Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2020, 03:47 PM   #1

Alignment troubles

Hello All,
I've recently put a Ford Parts One 2 inch lift and stiffer Moog springs on my 2013 E350 XLT 2wd which ending up lifting the front end +/- 3 inches. I've been trying to get the front end aligned (camber was was originally waaaayyy out). They were able to get it close but it's still 1.6 and 1.9 degrees out (according to the local shop the specified range is -.3 to 1.3 so I guess it's pretty close. The explanation the local shop gave is the following--

The front alignment camber is outside the
> manufacturer specified range. The specified range is -.3 to 1.3 and
> my camber is positive 1.9 right side and 1.6 left side. In addition,
> the caster is lower than the specified range at positive 1.8 right
> side and 2.0 left side. Camber/caster sleeves were installed to get
> the camber/caster this close to the specified range. The
> camber/caster sleeves installed are 2.0. sleeves and higher sleeves
> (2.5 or 3.0 degree) cannot be installed due to no steering knuckle
> to axle clearance.

They also told me that if it was just the 2 inch block lift they could get it aligned but it's the extra +/- 1 inch that's making it impossible.
I've seen many have done a similar front end lift whether with blocks and springs or just springs that have lifted the front end and seemingly many are in the three inch range. Have any of you successfully aligned the front end and, if so, how?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

mikewmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:56 PM   #2

You cant lift a twin I-beam suspension that far without either lowering the I-beam mounting brackets on the engine X-member, or bending the actual I-beam itself.
Chinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:03 PM   #3

Thanks @chinook or the quick reply. The first solution is what my local shop recommended but he had no luck locating parts to do this. Any thoughts on where I might be able to find the parts or, have a professional bend the I-beam (assuming this solution is a safe one).
mikewmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:50 PM   #4

Weldtec is the only place i know of that sells bent I-beams. I have some on mine that will be forsale next summer. As far as brackets go......Action Van Suspension - System Details - Ford Van Lift Kits

Im thinking that neither is going to break up a kit to sell individual components, but who knows.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:05 PM   #5

Garage
You may be able to find a shop that can bend the IBeams. On an older van a shop bent my beams, said it was the only way to adhust it.
Old 09-29-2020, 03:55 PM   #6

Where are you located? Advance Trac RSC? Bending I Beams is the best way to go. Back in the day of real alignments for FORD, bending I beams was the way to go!
LeadDoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:10 PM   #7

Short of going to a frame shop its hard to find anyone today that still has an alignment rack thats equiped to bend I-beams. To further complicate the issue the beams have stamping on them that clearly states in common english "DO NOT BEND". With that said most shops will simply refuse even if they have the equipment simply because they dont want the assumed risk of liability should they break an I-beam or worst yet, one breaks after the vehicle leaves the shop. Radius arm drop brackets will increase caster as will using longer radius arms and relocating the mounting brackets on the frame further back.

Its a tricky deal, its not as simple as just start bending I-beams. If it isnt done by someone with proper equipment and knowledge they could actually end up twisting the I-beam while bending it only to further complicate your problems.

I think we all know that the alignment bushings are a compromise when it comes to caster/camber. The above mentioned modifications build in more caster effectively freeing up more of the bushings for adjusting camber.

Your first attempt at resolving the issue should be a pair of radius arm drop brackets. Then take it back in to have the alignment adjusted again to see if they added enough caster to solve the issue. If not then your looking at spending some coinage on bent I-beams ect....

By lowering the end of the radius arms via the use of drop brackets you are effectively rotating the I-beams along with the radius arms which in turn is moving the ball joint centerline to increase caster. Course theres a limit when doing this because you can only drop so far before you put your I-beam bushings in a twisted position they arent designed to function in longterm.
Old 10-04-2020, 12:11 PM   #8

It did the same thing to my van. Moog sells a adjustable kit for camber and caster. It will add or subtract 4* each way. I thing the moog # K80109. Got my alignment into spec. Worked perfectly. Carl
01fordvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:06 AM   #9

https://mcbayperformance.com/
4+/- degree bushings recommended by Ford Parts One.
I was having similar issues.
MOTOMINDED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:30 AM   #10

Apparently theres a reading comprehension plague going around. The man clearly stated as follows......

"The camber/caster sleeves installed are 2.0. sleeves and higher sleeves
(2.5 or 3.0 degree) cannot be installed due to no steering knuckle to axle clearance."

It does no good to install fancy smancy $40 dollar alignment bushings if your knuckle is already hitting the inner C.