Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2014, 03:36 PM   #41

Re: 7.3 Instrument Cluster Tachometer

I was really salivating over the thought of a costume, digital dash. So I called the site you suggested. No, they don't have a packaged cluster that fits my 1999.5 E350.

However, they will make one that fits exactly and includes a module for the 7.3 diesel application. I have to send in my cluster and they'll take it from there. I'm ready to do it except for one minor problem: I need one or more of you to donate the $1,250.00 it costs. I'll pay the shipping myself.

Consider it a donation to our cause to equip the 7.3 vans the correct way they should have been equipped!

Old 03-06-2014, 04:38 AM   #42
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTex
I need one or more of you to donate the $1,250.00 it costs. I'll pay the shipping myself.
You're truly a generous man!

Quote:
Consider it a donation to our cause to equip the 7.3 vans the correct way they should have been equipped!
I figured someone was willing and had the capability to do this----not really too shocked at the price though. IF there was really sufficient interest in this swap AND it were a sellable idea perhaps one could be farmed out and reverse engineered? A small cost per modification enough times could defray that charge----just thinking out loud at the moment, don't really believe that's the route I'd go however.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:06 PM   #43

Quote:
I was really salivating over the thought of a costume, digital dash. So I called the site you suggested. No, they don't have a packaged cluster that fits my 1999.5 E350.

However, they will make one that fits exactly and includes a module for the 7.3 diesel application. I have to send in my cluster and they'll take it from there. I'm ready to do it except for one minor problem: I need one or more of you to donate the $1,250.00 it costs. I'll pay the shipping myself.

They only want $1250 for a custom dash with everything you want? That is actually pretty reasonable considering the scope of the project...
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:20 PM   #44
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks
Quote:

They only want $1250 for a custom dash with everything you want? That is actually pretty reasonable considering the scope of the project...
Agree, especially considering their stock units go for $800-$1000. I've never liked digital gauge displays, but Dakota has some that are very slick.

Herb
Old 03-06-2014, 03:12 PM   #45

I was browsing their stuff a few days ago, and figured I could use one of the Universal clusters and fabricate a mounting blank to replace the existing cluster. Didn't even think of asking if they'd custom fit one.

For that price, a full custom one would be the way to go. Hmmm. Sure would modernize the dash quite a bit! Plus being able to reprogram for tire size and gear ratio changes, without having to pay Ford, would subsidize some of that expense.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:47 PM   #46

I was being tongue-in-cheek because I never thought anyone would actually consider paying that. Therefore, I may have you young lads astray. $1,100 only gets you speed, tach, fuel, water temp, oil pressure, and voltmeter, that is, the usual suspects. To get specialty gauges would add to the cost. The other $150 was something to do with being a diesel.

If you want an ultimate digital dash, look up Silver Leaf on the web. You not only get almost unlimited gauges, you get multiple screens. I donno if they'd build one for us lowly van drivers, but when you use your spare change to get your Newell, Prevost, or Foretravel you will be staring at a Silver Leaf.

As soon as I get the wiring locations put in a spread sheet I can read easier, and after I get into my central junction box and find the 3 tach-related wires that are supposed to be there, I'll be ordering a plain ol' F series cluster.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:11 AM   #47

Shenrie, I've been through my 1999 Econoline Wiring book stem to stern and can't find the wires we need to add to Connector A: Tach Select 1, Tach Select 2, and Tach Input. I notice you didn't hook up Tach Select 1; any reason why?

I looked at the diagram for all 103 pins coming through my Central Junction Box and can't find any that seem to be tach related. I presumed the tach wires would be in the wire bundle coming from the Vehicle Speed Sensor on the transmission. If that's true, my manual did not show them.

I saw that Ford numbered the two F 250 tach wires you did hook up Circuits 648 and 397; but I couldn't find those numbers coming thru the Central Junction Box.

I looked at every diagram I could see regarding the Powertrain Control Module and found nothing named tach. I found some vehicle speed stuff, but no tach. [FYI to everyone: there is no Engine Control Module or Unit (ECM/U) on these 7.3 vans, only a PCM, at least per the Wiring manual].

So, please point me to where I can find the tach wires that are buried in our vans but just not hooked up by Ford. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:22 AM   #48

on mine “01 there is a "CTO" labeled wire under the hood near the engine oil cap. I guess that is the wire to go to the cluster for tach???

see here, sorry the CTO wire is the white one. You can not see the label on this pic.
BTW what is the 4x4 wire for???

Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0010.jpg  
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:25 AM   #49
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:

I looked at every diagram I could see regarding the Powertrain Control Module and found nothing named tach. I found some vehicle speed stuff, but no tach. [FYI to everyone: there is no Engine Control Module or Unit (ECM/U) on these 7.3 vans, only a PCM, at least per the Wiring manual].
I believe ECM and PCM are interchangeable terms, at least as it relates to the brain or computer which controls the power train. ECM is Electronic Control Module, PCM is Powertrain Control Module.

If I'm mistaken someone please correct me!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:44 PM   #50

There are 2 pins in a connector on the back of an '01 F series for 4x4: One to tell the driver it is engaged, the other is to tell the driver he's in low range. On a 2WD pickup those pins are just not used. What you found was one (at least) of those wires. I'm curious if both 4x4 wires are there, just bundled up.

We need 3 tach wires. I wonder if all 3 are bundled in what you're seeing labled CTO?

Some body wake Shenrie up so he can answer the mystery of the missing tach wires!