Greetings ladies and gents !
I've been following this thread for quite a while, and wanted to say a huge THANKS to Accrete for keeping the dialogue alive.
I've finally pulled the trigger on a 2011 Chevy Express, 5.3L v8 AwD. The vehicle came with a Sportsmobile pop-top installed, and an American Racing wheel-set. Unfortunately, I think this wheel-set doesn't actually fit the vehicle properly, and I'll either have to get a leveling kit, small lift to accommodate, or just get some different wheels. I got it with 89k on it, so for my modification I'm going to keep it lean and Spartan. No plumbed gas or water. I'll just use a coleman double burner and some water jugs. Works for me !
Next steps -
1) Insulation - I'll most likely go with a Reflectix BP48050 Bubble Pack insulation, then add some Wise Industries Pro Van liner as the "siding". I'm trying to go light, so I'm staying away from wood walls here.
2) Upgrade the front bumper & lights. Lots of critters on the road here in the Tetons, especially at night, and I'm ALREADY starting to see some rust from rock chips in the bumper - Anybody have any recommendations for bumpers aside from ARB ? How about lights ? I'm looking for something bright. Seems like you have been happy with those Truck Lite LED's, eh Thom ? Would you go a different route or stick with those ?
3) Storage - I think I'm going to get some stuff made from these guys -> http://www.truckvault.com/
Looks like a legit option.
4) Swivel base for shotgun seat
5) New speakers =)
6) Deep cell battery to keep things charged !
That should keep me set for a while.... At least till I can afford a real Sportsmobile - hehe
How has that 3m carbon hood wrap held up ? I'm tempted to just cover mine in Rhino-liner instead. Thoughts ? ( I only ask cause I already see rock chips in my hood )
Also - Rhino liner on the "running board" area vs raptor liner ? Any benefits to going Rhino ? I really like the look, plus the benefits of protection.
I'll post some photos as I build her out so you folks can follow along.
Cheers to van life !