Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2014, 04:56 PM   #21

Re: 46 Transfer Flow Tank availability?

Hey TexGX,

Here is what I have:

On our 2002 7.3 Cargo, the bottom of the Aerotank tank, which includes a built in skid plate, is 5.75" below the bottom of the frame rail. It sits an inch lower than the TF46 gal tank (which has no skid plate) we have in our 2003 15 Pass V10 (yes, I have been hanging around rallypanam and have caught multivanitis ).

That all being said, here are some additional important data points:
1. I have never been able to fill my 46 Gal TF tank with more than 41 gals of gas even when I was starting to suck air. So, a 46 gal TF is not really anywhere close to 46 gal for me, although some have made mods to the venting tube to allow more fill.
2. Ramsey installed the same exact "45" Gal AeroTank unit in one of his rigs (he is also afflicted with the same disease) as my wife and I have, He put 1.5 gals in the tank and went to the gas station about 1 mile away. He put another 49 gals in the tank. So, the capacity is a true 45+ gals as currently configured.
3. Eye balling it, the bottom of the Aerotank unit sits about 1/2" higher than the bottom of the muffler on the passenger side.

My take is, if clearance is an issue, ask Jake to raise the bottom of the 45 gal (really 49+) tank by a few inches and he can recalc the capacity. With the efficiency of the diesel, even 41 to 43 gals x 15 mpg is over 600 miles of range.

Let me know if you need any other info, pics or measurements. Jake knows his stuff.

Ray

Old 12-17-2014, 05:33 PM   #22

Garage

Thanks. I will give them a call when ready to pull the trigger. Sure would beat my 28 gallon one on it now.

TexGX
2006 Casita (Makes it a three bedroom 1 and 1/2 bath)
TexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:27 AM   #23

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

As Ray just indicated, I put 49.5 gallons in a new 45 gallon Aero Tank. It was so nice having the extended range on this last trip down to Cabo.

When we modify a stock tank we cut off 1.5 gallons on 5.4L vans and 4.5 gallons on V10's and diesels from the stock 34-35 gallon tank

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:34 AM   #24

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
As Ray just indicated, I put 49.5 gallons in a new 45 gallon Aero Tank. It was so nice having the extended range on this last trip down to Cabo.

When we modify a stock tank we cut off 1.5 gallons on 5.4L vans and 4.5 gallons on V10's and diesels from the stock 34-35 gallon tank
Please PM the cost to install in my 2008 Ford E350 eb50 diesel with Advanced 4WD 4x4 conversion and Sportsmobile eB50 full fit out, penthouse & propane cooktop, hot water & heating with under body tank. Would I still be able to put in rear Titan sub tank where spare tire fits as well?

Thank You.
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:55 AM   #25

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der
That all being said, here are some additional important data points:
1. I have never been able to fill my 46 Gal TF tank with more than 41 gals of gas even when I was starting to suck air. So, a 46 gal TF is not really anywhere close to 46 gal for me, although some have made mods to the venting tube to allow more fill.
i think ive got 40 into mine before, but typically i can only squeeze 39...and thats standing there for an eternity after the first auto shutoff. i was hoping that meant i had a 5-6g reserve, doesnt sound like thats the case though

when people made said mods to their tf tank vents, did that allow them to get the full 46g into the tank?

these areotanks sounds like a good setup. another 10g would be a nice option.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:54 AM   #26

Shenrie, read this one (you do not need a new tank. A vent mod should get you a few more gallons. Of course you will have to drop the tank to do the mod , or do like vwman did with Hal the Van, and figure out exactly where to cut a hole in your floor above the fuel tank!

link : viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1935&hilit=Transferflow+46&st art=15

somewhere around mid page two. There is also a detailed posting with pics about the exact mod that needs to be done. Just not sure where that is, but it is around. Quite a number of posts about modifying the vent tube. Search for harpooning and 46 gal Transferflow on this forum.

Ray
Old 12-18-2014, 09:40 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexGX
1der,

How muck lower does the tank sit then the original? I am thinking of getting new tank and want to make sure it does not impact clearance. I would like to increase capacity over the cut tank. I have a 2003 7.3 Quigley, so Ujoint's will not work for me so it seems Aerotank is the only game in town.

TexGX
I'm frustrated. I typed out a long response with pics and info yesterday and obviously hit preview instead of send, because it didn't show. Anyway, here are some pics of my Aerotanks and how it sits. They modified mine to be used for my gas van and were very helpful. I get a true 45 gallons but no more if I try but at the first pump cutoff I'm usually at about 41. If I go to 45 with mine I get lots of gasoline smell for awhile since it gets up in the vent system. Those are Aluminess nerf bars and the tank hangs down about an inch below, but no lower than my cross member, tx case or battery box. Also, I got the built in skid plate.

WhitH also has some pics and info on Aerotanks floating around if you want to search.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:19 PM   #28

Garage

86Scotty,

Thanks for the pics. I now need to go to the under Christmas tree tread and add an aerotank.

TexGX
2006 Casita (Makes it a three bedroom 1 and 1/2 bath)
TexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 06:45 AM   #29

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der
Shenrie, read this one (you do not need a new tank. A vent mod should get you a few more gallons. Of course you will have to drop the tank to do the mod , or do like vwman did with Hal the Van, and figure out exactly where to cut a hole in your floor above the fuel tank!
ive made access holes in cars before for the same reason, but i need to drop the tank (i assume) anyway for our espar install. so ill see if i can find the thread with pix before and do both at the same time. either way, i appreciate the reply ray!

oh and i wasnt going to replace the tf tank. it works just fine for us, even if i cant currently fill it to capacity. the skidplate and overall capacity of the areotank is quite appealing, but the cost of that tank would go a long ways on other van projects

...and damn those aliminess nerf bars are rad looking. i dont even wanna go look and see how much those badboys cost
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:10 AM   #30

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
...and damn those aliminess nerf bars are rad looking. i dont even wanna go look and see how much those badboys cost
I think they are one of the best values from Aluminess at $495.00 for the pair.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote