Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2014, 08:42 AM   #11

Re: 4x4 Shifter Hole???

That's the main spot on ours too. Pulling the seal back in many locations just reiterated that it's time to get it redone. It pours almost everyday here during the summer so a leak makes a river in no time.

-John

Old 08-11-2014, 09:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnandMandi
I read on another topic that the water could be coming from the windshield but only if the front end was lower
Weird! But I live on a hill so the front end was always higher than the rear, plus we don't get rain like Florida (well, recently, we just don't get rain).

Quote:
An appointment is set to have the windshield either resealed or replaced.
As long is it's not cracked they can remove it and reinstall with new sealer. Don't know prices out there but my guy our here would do it for less than $100.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:25 AM   #13

Yeah, if I didn't read that thread it would have taken a lot longer to find it. Our driveway slopes towards the house then back up just before getting to it. When pulled straight in I normally park pretty close so the rear is lower. I usually back in but stay a good bit away from the house so the rear happens to be lower then too. It may be subconscious as I've never kept a camper level, for obvious reasons, and I always sloped them so that water ran off of the back.

We're getting the liability of fixing it vs replacing it song and dance. We'll decide when we get it in. Some have lifetime owner warranties so if it's not that much different we may just replace it.

Afternoon downpours are pretty much an everyday occurrence in summer here. The storms roll in off of the Gulf. It's really a pain when trying to build out a van. We don't have a garage so the carport is our main work area. Depending on wind direction sometimes we are brought to a halt. It was nice to remember what 79 degrees felt like yesterday just before and after our down pour.

If it isn't the heat it's the mosquitoes, mostly both, then the afternoon shower that cools it off before making it almost unbearably muggy. Ahh, the Southeast.

-John
Old 08-11-2014, 10:31 AM   #14

Quote:
If it isn't the heat it's the mosquitoes, mostly both, then the afternoon shower that cools it off before making it almost unbearably muggy. Ahh, the Southeast.
You do a great job of selling it!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:50 AM   #15

I know! You haven't lived until you've experienced what it's like to sweat to the point the mosquitoes drown before they can bite.

When we're done with our trip we'll most likely end up on the West coast. If we return to the East then we're shooting for no lower than NC, probably no higher either. There are "nicer" places further South in Florida that have an ocean breeze that makes a significant difference. The PNW is at the top of our US list so far, small Caribbean island if we got to choose anywhere. Shipping and importing the van could be prohibitive though. Our ideal is where forested mountains collide with an ocean, having access to both is a totally acceptable second. Honestly, having fresh water Mandi will actually swim in - scared of Alligators and such - would be a great start.

-John
Old 08-11-2014, 11:26 AM   #16
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Our windshield has a few leaks that need to be addressed as well. After a rain, coming to a stop, the passenger(usually my wife) gets a lap full, there's another mystery leak that leaves the drivers side floor under my rubber mats soaked. I too have an open shifter hole, but don't think it comes from there, it happens when it rains or I wash the rig, about time I get it fixed...
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:14 AM   #17
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Guys and Gals I'm actually in the vehicle glass/windshield biz so can lend some help in this area concerning E-Series..........

Typically an OEM installed or replacement W/S's, when installed correctly don't leak nor do they suddenly develop a leak after a while. The nature of the installation method is behind this.

IF they do seem to begin leaking especially from the top its typically because there are body seams in the upper outside corners of the windshield opening that separate slightly. Often times this begins below the visible exterior; despite the W/S still being leak-free the body itself is the culprit.

I owned a van that leaked badly enough over its life the front floors under the OEM mat and padding rusted through. The actual leak was upper right side (busted body seam), water running down that A-Pillar under the interior trim and below the dashboard along the foot well behind the side trim panels. Where the inside body structure meets the floor pan the water would collect and be absorbed by the OEM mat's padding. This kept water in almost constant contact with the sheet metal. The worst part there were no signs of any leaks without removing interior trim panels.

Most times there are no real quick fixes for these sorts of leaks, replacing the windshield doesn't always solve this problem either. It takes an installer with experience to know what else to check besides just plopping in a new part and collecting his bill. Trust me here---I own vans AND install windshields too!

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:57 AM   #18

Should I point out the body seams to the repair person? Making it to Ohio to have you give it a go is not an option at this point. When we found the puddle in front of the driver's seat we had almost all of the floor trim removed since we were planning the vinyl mat re-do.

-John
Old 08-12-2014, 08:38 AM   #19

JWA: Is it possible/straightforward to lift up the windshield rubber at the upper body seams and inspect?

.......or can this separation only be seen when the windshield is removed?
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:01 AM   #20
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

John: Since you're in-process of your build I'd remove any accessible trim panels up front and look for leaks yourself. Once those are spotted or located they're somewhat easy to repair without enlisting a W/S technician, a DIY operation. Attempting to seal a leaking W/S or the surrounding "frame" (pinchweld in glassman's jargon ) from the outside is at best difficult, more often than not pretty much worthless.

If you guys need or want the best method to determine how to find the source of your leaks I can write something up. It can be a one person job but a second hand never hurts.

BoyWonder: It is 50/50 whether the upper body seams can be fully inspected by raising the windshield molding. The actual glass of the W/S pretty much fills the opening and as such the seam could be separated where its not visible from outside. The only real sure test shy of pulling the W/S, looking around and making repairs as needed is the water test.

On another note: While its possible to successfully remove an existing W/S without it breaking its very much a long shot; no honest glass shop will guarantee this. W/S's are prone to aging which affects their strength, the pressures applied as part of the removal process can break them, the older it is the more likely this is to happen.

Also most glass shop technician's are in a big rush to start and finish a job so you being present and asking them to pause for most any reason isn't part of their daily schedule. IF a body leak is present and after several attempts to DIY reseal it don't work its time to at least consider a new W/S. In this situation you'd negotiate to have them remove the windshield and install a new one after you've dealt with the body leaks. Most shops might have a small charge for this as a two operation job but if that can be rolled into the complete price it would be fair to all.

As for quality I'd avoid at all costs the brand Safelite jams on customers, their "SGC" brand. Truth is that stuff is complete crap to the point their better installers almost always refuse to use it. Its cheap for Safelite however if you're attracted to their "lifetime, nationwide warranty" go for it-----its not the worst policy for those not in the glass biz.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote