Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2014, 07:37 PM   #51

Re: 7.3 Instrument Cluster Tachometer

JCTex: Me and the other peanuts in the gallery are rooting for you. Go for it buddy!

2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:51 PM   #52

Hey guys, just wanted to chime in and share how I was able to swap over instrument clusters.

My van is an early 1999 E-350 7.3. The Instrument cluster I used was out of 2001 Excursion 7.3. I was told the Excursions are different then the F-series clusters but I never confirmed that.

My Van has the elusive "CTO" wire, and I was told all the 7.3 vans have this wire, not sure about the non diesel. It is a small 18 gauge white wire marked "CTO" in the wiring harness located behind plastic sheathing on the drivers firewall just below the windshield. It is just below the drivers side Air cleaner bracket bolt. I looks like the wire originates in the PCM which would make sense.

I pulled the wiring harness schematics for the Excursion, and the van, and had to move a few of the pins around. It took a little work, and there were many options on the Excursion that the van did not have, so many of the Excursion cluster functions were simply not needed but all the van functions matched up, I even hooked the 4WD light to my transfer case switch, pretty cool. And I wired the CTO into the tach input pin on the new cluster, worked great. My low fuel light even works, and the van never had a low fuel light...not sure how the heck that happened.

The only problem was the Anti Lock brakes light would not turn off, even though it was wired correctly. The anti lock brakes are working properly so i just took the bulb out of the cluster.

Also, the cluster was not a perfect fit, and I had to cut of one the tabs to get it in...not a big deal.
Hope this helps!
3677chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:52 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3677chris
I was told the Excursions are different then the F-series clusters but I never confirmed that.
on my cluster (built in 10/99) there is a label which told the part number and in text "F250, F350...Excursion"
So I think the clusters are always the same.
What i am missing at mine is a 4x4 and low range bilb....so i think i unfortunatly bought an 2WD cluster
But it was perfect for me as it was a NOS and it has an km/h gauge. I plan to built in some extra bulbs for 4WD and Low range.
What i need for this is the plug for the switch on my NV271 gearbox....i am afraid it is not easy to get here in germany
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:32 AM   #54

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTex
Some body wake Shenrie up so he can answer the mystery of the missing tach wires!
sorry guys. i actually had to work at work yesterday. i saw the question and started typing up an answer 2-3 times, but got interupted each time. right before i got off, i got a call that my help was needed at the shop i use to move a lift to make room for a dyno. since i was there and conveniently had all the supplies we needed in the van, i talked them into a project and was there till late, came home and crashed.

like a few others have chimed in, theres a wire as described with the cto label on the firewall. i had previously gone to a salvage yard and found a donor expedition cause i wanted the wire colors correct at the plug, so i depinned a few wires in the right colors and cut them back as far in the harness as i cold and cut them. i located those two wires on the firewall. the cto wire label was really hard to read, but it was there. i also followed the wires that quigley installed for the 4x4 led and they went right to that same area as the others have described. i soldiered the wires i got from the salvage yard and plugged them into the correct spot on the plug. the tach wire worked first try, but the first guess on the 4x4 light didnt work. swapped with the other wire from led and it lit right up in the cluster.

i know theres a few tach options, but i only used the one cto lead. this was info that member adventrer (sp?) had provided me right after he did the swap. he told me he would send me specifics, but he ended up selling his van and never got back to me. it also took him 2 tried to get the cc light to work, but couldnt tell me which was which when he was still responding. obviously, my first guess was wrong and i just havent had the time to tear it all back apart again.

also, like 3677chris mentioned, a tab on the cluster didnt match. i did the same thing and trimmed that tab, used the other 3 screws and called it good.

and yes jwa, theres a ton if different names for ecu's and pcm is one of them.

hopefully i got all the questions answered. if not just post up. i have our first rallyx today, so i wont be around today, but ill try and check in afterwards.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:05 PM   #55

Okay, thanks. Unless I find more unattached wires hidden in the bundle, I'm going to ignore the inputs for "Tach Select 1" and "Tach Select 2". Shenrie's diagrams seemed to indicate he put a wire in Tach Select 2, but unless he remembers where he got the wire to put there, I'm going to assume that was a mistake. Apparently, in a real tach-equipped truck, Ford has the PCS tell the tach something we may never know. I don't care as long as the tach works and is accurate.

We'll find out if I get to join the club later in March when we pull the dash and get into the under hood harnesses. Will keep you informed.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:50 PM   #56

News out of my garage...
Most important
I have an 2001 E350 7.3 and swaped to an cluster built in 99 for F250 and Excursion (part nr on the rear panel XC3F-10848-AA)
i swaped the cluster and had several problems.
I also had to cut one of the tabs to get it in no big deal.

