Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2015, 11:36 AM   #31

Re: 94 Coachmen Class B

I've always really liked the look of ambulance bodies. Sleek metal (I presume they are metal anyway), all those compartments, and I prefer the light industrial look to the RV look. But i had heard they were heavy. 5,000# does sound heavy! (Although I don't really know what an equivalent other box would weigh.)

Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:28 AM   #32
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

I too had no idea or thought they'd weigh that much---yikes!

The Spartan Supreme would weigh much less simply because GVW is a concern for most operators/users of those type bodies. Because they're essentially a blank canvas doors & windows can be added pretty much anywhere without much concern it would affect ultimate body strength.

They're certainly not too pretty but from a utility and ease of access POV along with the wide open space inside they're appealing, at least IMHO.

Here's a link to Supreme: http://supremecorp.com/truck-bodies/spartan-cargo/
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:35 PM   #33

This guys rig gives me inspiration for the cutaway.

Saw these the other day while scouring the junkyard. I'll bet there is somebody out there looking for a set.

jydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:11 AM   #34

Seat swap, 2005 Nissan Altima. Mounted on the original swivel bases. All the green is gone!

Old 11-11-2015, 06:22 AM   #35

Looks nice! I bet those are a lot more comfortable too.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 06:32 AM   #36

Well another project is underway. I found a shell. The coachmen did ok towing with its little 5.8

The engine is locked up in my E350SD and I've been eyeing a 6bt in the junkyard. The easy route would be to plug another 5.4 in but that diesel sure would be nice.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:56 AM   #37

[quote="jThe engine is locked up in my E350SD and I've been eyeing a 6bt in the junkyard. The easy route would be to plug another 5.4 in but that diesel sure would be nice.[/quote]

I disagree. I mean, yeah it would be easier but the gentlemanly thing to do would be to fully document and post a 6bt swap in to your van. Do it for the community.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 04:50 AM   #38
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
The engine is locked up in my E350SD and I've been eyeing a 6bt in the junkyard. The easy route would be to plug another 5.4 in but that diesel sure would be nice.

I disagree. I mean, yeah it would be easier but the gentlemanly thing to do would be to fully document and post a 6bt swap in to your van. Do it for the community.

Agreed---however as I've heard said countless times before........."easier said than done!"
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 05:57 AM   #39

I know, it is very hard to resist. The engine just came in the junk yard a 92 6bt running for 1500 with 250k miles. Thats about what it will cost to buy a 5.4 with 70k miles on it. Two things may keep me from going this route. The first is my e350SD has 4.10 with a locking diff and I am not about to give that up. 4.10's probably wont be very diesel friendly with 2300 rpm max. The second is the amount of noise in the cab. From youtube videos ive seen the noise level is hard to talk above. I'm afraid these two things are a deal killer for me. It would probably be a better route to put a 6.8 v10 in.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:54 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jydog
The second is the amount of noise in the cab. From youtube videos ive seen the noise level is hard to talk above. I'm afraid these two things are a deal killer for me. It would probably be a better route to put a 6.8 v10 in.
That's why I like the gas engine in my E-350. The Ford diesels sounded too loud to be "in my lap" as they are in a van. I have the V-10 now, but I thought the 5.4 was a great engine and wouldn't ever have swapped it out, at least for that rig (SMB E-250 RB, PH top, 2WD). I only have the V-10 now because it came in this rig. Even towing 5,000#, the 5.4 was fine (for me anyway). I seem to get more cab heat from the V-10 (bleah).
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote