Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2021, 07:16 AM   #1

Adapt Ford van running boards to Dodge?

Has anyone done this? Just beginning to research this wrinkle for the Dodgect. We both need assistance climbing into our B350, into the front seats and also through the side doors. I like the full-length alloy board/step thingies and figure they'll help a lot but can find no info on fit. There's very little available for a Dodge van and much more for the Ford, so I'd like to be able to use what's available for a reasonable price. Not interested in the fiberglass-covered tube framework that bolt on; would much rather have the flat alloy steps but I don't want to buy new on a guess.

I probably need to find a set in a junkyard and wing it.

Thanks for the input.

Old 12-23-2021, 07:29 AM   #2

Maybe consider universal crew cab pickup running boards. Length should be close.

E-series running boards will be too long.
Old 12-23-2021, 09:58 AM   #3

I'll have to measure and compare the distances from front-to-rear wheel openings on the two brands. Truck steps might work but I really want a flat step and not some tubelike device with flattened areas to step on.
Old 12-24-2021, 09:23 AM   #4
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
These guys might have something you can use: https://runningboardwarehouse.com/

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 12:33 PM   #5

Thanks, I'll give that some consideration. A product like their commercial running boards is what I have in mind but they only list for Ford, prompting a re-ask of my original question.
Old 12-25-2021, 08:23 AM   #6
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by campism View Post
Thanks, I'll give that some consideration. A product like their commercial running boards is what I have in mind but they only list for Ford, prompting a re-ask of my original question.
You should shy away from that type as they require thru-holes drilled into the body for mounting (rocker panels, rear quarter panel & fender. Since so few pay no attention to rust prevention when modifying a vehicle this is a high-risk practice.

Additionally that type board pretty much requires additional bracing to strengthen them along their length. FWIW that type running board was and is still found on thousands of van's of all brands and descriptions.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 07:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
You should shy away from that type as they require thru-holes drilled into the body for mounting (rocker panels, rear quarter panel & fender. Since so few pay no attention to rust prevention when modifying a vehicle this is a high-risk practice.

Additionally that type board pretty much requires additional bracing to strengthen them along their length. FWIW that type running board was and is still found on thousands of van's of all brands and descriptions.
The trick is finding a junker that has them so I can grab them cheaply. I'm not worried about the bodywork on mine; it's far from perfect and I'll take reasonable precautions when drilling.

I assume such a board already has additional bracing going to the van's frame and is not mounted just at the wheel arches. My '94, incidentally, measures about 94" from the back of the front arch to the front of the rear arch.

I'm unlikely to spend hundreds of bucks on this part of the project. Any likely looking set of boards I can get cheap is what I'll try. After all, this project has been described as low-buck and half-assed.
Old 01-11-2022, 10:37 AM   #8

Much diligent searching has led me to a couple of Dodge vans being parted out and they feature running boards like the ones pictured above, so I will probably go with those.

Thanks for the input.
Old 01-11-2022, 11:23 AM   #9

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=...jYQwg96BAgBEGQ

What about something like this? You could d
Potentially drill thru the floor at the original step, add some thick fender washers to distribute the weight.
toates89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 12:33 PM   #10

Thought about that and it might be a last resort. I'd need at least three of them; one for the driver's door, the passenger's door and at least one side door. I think we'd prefer the long boards simply for the variety of possible foot positions. Never having used them I can't say, but neither of us has the energy for a clamber every time we get in or out. Offroad clearance or interference should never become a problem for our anticipated usage.