Than i took shenrie´s wire diagram from the F250 and changed all wires like he described. The gauges worked than but the bulbs worked wrong so i checked and registrated that the wire diagram from shenrie does not match to my instrument.
Maybe there are existing different clusters????
So here is what i ended with:
First number is plug code and pin in OEM E350 and the second is where it was before!

means: is now > was in pin

plug "A" (white 16 pin)

A1 > A2
A2 > without
A3 > A3
A4 > without
A5 > A5
A6 > A6
A7 > A7
A8 > Took the CTO from the firewall with a "T" to it (this is tach select 1, normaly no need of it)
A9 > A9
A10 > A10
A11 > A11
A12 > Took the CTO from the firewall
A13 > without
A14 > A14
A15 > NO
A16 > A16

plug "B" (black 12 pin)

B1 > without
B2 > B11
B3 > B12
B4 > B8 ("ABS trailer" instead "ABS")
B5 > B7
B6 > without
B7 > B5
B8 > without
B9 > C6
B10 > B9
B11 > without
B12 > A1

plug "C" (white 12 pin)

C1 > without
C2 > without
C3 > without
C4 > without
C5 > without
C6 > C5 !!!!!airbag > range inhibit!!!!
C7 > C7
C8 > without
C9 > without
C10 > C4
C11 > without
C12 > C12

C1, C2 and C3 (saftey belt buckle) wires are out. No need of them anymore.

All works perfect now but the tach (see at the end). Also the anti lock brake bulb function i have. But I had to connect the wire to the Anti lock brake - trailer bulb and took out the ABS (normal one) bulb of my cluster. The normal one is wired up with electronic stuff to other funktions that are not needed in the van. So i think this solution is best. And for me it does no matter. If something in the system is wrong now the ABS trailer bulb is shining.

My new cluster also does not have an airbag warning bulb. No idea why? I took for this the "range inhibit" bulb. The van does not have this warning, so it also is OK for me. I will write it down for remember ;-)

Now to my problem. My tach is working but it is to slow. It shows me half of the rpm it should. It went a little bit up as soon i also connect it with the "T" to "tach select 1" but it does not help much. I have no idea what is going wrong!?!
I have also a scan tool in the van and this show me the right rpm.
Do you guys have an idea to help me

sorry for the bad pic

i swaped from a mph to a kph cluster. I had no chance up to now to test it on the road. Hope the speedo will work properly
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP2285.jpg   IMGP2283.jpg   IMGP2278.jpg  
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:39 AM   #57

Cool!

(Was watching Moon.)
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:47 AM   #58
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Wow---nice write-up Schluchtenflitzer----something for the rest of us to at least begin building upon---thanks!

As an aside, not meaning to derail this quest for Moby Dick here's an alternative I've looked into but decided against. Its the Autometer #15004 for 52mm (2 1/16") gauges--this is just a cover that snaps onto the existing E- or F-Series steering column shrouds.

With my tilt wheel adjusted to suit me dashboard view isn't obstructed too much. Keep in mind I'm 5' 6" so a taller driver might have a different view, more suitable with this in place.

This is just an alternative IF a dedicated analog-type traditional tach is desired. Cost is about $40 average. Installation is super simple, doesn't require removing the column shroud unless you're seeking a more permanent mounting.
JWA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:56 AM   #59

I had the same issue with my tach at half speed...i cant remember exactly ("mid"zheimers is setting in!), but i think there were more that one Tach input pins on the new cluster....if this is the case, try to use one of the other pins. I eventually got mine to work.

Good luck!
3677chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:25 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by schluchtenflitzer
News out of my garage...
Most important
I have an 2001 E350 7.3 and swaped to an cluster built in 99 for F250 and Excursion (part nr on the rear panel XC3F-10848-AA)
i swaped the cluster and had several problems.
Not sure about the P/N, but the fact the new cluster has a "Range Inhibit" light and "Trailer ABS" light means it is from an F650/750 with the Allison Transmission and Tractor-trailer prep package. So that's why the diagrams don't match up and it doesn't have an airbag bulb.

RPM probably don't match because the F650/750 usually were ordered with the Cummins 5.9L or the CAT C7. The 7.3L was an option but I've never seen one in the wild. There is probably a way to program the PSOM (programable speedometer odometer module) for a different pulse count from the tach to read properly, but that would require a dealer visit.