Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #111
Site Team

Garage
Re: Accrete's 2010 Chevy Express AWD project

What do they look like straight on?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #112

Here you go... it was raining out so this is not ideal :
Attached Thumbnails
AWD_TruckLiteDetails.jpg  
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:50 AM   #113
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Oh wow---I was curious about your comments regarding Truck-Lite LED H/L's looking odd---those are indeed "unusual" !

Living near the Ohio snow belt another thread here on SMB gets me thinking how these would fare in snow. Wondering if they would generate enough heat to keep ice etc forming while driving in freezing much etc.

I love the idea of an LED H/L !
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #114

On the LED H/L in snow...

I recall reading during my pre-purchase due diligence that an owner stated they did fine on low beam in snow and that he was still considering adding a pair of fog lights to help in the real adverse weather (he mentioned snow).

On the heat? I'll have to check tonight when my wife returns home. She has about a 15min drive so i don't know how much they would heat up in that time...but i'll check anyway, and report back.

Yea the looks do get peeps to comment in parking lots when they see us get out.

Thom

PS note on LED headlight operating temp...
This is not scientific by any means, but Cari's ~10-15 minute drive home tonight left the front face of the bulbs not even warm to my hand. Don't know if that was the answer anyone was looking for, but that's what i found tonight at ~55 degrees outside-temp when she arrived home.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:10 PM   #115
Site Team

Garage

I think they're cool looking. I'll bet they also run much cooler but one thing I'm not a fan of are those blue looking lights. Everybody is installing them out here and I don't get it. They throw a blue beam that is hard to see and also blind oncoming drivers.

Those look different. Do they produce a white light?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:17 AM   #116

They look cool...but I don't understand why they are in a Halogen housing. That just scatters the light everywhere and even though you can adjust it somewhat, there's still a lot of light scattering that blinds oncoming traffic and people that are being followed. I would say LED would work better in a Projector housing but I'm not a lighting expert.

The LED light bar I have on my Express is blinding...but that's kinda what it's meant for!! lol
Old 11-20-2013, 05:04 AM   #117
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

I'm guessing regardless how the LED H/L's look their housings are designed to "fit" the nature of the LED light. Truck-Lite surely didn't just plop LED elements into any old housing and hope for the best.

Not sure how much faith to put into Truck-Lite's YouTube video but here's something to view: If this new type H/L even approaches the ad hype I'd say they do the job very well, don't really scatter light beams at all and doubt projector H/L's would be all that superior.

Another video for vehicles more closely related to typical passenger-types:

If found both to be informative and quite interesting.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:45 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin
They look cool...but I don't understand why they are in a Halogen housing. That just scatters the light everywhere and even though you can adjust it somewhat, there's still a lot of light scattering that blinds oncoming traffic and people that are being followed. I would say LED would work better in a Projector housing but I'm not a lighting expert.

The LED light bar I have on my Express is blinding...but that's kinda what it's meant for!! lol
That housing is not a Halogen housing. The reflector is LED-specifiec and the lens does not have a diffuser (which is what causes most of the scatter). Because LEDs are already uni-directional, they do not need an external projector. None of the OEMs use projectors on their LED headlights. Usually however, they simply have an array to achieve enough spread. Truck-Light bucked that trend by using a reflector. If you look carefully at the new Cadillac headlights, each LED is angled slightly from each-other to broaden the pattern.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:07 AM   #119
Site Team

I contemplated the 7" round Truck Lites for my Bronco a while, but I've seen some mixed reviews of them, though that may have been of the first generation. I'm not sure how much changed with the second generation.

There's a second player in the 7" round LED headlamp market, and that's JW Speaker. I like these better, but the price tag ($800/pr) takes a bit of getting used to.

http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/headl ... filter=LED

Herb
Old 11-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #120

Greetings All : )

Continuing observations on the installed 5"x7" Truck Lite LED headlights...

On housing, Truck Lite created this specific housing for LED use. Trust me, the bulb/housing puts out a very (un scattered) usable beam.

On Color, WHITE! Blazing, but not blinding, to oncoming (tested by me in our second vehicle) and following (same test). There is not even a hint of any color. On low beams no one "flashes" us, on high, well...that would just about be cause for some road rage.

On Temp, yup, as stated, no real heat sensed by palm of hand beyond a Luke-warm.

On 7" Round... yes there is now a second gen bulb according to their website (and some Jeep 4x4 supply house' YouTube comparison i saw).

Thom

Tags
aluminess, awd, promaster