Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #11

Re: 4x4 Tour's Sportsmobile Build: Interior

You know if fabbing isn't an issue, and you've got ground clearance, why not the ebay tank on a drop rail system so it slides down to fill? Although I'd think just doing a door would be easiest now and in the long run... every time you fill, turn on the gas, turn off the gas, check the tank level...

If it slides down or is on a swing out the propane line needs to move/be flexible. I don't know, seems like so much effort to get around an existing solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4tour

Old 04-14-2011, 01:34 PM   #12

Now there's an idea. Just like Rockbender's slide-down battery setup. Getting under the beast makes no nevermind, since it has a 6" lift on 305's. lol The more reasons to have to under the van, gives me more opportunities to grease the driveline.

How are the doors made? Are they bolt/weld in premade units?
Old 04-14-2011, 02:07 PM   #13

Just remember that the slide down system is patent pending and subject to a six pack royalty fee

So, the slide down system might be cool if you had two small tanks on quick releases so that you could always have a full tank to swap out in your garage without having to hassle doing it at the service station.

For simplicities sake the access door might be your best option if you don't mind cutting a hole in the side of your van. The doors I've seen are a flange kit - I'll bet it would take all of 30 minutes to lay it out, cut the hole, and run down the screws.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:41 PM   #14

Edited....
Old 05-03-2011, 08:21 AM   #15

Looks really good. What is the unit in the bottom? That paint is pretty neat.

As far as the propane tank, i'm not sure why you can't hard mount one with the fill points hanging just below the body. the bottom of your van body is probably 16" off the ground, right? It's not like you're worried about dragging it on a speed bump or rock on the road, unless you're doing serious off-road trails.

Several of those tanks you linked to have "low" valve access so that the tank can be mounted as high as possible while still having access to the fill point and valve. That's the sort of tank my Vanagon had and it worked great. I hate hatches in the body. Not so much because they're scary to cut, but because they're just ugly when done. Especially if you're going to have to have vents for fridge, furnace, etc as well. I definitely like the idea of minimizing the amount of holes and covers on the side of the van.

If every inch of ground clearance is critical, then a drop-down system would make sense. I doubt it's that critical with your lift and tires though.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:46 AM   #16

The unit at bottom, is actually the top. Its the Sunsaver MPPT solar controller. After looking at it, Im going to find a black AC outlet, to match better.

Thanks for the LP help. Just measured, and I have 24" from the ground to the body lip. My main concern is getting the RIGHT ONE. I was dreading installing a tank door, mainly, because I cant find one onlne...lol Which EXACT tank would you recommend? The 10x23 size?

Im using a slideout Engel freezer, which runs without vents, and Ive been using a little buddy catylitic heater for years. I plan on doing a mount system for the little buddy utlilyzing a swing-arm that doubles as the heater holder and a holder for my HP DV-7 laptop/ATSC digital tv.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #17

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4tour
...Which EXACT tank would you recommend? The 10x23 size?

Im using a slideout Engel freezer, which runs without vents, and Ive been using a little buddy catylitic heater for years. I plan on doing a mount system for the little buddy utlilyzing a swing-arm that doubles as the heater holder and a holder for my HP DV-7 laptop/ATSC digital tv.
If your only propane use is the little buddy and maybe a cooktop, the smallest size tank should work, like the 3 gallon ones used on the VW's. They are only about 6 or 8 inches in diameter.

We had the 10x23 (7 gallon) one with a furnace and propane refrigerator. It would last us at least 3 days camped at a ski area in the winter running full time. In the summer with just the refrigerator it would last over a week.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:56 PM   #18

Check your gadgets in those power ports before installing, they look like the West Marine ones I bought that were too big.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2713
Old 05-04-2011, 07:54 PM   #19

Will check...

I installed the Blue sea 7622 today.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:54 AM   #20

Replaced the West marine outlets with regular ones.