Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2020, 11:32 AM   #1

3D printed door panel

Hi all, I thought I would post the little bit of progress I have made on a 3D printed door panel. I attached a picture the initial cad design I came up with along with a picture of the first actual printed test part. The intent is to have a panel that mounts to the interior of the 40 door of the 60/40 side door. Mounting the panel to 6 holes that are already in the door so no drilling required and using 1” 3D printed spacers to allow straps to be fed through behind the panel to mount various camping/climbing/mountain biking gear. My printer prints up to 8” by 8” so I have to print multiple smaller panels that will be assembled together using stainless hardware.
Attached Thumbnails
13373CCB-A054-4CA4-AF7C-A4BF31087BBB.jpg   F7D4AC05-41FC-4314-A69F-1C68BBF29F22.jpg  

Wisco150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:42 AM   #2

Garage
I think that's gonna turn out... cool
Old 06-12-2020, 01:29 PM   #3

Garage
Kind of like the fact you managed to create that so it lines up with the holes currently in place. I have the same concept in play, with a Mole support board (it works great, and very versatile - just need to cut the base, but still deciding how much to leave in place). Going to mount it in front of the two fold down door shelves located on each of my barn doors. Mine needs to allow for the panel to be easily removed for access to the storage behind those shelves.
Would have liked to design it myself as you have done, but never considered 3D printing - creative approach for sure.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:48 PM   #4

I was going to ask Mr Wisco150 if he considered a version that hinged at the bottom so it could double as a fold down shelf/mini table. Double duty is always great. I could see it being useful to sit gloves or helmet on while getting ready to roll on the MTB. Or hang the backpack drink bladder on when filling the bladder also when loading the pockets...that's always a pain doing it on the ground when nothings around, then your dragging the bite hose in the dirt.
2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 07:14 AM   #5

Steve C, thank you!

Twoxentrix, do you know what/how you are mounting your panel to make it easily removable? I was thinking I would mount mine with spacers to allow removal of any items that were strap/tied to it but I really like your idea to have the panel easily removable

Steve Hunt, I did not think of a fold down shelf/mini table but I really like your idea especially a place to fill the water bladder! I’m expecting to have multiple changes/versions by the time I’m done so I definitely will attempt to incorporate a fold down table/shelf
Old 06-13-2020, 08:15 AM   #6

Finished printing the second panel and connected the two panels using #8 stainless nuts and bolts. I definitely need to work on the fit and finish but this first test round is printed with PLA that I had and I plan on reprinting it in ABS plastic.
Attached Thumbnails
AF4FA26F-8211-4225-8CAA-82CD59D42CAB.jpg  
Old 06-13-2020, 10:51 AM   #7

Garage
Wisco150 - my goal was to make the panels easily removable, but also sturdy enough to weather the 15lbs of weight the PowerTank setup will contribute - plus It needs to be convenient to carry that Powertank kit to where ever I need.
I envisioned a 12” aluminum “L” bracket mounted on the bottom of the door (extending out 3/4”) with a 1/2” tall trough welded to it, so the bottom of the molle board rests inside that trough. Then two 3/8” bolts (sticking out 1” - to allow 1/2” for the door shelf, 1/4” for the board, and last 1/4” for a knob to screw onto) protruding out the door panel at each of the top corners - the molle board would slide onto those bolts and I would secure with a black knob on each side.
I Also plan to put one of the Poison Spyder grab handles on the top of the molle board so it’s easily carried.
Old 06-13-2020, 04:16 PM   #8
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Very, very cool project----genuinely looking forward to how it develops further. I'm impressed with the planning and engineering this takes.

Question about the material---I'm assuming the ABS will be far stronger and more durable than the PLA?
JWA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 05:15 AM   #9

Twoxentrix, I’d definitely be interested in seeing your project when it’s finished! I’m going to attempt to make my panel easily removable thanks to your first post

JWA thank you! As my project gets a little further along I will be sure to post my progress. The ABS will be stronger, more forgiving under stress/use and will withstand higher temperatures inside the vehicle if parked out in the hot sun all day.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:25 PM   #10

Modernizing and creating door panels that can be replaced as needs change is a great idea.

Def going to keep watching this one. thanks!
ravensix is offline   Reply With Quote