Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2013, 12:43 AM   #121

Re: Accrete's 2010 Chevy Express AWD project

Cool!! Thanks for the clear up guys, that makes sense!! When I did my HID/Projector conversion from a standard halogen healight, that housing reminded me and looked very much like a halogen.

Glad to see that isn't the case!!

Old 11-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #122
Site Team

Garage

Can you make a judgment call on how much better they are compared to the Silverstar bulbs? I'd also be interested in how well they do in fog.
Thanks

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #123

Hi Dave, maybe someone can chime in on the Silverstar line, i'm not familiar with them other than my quick google search just now.

On the Fog topic? My wife says that she can see ok on low beams, much better than the stock chevy on low and she has decided to go through this fog _season_ with just these LEDs and make the call on weather we install fog lights (maybe something like the Hella 550s we could mount below the front bumper.)

Thom
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:19 PM   #124
Site Team

Garage

Thanks. I still don't see a direct replacement for the E-series from them yet...maybe in time.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:04 AM   #125
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

I'm running the SilverStar H6054's sealed beam H/L's----have a huge disdain for the composite H/L systems overall.

My impression is the SS's are quite a bit brighter than standard halogen sealed beams, more white but not so much so they border on being blue. Pattern is certainly wider however even careful aiming doesn't really push the light out far enough to really suit me. That's not to say they're not a huge improvement over typical or standard bulbs, would highly recommend them for city driving.

Haven't really tested them in fog or heavy snowfall---I tend to keep off the roads during any of that weather!

I'm very intrigued if the LED H/L's are able to "project" their beam further in front, not as concerned with a wider light pattern.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:41 AM   #126

Go to Rigid and look up the distances they have for various combinations. They have some that reach out, some that have a wide beam, and others that are in combination. These are not vehicle headlights, per se; but the numbers will show you what the little buggers are capable of in the right body and in the right power.

Personally, I'd never use them for regular headlights; but there will be several of them on the front of my van for auxiliary lighting. I plan to put a couple of amber ones that reach out way far in the Aluminess as my fogs, a couple of wide beam whites on the outside of the Aluminess to see around corners and (hopefully) help with tracking in the dark--something I hope I never, ever do. I'll put some on a light bar over the windshield. I haven't decided yet what the combination of those will be. For some of those, I'm buying a clip-on amber cover to help with really, really bad fog or dust. Lastly, I'll put some less-powerful ones on the rear and sides.

I'm expecting the Rigid's to put almost no load on my starting batteries, even if the van's off for a short while, contrary to the halogen juice suckers.

JC
Old 12-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #127

now you are making me wish I didn't swap out your style of grille and lights, for the composite grille and lights on my express van. I have also been following along on your build and have been considering the fender flares and mudflaps. I did the bedliner stripe down mine first thing since all vans tend to rust pretty quick on the bottoms.
tsbrewers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #128

thx for the visit.

On the grille, as you know ours has the totally plane-jane commercial cheapo. When shopping in fall of 2010 i found only 2 GMC and 1 Chevy AWD vans within ~500 miles of us. And so had to settle with the look. At the time i didn't realize the simplicity of design also allowed for easy swaps of lights rather than the nice looking euro design on the upgraded grille.

And as a clarifying FYI...you might have read we took the flaps and flares off now that it is Rhino Lined? Neither will go back on as we like this look, and feel there would be no benefit by having the flaps/flares at this point for protections sake.

Cheers!
Thom
Old 12-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbrewers
now you are making me wish I didn't swap out your style of grille and lights, for the composite grille and lights on my express van. I have also been following along on your build and have been considering the fender flares and mudflaps. I did the bedliner stripe down mine first thing since all vans tend to rust pretty quick on the bottoms.

You could always convert them to Projectors like I did...

Old 12-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #130

that's a nice look spoolin.

Tags
aluminess, awd, promaster