Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2013, 10:30 PM   #1

Air Vents / Circulation

I did a search and didn't find what I was looking for...

I want to know/see what others have done to create fresh air ventilation for year-round use.

I know there are many thoughts, opinions and safety issues with the use of a buddy heater. I don't really have too many options on my budget, but want to overcome the safety part.

I decided to do some work in the van with my buddy heater last week to test efficiency and test for problems. I cracked the windows and got to work.

Works just fine to heat the space, but I created way too much condensation inside. I don't think it was dangerous due to its short usage time. I am not looking to heat the van overnight. I simply want to be able to run it for 15-20 min at night before bed and 15-20min in the morning to knock the edge off.

So, I need to circulate and draw in fresh air. How? A fan, yes I know. Do I need one for drawing in and one for pushing out? Where should they be placed?

Thanks,
Michael

2horsegarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #2

Air Vents / Circulation

Your manual should tell you how big the opening should be. See page 2 under general safety instructions the seventh bullet down. http://www.mrheater.com/upload/newslett ... 009_US.pdf
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:37 AM   #3

Re: Air Vents / Circulation

OK, so do I need something bringing in air too? How do I make the hole? Cover it? Keep the van water tight? Where?
2horsegarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:53 AM   #4

I too own a mr heater. I've yet to find/think of a safe circulation design. For us, we just use remote starter fob from beneath the blankets and let engine (gas) do the heating for 10 mins. We take heater for outdoors and backup.

This guy seems to ignore the fumes issue.

[youtube:3opyhw9z]
Old 01-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #5

we've gone through 2 years of camping adventures with our Chevy AWD WESTY-Like conversion and here is what is working for us rain or shine.

Air Circulation:
Driver and Passenger front windows have the window-tech rain guards and the passenger window has a no-see-um screen attached by velcro. This allows us to crack the passenger window a good two inches even in rain to let air in. Then on the roof we have a fantastic fan set to exhaust.

Heat Source:
If we want to "take the edge off" we will use the HeatMate 5200 alcohol stove/heater to heat the van interior. AND as a bonus, during the same time i can put a kettle on and boil water for coffee in the morning, or hot tea at night.

If we fill up the HeatMate with an ounce of alcohol, it will simply burn itself out safely in about 15 minutes or so, and the water has boiled by then also.

Cheers,
Thom
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #6

I also have those front window guards, and just crack both windows them for camping. Completely eliminates condensation.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #7

There are mr. buddy heaters that have oxygen depletion sensors and shut off if the oxygen gets to low (and approved for indoor use). You could also get a CO detector and a propane detector for some redundant safety systems. If you have a roof vent and crack a window you should be fine.

http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=41&id=338

http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=41&id=24

johnnygmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

My buddy (no pun intended) also uses a Buddy Heater in his tent with no problems but tents are open to ventilation to a point. He uses it in the vestibule rather than inside the tent. Works well. If the windows were cracked in a van, I don't see a problem.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote