020, 07:34 AM   #19
JWA

Material-wise I'd suggest wood and one type of metal---give people too many choices and you'll make their buying choices a bit more difficult.

Wood would be nice because it's "softer" than metal and has a visual appeal. Metal would be equally great for its durability and to a small degree thickness, less than wood for the same relative strength. Some would prefer one over the other but if they're expressing interest in other materials and you're capable of doing short runs or one-off's that becomes a moot point what to offer.

Would hate to see you stock up on multiple choice materials and some just not sell.

Anyway that's my input, FWIW.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisco150 View Post
JWA I’m definitely not opposed to working on a design for a Sprinter or Transit

I would be curious to get some members input on what their preferred material for the main panel (similar in design to the picture in my first post on this thread). The options I’ve considered are...

-Stainless steel
-Aluminum
-Painted or powder coated sheet metal
-Wood

Any input or suggestions appreciated
Great idea and your progress is looking good!

As far as materials are concerned, any of the metals (depending on gauge) would be sufficient and could be mounted using standoffs to create some clearance behind the panel. Each have their pros/cons.

Stainless - Great corrosion resistance, doesn't need to be powder coated, strong however pricey

Aluminum - Great corrosion resistance when anodized or powder coated. Lightweight yet retains some strength (1/8" alum would be good for the panel). Cost is currently higher than SS.

Steel/PC - Cheapest option overall. Good strength and durability.

I'm sure you have shops close to you to waterjet/laser cut but if you don't and are interested in getting some parts cut and potentially go into production, shoot me a PM. I'm in Indiana and have laser capabilities.
mothgils is offline   Reply With Quote