Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2014, 07:59 PM   #31

Re: 4x4 Shifter Hole???

John....
Can you tell me which front compartment vinyl floor you went with? I have carpet and I want to replace it with vinyl. It's just too much of a pain to keep clean, especially with a dog. I saw that FamVans sells them when they are in stock for $300 for a used one. That seems a bit high to me.
Randall

Old 12-08-2014, 06:17 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallDee
John....
Can you tell me which front compartment vinyl floor you went with? I have carpet and I want to replace it with vinyl. It's just too much of a pain to keep clean, especially with a dog. I saw that FamVans sells them when they are in stock for $300 for a used one. That seems a bit high to me.
Randall
Hey Randall, We bought a brand new OEM one from Ford, it was just shy of 200 shipped to our local dealer for pick-up. We also removed the matting that was attached to it and made our own out of EZ-Cool. That may not be necessary but we didn't want any absorptive surface under the vinyl and directly on the floor.

-John
Old 12-08-2014, 07:52 AM   #33

Thanks John, that's good to know.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:45 AM   #34
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnandMandi

Hey Randall, We bought a brand new OEM one from Ford, it was just shy of 200 shipped to our local dealer for pick-up. We also removed the matting that was attached to it and made our own out of EZ-Cool. That may not be necessary but we didn't want any absorptive surface under the vinyl and directly on the floor.

-John
This is very important regardless what material is used as any sort of mat against the steel floors of our vans. When they sweat---and they do---it seems to be immediately absorbed by the factory-type padding and never leaves.

My newest used van had this problem, big time. When I first inspected it pre-sale the mat was absolutely through and through. Flipping the mat upside down but still inside it was a week later before I actually brought it home, mat still very very wet.

Laying the mat outside during a very dry period it was another 5 days before it was completely dry. FWIW most of those days were in mostly direct sun.

Oddly enough that very same mat has been rolled up on my front porch for the past almost 3 years and has NOT absorbed that much moisture ever again--and I live in a full 4 season climate. Being trapped inside a van they seem to hold moisture almost as well as a closed container will.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:15 AM   #35

Our old one was soaked when we pulled it out. We had it out in the sun for a couple of days, no real change. If our vinyl didn't have a bunch of micro tears and purposeful slits for different wiring access we would have probably tried to salvage it. Almost fourteen years of service, it did it's job so we opted for a new one. Installed it, worried about that matting, removed it and made our own padding out of EZ-Cool. We've since checked it twice and everything is dry.

-John