Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2014, 10:37 AM   #61

Re: 7.3 Instrument Cluster Tachometer

Brothers on the FTE (ford-trucks.com) 7.3L forum state that AutoEnginuity will correct odometer for larger tires. Would it also correct tach? You may want to email AE. (I think you and I and other 7.3L owners will also eventually be owners of AE with the Ford Bundle.)

2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:11 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3677chris
I had the same issue with my tach at half speed...i cant remember exactly ("mid"zheimers is setting in!), but i think there were more that one Tach input pins on the new cluster....if this is the case, try to use one of the other pins. I eventually got mine to work.

Good luck!
This i also tried, unfortunatly it does not help
I am in discussion with the seller because i am with carringb that the cluster is not for the F250/Excursion.
As i am located in germany it will be difficult to find someone who can calibrate this tach correct.
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:19 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
Brothers on the FTE (ford-trucks.com) 7.3L forum state that AutoEnginuity will correct odometer for larger tires. Would it also correct tach? You may want to email AE. (I think you and I and other 7.3L owners will also eventually be owners of AE with the Ford Bundle.)

i took in this ERT
http://www.abbott-tach.com/ERA.html

The tach shows me 1000rpm while the scan gauge show me 1800rpm. So i choose ratio 1.8:1 but it does not help...tach does not work than.

I am stuck.....
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:49 AM   #64

Maybe mgmetalworks' Arduino can modify the input into the tach to make it accurate? Hopefully he will be along to give his advice...

Is the problem that your new instrument cluster took its signal from a tone ring on the rear differential and your van provides rpm info from a different type tone ring on the transfer case output shaft? Or is it that the PCMs between the two vehicles are different? Or is it merely a difference between model years?
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:13 AM   #65
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Resurrecting this ancient thread just to say I've done this----successfully at that! My project consisted of an F250 cluster model year from '99-01 fitted into an '03 E250 5.4 gas 2WD chassis. I many respects this is not a hard swap but of course that statement is highly dependent on your own skill level and experience working with or re-configuring Ford's OEM electrical connectors.

The post by Schluchtenflitzer where he shows a before and after connector configuration is essentially what I did but being a bit anal or too prone to overthinking things I went a bit further with reviewing Ford EVTM drawings, modifying them with colored markings to better demonstrate what needs to move and to where.

Generally my "method" could apply to model years '97 thru '03 which was the last year E-Series did not have a tach in the cluster. Those years also used the DC servo motor types of odometer and trip meter which is another feature seamlessly integrated via this swap.

I did discover when swapping clusters, at least in my case it was mostly a matter of unplugging the original and simply replacing the F-Series---every important function of drive train control and monitored engine conditions worked perfectly. This included the speedo and odo, engine temp, oil pressure, battery/alternator voltage, fuel level as well as turn signals, 4 way flashers and even the H/L on/Key In Ignition reminder buzzer too. These were my biggest concern going in so this revelation did a lot to ease anxiety for this project

With a bit of moving a few wires between the stock cluster connectors and adding two (for Tach Select 1 and its ground wire) every other important monitored condition or situation could now be seen in the cluster display. This included things like Low Battery/Low oil pressure, Engine Over Temperature, Low Fuel, MIL status. ABS Status, Parking Brake/Brake Fluid Level Warning, Fasten Seat Belts, SRS Faults, High Beam all worked without any issues. It should be noted there are a few minor modifications to the F-Series cluster housing and the E-Series dash where the cluster sits---very minor in fact.

On a 260 mile round trip with an Actron scanner configured to show live data the tach output and speedo reports from the PCM were very accurate. While I can't be sure at this moment if the actual ground speed compares favorably with the speedo indication its still good knowing all signals were in agreement with the VSS's output.

I did gain a huge insight into how this swap could be done on other models, years, engine types etc even to the point 4WD and Hi/Lo Range could be added to the cluster IF those signals were/are present from an aftermarket upfitter. I'm assuming Quigley, et al use or have available sensors or connections allowing that sort of interfacing.

For illustration purposes only, to demonstrate the "how to" of my process images of various stages could be posted along with notes etc for those looking to maybe dive into this sort of swap. If there's enough interest we'd create a separate thread.

So anyway The Great White Whale CAN be tamed but only by the brave and unafraid.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote