Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2016, 05:00 AM   #51
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsBeast View Post
Some guys I used to race with, took a rolled E350 Diesel ambulance, and swapped on a 15 passenger body, to use as a race trailer and crew hauling rig. They raced out of it for years. Anyhow, the dad told me it took he and the boys a weekend to swap van bodies. Might have been an exaggeration, but as I look under mine, there doesn't seem to be but one big 'ole electrical plug, the steering column, and 10 or so 5/8" body-to-chassis bolts. Then there's the lift you'd need...
Its slightly more involved than just that ^^ as you're dealing with parts not touched since the body/chassis was newly manufactured. In theory its not overly complicated----dealerships often raise the body to replace V10 engines.

Two guys, one weekend and a boatload of tools and some knowledge of the Ford vans could do this in a weekend, a bit of pre-planning involved. This link might help making that decision: Body swap: '97 on a '99 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

In that instance swapping the different years made a difference due changes in the electrical connections. Along with the body bolts and bushings being a PITA its not an impossible task for the driveway mechanics, assuming time isn't of high importance.

HTH

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:31 AM   #52

Thanks for posting that JWA, I'd rather remove an intake than the whole body any day.

I decided to document the build on youtube.

Subscribe here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIM...confirmation=1

if you want to keep up with the progress.

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
jydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:19 AM   #53

Ujoint seems to be able to lift bodies in about, hmmm, a couple hours. I'm sure he knows some tricks he might share.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 04:47 PM   #54

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Old 01-23-2016, 02:22 PM   #55

Not mine but I just stumbled across this the other day. This guy is a lot further along. Mine is a bit taller and I'll be going for a queen size bed instead of the twin I think he put in his.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:16 AM   #56

Well "Shorty" is running.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:01 AM   #57
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
The motor sounds stong, no bangin' & clangin'!

Congrats on getting this far----now to clean that interior!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:57 AM   #58

Congrats! That's a big step.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:16 AM   #59

I've done an engine swap. (on a classic car) The moment of terror is that first key turn.

Once it runs, trial and error is much more fruitful!

Thanks for sharing.
odinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:44 AM   #60

Thanks guys the real motivator was purchasing the engine. After that outlay of cash it wasn't anything I could just let sit around. I'm committed now. At least if it gets to the box truck stage I haven't lost any money. Still have to figure out how Im going to get the box on it. I thinking a few cinder blocks and some steel then drive the trailer out from under it and then back the cutaway under. Suggestions are welcome.

Now to figure out the things that need repair before I set the box on it.
Go for a ride with us