Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2014, 07:29 AM   #41

Re: 78 Ford 4x4 First Time Build For Pan American Trip

My thought was you could still use bins, but if the entire area was enclosed in metal (or even wood) the entire space would serve as a vault. Would add some weight to be sure, but you could use relatively thin sheet metal on the top and sides, with a heavier front door and lock.

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:25 AM   #42

I've seen aluminum truck boxes, those without wheel well cut outs, bolted in Overland vehicles. If one fits, that could be used. You could mount it on it's side so when it's slid out the lid could fold down to make a table. A pair of fold down legs might be needed to properly handle the weight. Making it full extension could be tricky, a double door box instead? An overland chuck box, might be marketable.

-John
Old 10-31-2014, 12:41 PM   #43

@JohnandMandi, we are planning to head south around March so unfortunately we'll probably miss the Expo.

All good advice on the vault/lockbox stuff. I definitely plan to make at least sections of it fully secure but haven't decided how or where yet. I've considered putting some sort of locking door across the whole back which, with the bed on top would hide everything and make it fairly secure. I'll keep you posted as that side of things come together.

I appreciate all the encouragement and advice! Gets me motivated to keep pushing. Hope to get back up to the van and do a ton more work this next week. Will have updates then!
jonoslade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:29 PM   #44

Came across a cool #vanlife giveaway from Goal Zero. Full solar setup, lights, bag and down jacket! Follow the link to enter. http://www.goalzero.com/giveaway/enr...553cecba64f82c
jonoslade is offline   Reply With Quote